Prof agreed to write LOR, now won't respond to e-mails! what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caffeineaholic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The prof I was relying upon to write my only humanities LOR isn't responding to my e-mails. His LOR is the only one left that I'm waiting on, but I can't have my school send my LOR packet until his is sent in. He agreed to write a LOR for me back in May and I've been following up for the past few months. I thought he'd be great as LOR writer since i was one of maybe 12 students in an intensive course, and i went to office hours weekly. I last heard from him two weeks ago and he said he'd try to get to it soon, but didn't mention any dates. i tried following up to get a better idea of when, but he hasn't responded to my e-mails and I don't have a phone number for him (since he's away from my university for the summer).

Should I just wait patiently and hope that he'll submit it within the next few weeks (so i can submit my secondaries), or should I frantically try to find another LOR writer? Two weeks isn't THAT long ago (maybe he went on vacation?), am I being over-anxious?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd give the guy a bit more time. I mean, you're right, he could be on vacation, or something.

If he said he'd write it only two weeks ago, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and trust he'll write it. For the record, I usually give my letter writers a couple of months -- so two weeks to me seems like nothin'.

The prof I was relying upon to write my only humanities LOR isn't responding to my e-mails. His LOR is the only one left that I'm waiting on, but I can't have my school send my LOR packet until his is sent in. He agreed to write a LOR for me back in May and I've been following up for the past few months. I thought he'd be great as LOR writer since i was one of maybe 12 students in an intensive course, and i went to office hours weekly. I last heard from him two weeks ago and he said he'd try to get to it soon, but didn't mention any dates. i tried following up to get a better idea of when, but he hasn't responded to my e-mails and I don't have a phone number for him (since he's away from my university for the summer).

Should I just wait patiently and hope that he'll submit it within the next few weeks (so i can submit my secondaries), or should I frantically try to find another LOR writer? Two weeks isn't THAT long ago (maybe he went on vacation?), am I being over-anxious?

I realize that this is frustrating, but at this time of the year (i.e. summer) if instructors are not teaching, the are usually persona non grata...they aren't ignoring you necessarily...but probably anyone who is emailing...he may just be on vacation...if I were you, I would just push on...I'm not sure how much a humanities professor's LOR would play, but I would concentrate more on Science or professional letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I asked him in person at the beginning of May (maybe even the end of April) and he agreed to write it. I left the form for my school's LOR service at his office, but he didn't receive them (thinks they might have been thrown out by the cleaning crew). I mailed him another form (he's teaching at a different school for the summer), and he received it in early June. He asked when it was due and I told him June 15 (to have some built-in time). And after following up (after June 15 came and went and no letter yet). he just replied two weeks ago to say he'd do it 'soon.' I have no phone number for him, else I'd call. I even e-mailed the secretary at the school he's teaching at for the summer to find his contact info there, but she just gave me his e-mail address that i've been using all along (to no avail) as his contact info. frustrating.

I'd give the guy a bit more time. I mean, you're right, he could be on vacation, or something.

If he said he'd write it only two weeks ago, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and trust he'll write it. For the record, I usually give my letter writers a couple of months -- so two weeks to me seems like nothin'.

Also, all of my science letters are in so this is the only LOR I'm waiting on. My school's LOR service has students select a 'packet' of LORs to send to schools and once the packet is created, it can't be changed (no letters added or removed). I pretty much need this LOR before I can have my packet complete and can send out my LORs, and thus have my secondaries at some schools completed.

Wish I could help you but I'm in the same boat. Well I'm not applying until next year but I'm afraid my prof will forget me by then. :( I've written follow up letters over a month ago (2 of them) and still have heard nothing. :(

I would go to his department and see if they can help with a contact # or something. He HAS to have some way of being reached, you probably just don't know it. The department should have his phone #, and you should be able to convince them to call him.

I have a similar problem, my professor was not accessible by e-mail OR office phone #, and when I finally got in touch with the secretary, she said he was somewhere in New Zealand backpacking, so I will have to wait till he returns.

LOR = the biggest stress of my whole application.

I asked one of my writers back on April 9th and he STILL hasn't done it. I went to see him yesterday and he said it was his "number one priority at the moment" and said he should get it done soon. Of course, he also told me point blank he'd write it by early last week...*sigh*

One of my research mentors wrote me her letter while on vacation on the other side of the country. I want to buy her flowers.

