Professionalism Assignment Makes Me Uncomfortable

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seelee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We were given an assignment in our professionalism class asking us to list 10 of our biases (beliefs about people that would negatively affect how well we care for our patients) and to grade ourselves on how well we take care of them.

I should mention that the people who teach the "professionalism" course at my school also sit on the professionalism disciplinary committee (for the bad kids) and on the advancement committee (determine whether you can stay or go).

I should also mention that they have already "chatted with" a classmate regarding a previous essay where he admitted to some unprofessional thing he had done before he started medical school (which was the whole point of the assignment).

Oh, and last week we were told so evaluate each other's professionalism.

I am seriously uncomfortable being asked to make a list of character flaws and then hand it over to a person who's job it is to determine if I can continue in medical school. I would rather NOT have something like that in my record.

So what should I do? I don't even know if I could come up with a list of 5 biases much less 10. Would I appear more "unprofessional" if I had less than 10, or if I listed typical biases.

I am debating going to one of the deans and discussing this with them, but I am concerned about repercussions. Perhaps an anonymous letter?

Members don't see this ad.

We were given an assignment in our professionalism class asking us to list 10 of our biases (beliefs about people that would negatively affect how well we care for our patients) and to grade ourselves on how well we take care of them.

I should mention that the people who teach the "professionalism" course at my school also sit on the professionalism disciplinary committee (for the bad kids) and on the advancement committee (determine whether you can stay or go).

I should also mention that they have already "chatted with" a classmate regarding a previous essay where he admitted to some unprofessional thing he had done before he started medical school (which was the whole point of the assignment).

I am seriously uncomfortable being asked to make a list of character flaws and then hand it over to a person who's job it is to determine if I can continue in medical school. I would rather NOT have something like that in my record.

So what should I do? I don't even know if I could come up with a list of 5 biases much less 10. Would I appear more "unprofessional" if I had less than 10, or if I listed typical biases.

I am debating going to one of the deans and discussing this with them, but I am concerned about repercussions. Perhaps an anonymous letter?

I'm having a difficult time imagining that if you were to sit down with the dean of student affairs or your adviser and explain your apprehension as you've done here that there would be negative repercussions. I honestly don't know whether or not an anonymous letter would be well received. On the other hand, it would safe guard you from any possible repercussions. Personally, I wouldn't be likely to experience any apprehension complaining about an assignment with such an obvious flaw at my medical school, so my advice is biased. I guess it comes down to whether or not you think your school has any interest in your input.

If it were me, I would keep my head low and off the radar. This doesn't sound like a battle you want to start. List 10 "safe" biases and move on. stay away from race, religion, or sex.

e.g. belief that uneducated will be non-compliant
or bias that obese patients don't care about their health

Members don't see this ad :)
If it were me, I would keep my head low and off the radar. This doesn't sound like a battle you want to start. List 10 "safe" biases and move on. stay away from race, religion, or sex.

Exactly. Consider this an exercise in navigating a politically-correct minefield. Easy for you, not so easy for those with questionable perspectives on race/gender/religion.

So I need 10 of these things, can I get a few others?

Last edited:
smokers wont be able to quit
diabetics wont comply
iv drug users aren't trustworthy

I agree. just make something up

smokers wont be able to quit
diabetics wont comply
iv drug users aren't trustworthy

Haha these were the exact kinds of things I was thinking of. Isn't it sad/funny how med students end up thinking alike? "Just do exactly what the assignment says but make sure it can't get you in trouble". Some other possible ones:

People who have no insurance didn't try hard enough
Patients who are late or miss appointments don't care about their health

Agree with the notion of camouflage. As opposed to questioning premises. These are thought police working their beat, looking for heads the crack.

I plan to keep my melon from the wrong side of the Billy club.
Honest reflection is not what their after for it's own sake their in the business of target acquisition. And maintaining the crypto-fascist-thought arms race.

Some other possible ones:

People who have no insurance didn't try hard enough
Patients who are late or miss appointments don't care about their health

This one might be a bit over the top. ;)

People who post on SDN have personality disorders

or is that really bias? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh how I love the stupid assignments like this. Do schools honestly think this shifts our opinion? "Fat people are lazy". They need to make sure we understand how to not let the patient know we think they are lazy. That is a lot harder than acknowledging we think they are.

