Productivity Enhancement via iPod Touch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Esviel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so i just blew $300 on an iPod touch. not a penny wasted. it has already proven ridiculously useful. however, with my pre-med career starting in september, i need to fully utlilize its awesomeness....I can't be playing airhockey, tetris, and super nintendo on it forever haha. some applications i have that would actually help me with work are textedit, a dictionary/thesaurus, and a periodic table (amazingly detailed). also i have on the ipod a program that will allow me to view my computer screen and control my computer from my ipod touch's screen (touchpad pro) as long as my computer is hooked up to wifi.

okay so i figure i can do research for projects, write papers/lab reports, etc all from my ipod touch without needing to lug around a laptop, which i guess would be pretty convienient, but is there anything else i might need? thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

ok so how did you get these programs for the ipod touch? did you have to unlock the ipod? or can you buy these applications legit?

What happened to the good old days when people listened to music on iPods?

Members don't see this ad :)
things you should have to succeed incollege:

computer to type of papers
internet connection for class websites (e.g. blackboard), wikipedia.org, and scholar.google.com
textbooks (or library card)
pens, pencils, paper, calculator
1 sturdy backpack
a good work ethic

everything else is just gravy.

What happened to the good old days when people listened to music on iPods?

last year, i talked to a 17 year old high school senior who didn't know what a walkman was :eek:

things you should have to succeed incollege:

computer to type of papers
internet connection for class websites (e.g. blackboard), wikipedia.org, and scholar.google.com
textbooks (or library card)
pens, pencils, paper, calculator
1 sturdy backpack
a good work ethic

everything else is just gravy.

I think a quiet place to crash is important

starting a pre-med career is just plain stupid. Why not start 4 great years of college, having fun, and doing well enough, but not wasting forever in the library. Maybe when you start med school you can start worrying, but for now, your about to be a freshman, don't let these years go to waste

okay so i figure i can do research for projects, write papers/lab reports, etc all from my ipod touch without needing to lug around a laptop, which i guess would be pretty convienient, but is there anything else i might need? thanks!!

i find the notepad and the calendar functions to be REALLY helpful for managing my day. it's really sad because without the calendar function i would not be able to remember all the crap i have to do (EC's, lab meetings, etc.). that combined with the fact that i listen to music like 24/7 makes it ideal.

also, the wifi is really useful for checking email etc. when you're just waiting for lecture to start or something.

my only regret is that I should have got the iphone instead so my pockets dont weigh like 5 pounds total.

oh yea, i might be the only idiot who didn't know this, but i realized that the battery life is like 100% extended if you switch off wifi when you don't need it.

I have a question about the Touch. Since its not a phone like the iphone is how do internet charges work on that thing? Or are there none?

I have a question about the Touch. Since its not a phone like the iphone is how do internet charges work on that thing? Or are there none?
It's like wifi on your laptop. You pay only if the wifi service requires you too. Other than that, there are no fees.

ok so how did you get these programs for the ipod touch? did you have to unlock the ipod? or can you buy these applications legit?
I have all the apps on my touch and it is jailbroken. Jailbreaking is not illegal it is 100% legal and u can get tons of cool stuff on ur ipod touch/iphone. NES emulators to get ALL nintendo games like Super mario, contra, loderunner etc. Like the OP said the periodic table is the most comprehensive one i've seen in all my life! Let me know if u have any questions.

i find the notepad and the calendar functions to be REALLY helpful for managing my day. it's really sad because without the calendar function i would not be able to remember all the crap i have to do (EC's, lab meetings, etc.). that combined with the fact that i listen to music like 24/7 makes it ideal.

also, the wifi is really useful for checking email etc. when you're just waiting for lecture to start or something.

my only regret is that I should have got the iphone instead so my pockets dont weigh like 5 pounds total.

oh yea, i might be the only idiot who didn't know this, but i realized that the battery life is like 100% extended if you switch off wifi when you don't need it.

Yes, you should have gotten the iPhone. It's AMAZING!!! I love my iPhone. Will never have a regular phone again, mainly because I can't seem to remember my own schedule without iCal anymore. It's amazing how dependent we become.

bsborder said:
starting a pre-med career is just plain stupid. Why not start 4 great years of college, having fun, and doing well enough, but not wasting forever in the library. Maybe when you start med school you can start worrying, but for now, your about to be a freshman, don't let these years go to waste

Umm....ok sure. :)

tensyle said:

Everything you need to know here.

paranoid_eyes said:

if WiFi drains the battery, then SSH is a complete parasite.

Stupid Q, nevermind