Reactions: 1 user
This must be some kind of unspoken rule among LOR writers. They always promise them for you, then hide and stop returning emails.

You could try sending him a thank you note for writing your LOR. It might guilt him into getting it done sooner. I'm about to try that approach myself. I gave my writers until Aug 1st, but two recommenders got their letters in immediately, so now I don't wanna wait that long for the third one. I'm hoping a thank you note might speed her along...

This is exactly what's been happening to me. I, however, got very desperate, and eventually found a working cell phone number! It sounds like this may be very difficult/impossible for you. Do you know of any other professors that are friends with this one? Maybe you can do some asking around. Good luck - I know *exactly* how much this sucks.

You could try sending him a thank you note for writing your LOR. It might guilt him into getting it done sooner. I'm about to try that approach myself. I gave my writers until Aug 1st, but two recommenders got their letters in immediately, so now I don't wanna wait that long for the third one. I'm hoping a thank you note might speed her along...
this can also backfire though. I once emailed a professor a request to join his class, then a few days later sent him an email thanking him when I had been added to the roster.

there was some kind of error and he had not actually added me to the roster, so he took my email as a wise ass comment and got REALLY pissed at me.

I was in a silimar position. My research prof. said he'd have it in soon. He then went to S. Korea for like 3 weeks and nothing happened so I freaked out and tried to email him, which didn't work. In the end he eventually sent it in. But as of now (mid-July) I think most secondaries are starting to come in, so I understand how you could feel anxious. If he's doing summer courses you might flag him down. If not, you could find out where he lives and send him something; knock on his door, etc.

All kidding aside, I don't know why he wouldn't respond to emails, unless he's on vacation; which is the most likely scenario. If he's using interfolio or something like that it could take him like 5 minutes to upload it. If I were you I'd keep on him to make sure he sends it since it's getting close to the wire. Good Luck:thumbup:

I went through this last year with a professor of mine. My best advice would be to send e-mail reminders every few weeks, as you've been doing, but most importantly: ASK SOMEONE ELSE ASAP. Send an e-mail explaining your situation to any professor you think might be willing to help you out. I sent one to 4 science profs telling them about my LOR situation, apologizing that this was so last minute, but asking if they would be willing to meet with me to discuss the possibility of writing for me (state in this letter your LOR deadline, but do try to give them at least 2-3 weeks for the letter since you still have time at this point in the summer, and they are doing you a huge favor). In this e-mail, send your AMCAS application and any other supporting information that would help them to make a decision about evaluating you. I did this last year and got positive responses from all 4 professors, although some were away from campus for the summer and would only be able to meet with me when school started again (this is why it's important to try a few professors- hopefully one of them is around for the summer). I thanked those guys and said I would try another prof in the meantime, and let them know in Sept if I could still use their help. The professor who agreed to write for me over the summer got her letter in within 2-3 weeks (I will never forget her kindness). And in the end, I ended up with an extra science letter, as that MIA prof eventually got hers in as well. A frustrating experience, to say the last, but be persistent. Good luck guys.

Surely it would be a simple thing to find out from his department whether he is out of town. If he isn't you should call him at whatever number you can rustle up and ask if you can wash his car in exchange for him getting the letter written. If he is, you should find someone else. And offer to wash THEIR car for getting the letter written.

I'm also in the same exact situation here. My two science letters, and one EC letter is in, but all i'm missing is the humanities professor. She was very enthusiastic about writing it and promised to have it by the end of June at the latest. Unfortunately, there is no way on Earth to contact here either. I might have to go CIA and do some googleing, hahaha lmao.

It just kinda sucks, since she knew me VERY well. oh well. Everything happens for a reason i guess. I just hope this one is good.

this can also backfire though. I once emailed a professor a request to join his class, then a few days later sent him an email thanking him when I had been added to the roster.

there was some kind of error and he had not actually added me to the roster, so he took my email as a wise ass comment and got REALLY pissed at me.

You have a valid point; maybe it's a better idea to write a thank you for the offer to write a letter. Say how much you appreciate it, and understand they're busy and how nice it is of them to take the time away from everything else....etc.

