Problems with balloon tamponade to treat PPH in developing countries ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDG5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am currently working on a project on improving maternal health in developing countries - particularly improving the design/usage of balloon tamponade to treat PPH in developing countries.

Has anyone worked in developing countries and used balloon tamponade to treat PPH at both the hospital and community level (ie. home births) ? I know in some poorer countries they put together a condom and a straw to manage PPH (because they cannot afford proper ones designed by Utah Medical Products or Cook Medical). What other kinds of low cost or low tech balloon tamponade have you used and what problems (preparation time etc.) do you find with these ? I know the inflated condoms may not follow the shape of the uterine - does that mean it is not as effective as the proper ones used in developed countries ? Does anyone know how much these balloon tamponade catheter sets made by Utah Medical Products and Cook Medical costs ? Also has anyone encountered any problems when using these properly designed balloon tamponade catheter sets ?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have any international experience; however, in asking my colleagues about your question, the common remedy cited was "pitocin soaked kerlix gauze!" The strategy involved soaking the gauze in pitocin and then inserting it into the cavity and leaving a tail in the vagina for later removal. No one had experience with the balloons (i.e. Bakri).

Best of luck!