Prof asks me to write the reference letter!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CANgnome

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, i emailed my prof and he wrote back telling me to write him the reference letter, at which point he will edit it slightly and sign.

Given such a good opportunity, what should "he" write about me?

Some background:
-4 month class, ~20 students, I always sat in front and at times beside him but often does not contribute to the conversation.
-Got into groups, which i contributed, but did not present group ideas most of the time. Generally the quiet student.
-Highest score in all his tests.
-had something wrong once with my 2nd exam, had to talk to him about it after class.

So, generally not too much interaction. Any suggestions as to what to write based on this as to maximally appease adcom and at the same time not go out of bounds with the prof? It's been 3 months since that class ended so he might not remember too much~

I was thinking of adding in stuff about my background too, that he does not know of.

Any comments would be wonderful. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

So, i emailed my prof and he wrote back telling me to write him the reference letter, at which point he will edit it slightly and sign.

Given such a good opportunity, what should "he" write about me?

Some background:
-4 month class, ~20 students, I always sat in front and at times beside him but often does not contribute to the conversation.
-Got into groups, which i contributed, but did not present group ideas most of the time. Generally the quiet student.
-Highest score in all his tests.
-had something wrong once with my 2nd exam, had to talk to him about it after class.

So, generally not too much interaction. Any suggestions as to what to write based on this as to maximally appease adcom and at the same time not go out of bounds with the prof? It's been 3 months since that class ended so he might not remember too much~

I was thinking of adding in stuff about my background too, that he does not know of.

Any comments would be wonderful. Thanks! :)

Greetings,

You should choose a professor that knows you so the LOR can be "personalized" rather than a generic one. If you cannot and this is your only option, then I will write what the Adcom would like to hear about me. But be truthful, don't put things that are not true. Emphasis the good and do not disclose the bad. DP

I do have one prof that I am working with a great deal, I will talk with him specifically and ask him how he wants to write his letter of reference. I will be writing a summary of what we did together and my background and sending it to him, etc...

My second letter from a prof will most likely come from this professor, as my older LORs are from a few years ago and the courses i took apart from his are all taught by multiple prof's a semester, so it is a bit difficult to get to know them.