I'm in a similar boat; a prof I asked to write me a letter in April still hasn't done it. I've emailed her without response; but I do have the secret weapon of having her home phone number. If she doesn't get back to me soon, I'm calling and setting her daughters on the task. :rolleyes:

Calm down, two of my LOR writers didn't come through for me until the day before their letters were due to the premed committee. And they didn't respond to my emails either. Avoid sending repeated emails until 2-3 days before the letter's due, at which time you can send a reminder email. Profs are usually busy, but they will come through - especially since he sent you the email saying he'll try to get to it soon. :luck:

I sent my prof 2 e-mails within the last week to inquire about the LOR (and just to say hi/ask for a response). I tried to be very gracious in the e-mails (thanked him for agreeing to help me by writing an LOR), yet also mentioned how my applications wouldn't be complete until his letter is submitted and goes to the med schools (to try to stress the urgency & my great need to have his letter in). My main goal was just to get any response, just as an acknowledgement that he's received my e-mails and knows about the situation. Thus, I mentioned that I certainly understand if he's very busy and can't get it done for weeks, but that I would have some specified date to expect it by (and thus follow up with my school's reference letter service by).

However....no response. Not even a repeat of his past e-mail, i..e 'will get to it very soon.' His lack of response is what's making me think that he's on vacation/out of e-mail contact BUT he's teaching a summer class in NYC and looking the online syllabus, classes are Tues/Thurs night until 9pm, ending on July 27th. Thus, I would imagine that he'd be in the city, teaching his last couple classes over the next two weeks (and not out of the country). I e-mailed the secretary of the summer school & department asking for his contact info and got the same e-mail address I've already e-mailed him at. I don't think he has an e-mail address for the summer school and likely doesn't have an official phone number there (he's not in the directory). However, if he's physically there (as he would need to be to teach class), I'm guessing that he HAS to be reachable by phone somehow and/or someone could deliver a message to him somehow.

If nothing works out over the next week or so (meaning still no response), I'm seriously thinking about traveling to NYC from my current East Coast city to go crash his class and try to talk to him in person. It would require leaving work really early on a Tues/Thurs to travel 2-3 hrs to there, but if there's no other means of getting the LOR....then I'll consider it (and probably do it).

*sigh*

He was/still is a pretty cool prof.

I'm seriously thinking about traveling to NYC from my current East Coast city to go crash his class and try to talk to him in person. It would require leaving work really early on a Tues/Thurs to travel 2-3 hrs to there, but if there's no other means of getting the LOR....then I'll consider it (and probably do it).

I understand you're eager, but you really think your plan is a good one?? :eek:

To be perfectly honest, if I was a prof and a student did that to me, I think they were screwy. I mean, to make the effort to drive 2-3 hours to sit in on a class you're not attending at a school you're not enrolled in just to ask a former prof how his letter is coming along? Which, like I said, if this happened to me I don't think I could write the LOR knowing the person is displaying some stalker-like behavior and quite a bit obsessed.

I don't know how your prof would feel, but I know I wouldn't feel flattered. I don't mean to come across sounding harsh, but I'd hate to for you to put your LOR in jeopardy over this.

Does anyone else feel like maybe if you give letter writers too much time then that encourages them to not get your letter out? I mean I know when people are like "hey could you do this thing for me 2 months from now" then I always think to myself that surely it won't be a problem and that I'll get it done later. Then, later rolls around and I'm still thinking that I'll get it done later.

I gave my letter writers a month. I think that was a good amount of time. Not too little, but not so much that they would put it off until "later." All four of my letters were done in this time frame.

Does anyone else feel like maybe if you give letter writers too much time then that encourages them to not get your letter out? I mean I know when people are like "hey could you do this thing for me 2 months from now" then I always think to myself that surely it won't be a problem and that I'll get it done later. Then, later rolls around and I'm still thinking that I'll get it done later.

I gave my letter writers a month. I think that was a good amount of time. Not too little, but not so much that they would put it off until "later." All four of my letters were done in this time frame.

I think it depends on the time-frame. For example, I don't expect anything to get done in the month surrounding midterms and finals. But during the slower times of the year? Yeah I think a month is probably adequate. Though for the summer, I'd give longer because of vacations and the like.