I know for a fact that they peruse student's blogs, facebook pages, etc. looking for signs of unprofessionalism.

One student turned an essay in late, and he was told, by the professionalism committee, to do 8 hours of "community service" at the free clinic.

I already mentioned the student who was "talked to" about something he wrote in his essay.

Another student who sent a joke email to the class (probably not the smartest thing) got in trouble when it was passed along to the professionalism committee.

It really sucks, I seriously feel like I have to watch every little thing I say, that I can't ever express frustration or annoyance about anything in front of a classmate for fear that I will be reported. I hate thinking like that and being distrustful of my classmates.

I am having a hard time deciding whether I am being overly paranoid or whether this is a legitimate problem.

Has anyone else had such an atmosphere at the school?

I haven't dealt with anything like this. Our classes are geared more towards instructing us on proper methods instead of making us write essays on our flaws, or any essays for that matter. I don't think anyone has complained to the administration about another student either. There seems to be a lack of gunners willing to snipe you. Lucky I guess. I feel your pain. I would not want to deal with the crap you are going through.

Last edited:

I find your anonymous complaints about this professionalism assignment to be extremely unprofessional. Shame on you. You need to work on your professionalism, as you are a budding professional who will soon be working in a professional work environment.

I find your anonymous complaints about this professionalism assignment to be extremely unprofessional. Shame on you. You need to work on your professionalism, as you are a budding professional who will soon be working in a professional work environment.

:laugh:

Seriously. The word itself, if used seriously, is pretty much a Declaration of Toolity.

Or worse. Perhaps an indication of a narc or a mole. Sharpen your shank for these. And wait.

This sounds like a witch hunt by your school more than anything.

I agree with others, make up some harmless run-of-the-mill crap.

Just remember that you won't be putting up with these people forever. Right now focus on what is more important: boards (I think you're M2? haha if not then enjoy M1)

Wow. I'm going to disagree with most people here. I would do the assignment and afterwards, I would set up a meeting or write a letter to the person in charge of this and explain your thoughts in a professional manner. At my school, the administration is receptive to our concerns and I've found that when I write emails or express my thoughts on something, it's usually well-received, even if it doesn't change anything.

I guess it depends on the school and how likely you think it is that it'll make a difference. Either way though, I wouldn't just make something up, bow your head, and forget about it. I think things like this deserve student input and had students before you made their concerns known, perhaps you wouldn't be in this position. Not to be a Pollyanna, but if you can help to influence a change in this assignment for the next class, you should try.

Wow. I'm going to disagree with most people here. I would do the assignment and afterwards, I would set up a meeting or write a letter to the person in charge of this and explain your thoughts in a professional manner. At my school, the administration is receptive to our concerns and I've found that when I write emails or express my thoughts on something, it's usually well-received, even if it doesn't change anything.

I guess it depends on the school and how likely you think it is that it'll make a difference. Either way though, I wouldn't just make something up, bow your head, and forget about it. I think things like this deserve student input and had students before you made their concerns known, perhaps you wouldn't be in this position. Not to be a Pollyanna, but if you can help to influence a change in this assignment for the next class, you should try.

If your school has set up a professionalism committe to punish students who send inapropriate Emails I think it's pretty clear how receptive they are to student input. Know when the battle is not worth fighting.

If your school has set up a professionalism committe to punish students who send inapropriate Emails I think it's pretty clear how receptive they are to student input. Know when the battle is not worth fighting.

I think that assumptions are made sometimes that schools don't care what students think. Perhaps that's true of some schools, but I don't think the fact that there's a professionalism committee at this school suggests that, nor do I think we know the whole story about the emails. I'm not in the poster's shoes, so I won't say anything more. I just think that sometimes, we're too quick to dismiss our school's intentions and immediately jump to the conclusion that they're out to get us. I've found the exact opposite to be true at my school, so my comments are based on my own experience.

Also, I wouldn't consider this a battle or a fight. I'd consider it a chance to make my concerns known in a professional way and leave it at that. Who knows, maybe they want the input.

