MD Probably going to reapply 2014-2015 -- what should I aim to improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EthylMethylMan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
White male NY resident. I got five interviews this cycle. Two ended in rejections, one ended in wait list, and I'm still waiting on two more decisions. I'm gonna be graduating from undergrad at the end of this semester, and it looks like I can get a 4.0 as long as I keep on top of my work. Additionally, I'm finishing up laboratory research (organic chemistry) right now. Not sure if it has the potential to get published, though. But assuming the 4.0 pans out, what do you think my best course of action would be to make my application more competitive?

Stats as of applying Summer 2013:

Majors: Forensic biology and pre-medical biology
Minor: Chemistry

MCAT: 13/10/13 (July 2013, scores were released some time in mid August)

cGPA: 3.65
sGPA: 3.51
Good upward GPA trend for both (previous 4 semesters: 3.91, 3.69, 4.00, 3.76)

AMCAS Extracurriculars:

*-TA for my university's chemistry department for two semesters (since Fall 2012)
*-Worked 400-ish hours over the Summer of 2011 at the emergency department of a local hospital with more responsibilities than a volunteer would have (can perform CPR on a patient if necessary, can transport more kinds of patients/samples, etc.)
-Volunteered 160+ hours over the Summer of 2012 in the emergency department of the very same local hospital
-Helped to conduct clinical research for 100+ hours over the Summer of 2013 at a different hospital than the one I was at for the previous two years
*-Took jiu jitsu for twelve years, up until I left for undergrad. By the end, I had earned a second degree black belt; I still practice it outside of the dojo
-In the honors program at my university
-Helped foreign students from China organize a Chinese cultural performance for a total of about 10 hours; used Mandarin Chinese to communicate fairly frequently
-Inducted into my university's chapter of the Honor Society for Experiential education; I had to take a course that involved community service and maintain a GPA within the top 20% of my graduating class to qualify
-Volunteered with my creative writing class at the English department of an inner-city high school; my classmates and I helped the students write and revise poetry for a total of about 5 hours

* = marked as most meaningful on AMCAS

Submitted AMCAS on June 10th, MCAT scores received on

Members don't see this ad.

White male NY resident. I got five interviews this cycle. Two ended in rejections, one ended in wait list, and I'm still waiting on two more decisions. I'm gonna be graduating from undergrad at the end of this semester, and it looks like I can get a 4.0 as long as I keep on top of my work. Additionally, I'm finishing up laboratory research (organic chemistry) right now. Not sure if it has the potential to get published, though. But assuming the 4.0 pans out, what do you think my best course of action would be to make my application more competitive?

Stats as of applying Summer 2013:

Majors: Forensic biology and pre-medical biology
Minor: Chemistry

MCAT: 13/10/13 (July 2013, scores were released some time in mid August)

cGPA: 3.65
sGPA: 3.51
Good upward GPA trend for both (previous 4 semesters: 3.91, 3.69, 4.00, 3.76)

AMCAS Extracurriculars:

*-TA for my university's chemistry department for two semesters (since Fall 2012)
*-Worked 400-ish hours over the Summer of 2011 at the emergency department of a local hospital with more responsibilities than a volunteer would have (can perform CPR on a patient if necessary, can transport more kinds of patients/samples, etc.)
-Volunteered 160+ hours over the Summer of 2012 in the emergency department of the very same local hospital
-Helped to conduct clinical research for 100+ hours over the Summer of 2013 at a different hospital than the one I was at for the previous two years
*-Took jiu jitsu for twelve years, up until I left for undergrad. By the end, I had earned a second degree black belt; I still practice it outside of the dojo
-In the honors program at my university
-Helped foreign students from China organize a Chinese cultural performance for a total of about 10 hours; used Mandarin Chinese to communicate fairly frequently
-Inducted into my university's chapter of the Honor Society for Experiential education; I had to take a course that involved community service and maintain a GPA within the top 20% of my graduating class to qualify
-Volunteered with my creative writing class at the English department of an inner-city high school; my classmates and I helped the students write and revise poetry for a total of about 5 hours

* = marked as most meaningful on AMCAS

Submitted AMCAS on June 10th, MCAT scores received on
Nonmedical community service looks weak (10+5 hours); something more regular for a cause you care about would be nice to see. And you didn't mention physician shadowing. Peer leadership?