Problems recertifying MGIB?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Navy1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am former Navy now civilian PGY3 and have been getting MGIB since starting residency. My school is now saying that all residents and fellows cannot be recerified to continue getting GIB benefits because of a recent audit by VA saying these are not "degree seeking programs". Anybody else running into this? I know several others at my program getting shut out as well.

Members don't see this ad.

****, I'm still trying to get my program initially certified (started back in September, still negligible progress, fellowship begins this July). I hope this isn't a VA-wide opinion, so I can get one year of benefits, at least.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I got paid for January and February. Seems like a certifying official being a giant d-bag. But I'd be interested in hearing if others are having this problem.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For the non-military instruction literate...what does that all mean?

UPDATE: My certifying official STILL says they are technically not supposed to certify us per the "audit" by VA. HOWEVER, they are doing it anyway, likely because of how many pissed off people there are here.

I forwarded her the pertinent CFRs and the excerpts from the SCO handbook and she claims she was already familiar with those references.

As of today, the VA has my stuff and is sending my money. I'll call it a win.

What a horrible person. Why?