private vs. state dental schools.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMDman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
which do you guys think is better? i know private schools cost an arm and a leg to go to, but they must be extra expensive for a reason. i dont start my application process for another year but i really want to attend the University of Pacific because its program is only three years. but the tuition is almost double that of other schools ($215,000 for the three years of attendance). and not to mention the high cost of living in San Fancisco. do you guys think its worth it to pay the extra money? Also do you guys think that dentists who graduate from this school is less experienced than graduates from other schools because of graduating a year ealier?

Members don't see this ad.

The price of UOP is comparable to other schools because it is only 3 years. If you count the oportunity cost of the fourth year when you are working, it may work out to be cheaper. Anyway, UOP is a great school. I think a lot of people think it's impossible to do what everyone else does in 4 years in 3, but my take on it was that it was just more intense. You start doing clinical stuff from the very beginning - which a lot of other schools don't do. When you interview there, they explain to you how they do it - and I think in California, the school has a great reputation. Good luck!

To the OP:

I can't comment on whether or not I think UOP students get the short end of the stick due to only attending for 3 years. Anything I, or anybody else says, would merely be speculation. I'm sure UOP graduates students that are spectacular, and some that are far less than that and probably shouldn't pick up a handpiece.

As for the tuition, if I were you, I'd broaden my scope a little bit. UOP is a good school, but there are certainly places you could attend for 1/3 that cost of tuition.

Private schools are expensive, traditionally, because they are subsidized by the state. State schools have a lower tuition because students don't see the portion that the state is actually paying for.

Members don't see this ad :)
DMDman said:
which do you guys think is better? i know private schools cost an arm and a leg to go to, but they must be extra expensive for a reason. i dont start my application process for another year but i really want to attend the University of Pacific because its program is only three years. but the tuition is almost double that of other schools ($215,000 for the three years of attendance). and not to mention the high cost of living in San Fancisco. do you guys think its worth it to pay the extra money? Also do you guys think that dentists who graduate from this school is less experienced than graduates from other schools because of graduating a year ealier?
Yeah, the extra cost comes from not getting any tax subsidization the way public schools do. If that's what you want to do, go for it.

I talked to a dentist who graduated in the late '90s from UOP. He said it was very intense but they get great clinical training. He said not to worry about the debt; if you're responsible and don't buy expensive cars you can manage the loans. He's currently working as an associate on the peninsula (bay area) with plans to buy out a retiring dentist. He felt that he got superior clinical training compared to the other SF school.

Who knows? I guess we'll have to see for ourselves.

KMF said:
The price of UOP is comparable to other schools because it is only 3 years. If you count the oportunity cost of the fourth year when you are working, it may work out to be cheaper. Anyway, UOP is a great school. I think a lot of people think it's impossible to do what everyone else does in 4 years in 3, but my take on it was that it was just more intense. You start doing clinical stuff from the very beginning - which a lot of other schools don't do. When you interview there, they explain to you how they do it - and I think in California, the school has a great reputation. Good luck!

Somebody has obviously taken some economics...good point KMF.

I've got a friend going to an expensive 3 year pharmacy school. We did some calculating and figured that he will make the money back by working that one year that he would have been in school. So he went for it on the basis that he would rather work, and pay off debt than be cramming for exams for a whole extra year. Sounded good to me.

As a graduate of UOP I would have to say it was worth the money when I went there. But now I have a friend there and he will be 300k (living expenses + school) in debt when he graduates which is a ton. Its a 1500 loan payment for 30 years at a low interest rate. Clincially I do not think you can go to a better school, but there are probably some that are just as good. After spending time with graduates of other schools in an AEGD, I would have to say you will be far better off than most by going to UOP.

KMF said:
You start doing clinical stuff from the very beginning - which a lot of other schools don't do.

A very common comment from some dental schools, which essentially means next to nothing.

It isn't possible to do clinical stuff from the very beginning, unless you are a janitor of some sort.

Schools actually mean to say "preclinical stuff".