Problem with GPA and Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fnc54

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a rising junior premed. This summer, I am taking physics 1 at my university. Unfortunately, it is not going very well so far (2/3 exams through). I currently have a B in the course. The problem at my school is that physics counts as 5 credit hours, so it has a heavy impact on GPA. My GPA coming into this course was 3.97, and I calculated that this course (if I get a B) will drop that .08 (!!) points to a 3.89, with physics 2 presumably adding to the damage next semester.

Additionally, I will be taking Spanish classes starting next semester, and those didn't go too smoothly for me in high school.

With these challenges coming up next semester, I think that my GPA may drop even more perhaps to below a 3.8 by the time I plan to apply next summer.

How much of an impact will this drop have on my application? I am pretty disappointed that after working very hard over the past two years to earn good grades, I am faltering during year of the application.

Members don't see this ad.

Small drops in a high GPA will have very minimal impact on admissions. Now calm down and stop obsessing over ever little thing

Reactions: 1 users
How much of an impact will this drop have on my application? I am pretty disappointed that after working very hard over the past two years to earn good grades, I am faltering during year of the application.

It's so hard to not be a jackass right now... You'll be fine, a B in a couple classes will not hurt your application, I applied with a 3.5 and got into medical school, a lot of people would kill to have your GPA. Just keep up the good work.

Reactions: 2 users
You're going to get some snarky answers for freaking out over a B... your worst case scenario of a 3.8 is still very strong, relax.

Reactions: 1 user