I think that assumptions are made sometimes that schools don't care what students think.
Yeah...that's almost universally true when you're just talking about one person emailing someone in an administrative position. If you get the whole student body together, sure, you'll get some attention, but if you answer this prompt honestly and say something Big Brother doesn't like, you're going to be in a world of ****, regardless of how well you defend yourself. This assignment can accomplish nothing but getting people to throw themselves under the bus. As someone else said, it's a witch hunt, but they're relying on the witches being stupid enough to incriminate themselves. Offering anything other than a bland, PC response to this prompt is just inviting trouble, plain and simple. They're basically asking you to explain in writing the ways in which you're a bad person, and there's no chance that can end well.

Tossing out offensive biases and relying on reasoning with the administration should problems arise reeks of egotism. They don't care who you are or what you have to say. It's also just a matter of common sense; why would you incite a war to uphold some silly principle when you can bypass the whole thing entirely? Either way, you're maintaining the status quo, at best, but one route involves one hell of a lot more effort and risk than the other.

Yeah...that's almost universally true when you're just talking about one person emailing someone in an administrative position. If you get the whole student body together, sure, you'll get some attention, but if you answer this prompt honestly and say something Big Brother doesn't like, you're going to be in a world of ****, regardless of how well you defend yourself. This assignment can accomplish nothing but getting people to throw themselves under the bus. As someone else said, it's a witch hunt, but they're relying on the witches being stupid enough to incriminate themselves. Offering anything other than a bland, PC response to this prompt is just inviting trouble, plain and simple. They're basically asking you to explain in writing the ways in which you're a bad person, and there's no chance that can end well.

Tossing out offensive biases and relying on reasoning with the administration should problems arise reeks of egotism. They don't care who you are or what you have to say. It's also just a matter of common sense; why would you incite a war to uphold some silly principle when you can bypass the whole thing entirely? Either way, you're maintaining the status quo, at best, but one route involves one hell of a lot more effort and risk than the other.

Our experiences have been different. I've found that at my school, they're receptive to what students say. I don't email the dean or anything like that, but we have administration liaisons as well as faculty who listen to us and things have been changed/altered thanks to our thoughts. We also have an evaluation system where we anonymously rate the system, professors, classes, etc. after each section and I've found them to be receptive to those comments as well. I'm not saying our concerns/suggestions always make a difference, but sometimes they do.

Our experiences have been different. I've found that at my school, they're receptive to what students say. I don't email the dean or anything like that, but we have administration liaisons as well as faculty who listen to us and things have been changed/altered thanks to our thoughts. We also have an evaluation system where we anonymously rate the system, professors, classes, etc. after each section and I've found them to be receptive to those comments as well. I'm not saying our concerns/suggestions always make a difference, but sometimes they do.
I think you've probably just been getting schmoozed into thinking the admins care, but even if they do, it's still way better to avoid the situation entirely. Try saying in writing that you don't trust black people or gays or poor people and see how it goes with the most lovey-dovey administration in the country. Even here in Arkansas where bigotry is pretty much the norm, you'd be served your ass on a silver platter for saying that stuff.

I would recommend you save any and all comments for that anonymous system. If they care they'll care just as much about the comment card, if they don't then you've avoided a fight that you can't win. And of course if they don't provide such a system I think it's pretty clear what they think of your opinion. If you see a real injustice, something like an attending sexually harassing a classmte, then gather some classmates and talk to the admistration directly. However for the little stuff (and a politically correct essay is definitely little stuff) send it anonymously if at all.

Last edited:
If your tender heart and manufactured sensibilities have never rubbed against the auspices of the Berufsausübung Polizie. Even slightly in the wrong direction. And your instincts don't tell you what they're up to. Then chances are this conversation is the consortment of the barking mad or the paranoidly delusional.

In which case it does not pertain. And you have been dilligently separated from chaff without incident.

If however you get a chill from such goings on. Your gut reaction needs no further instruction nor debate.

Cuidado hermanos.

If your tender heart and manufactured sensibilities have never rubbed against the auspices of the Berufsausübung Polizie. Even slightly in the wrong direction. And your instincts don't tell you what they're up to. Then chances are this conversation is the consortment of the barking mad or the paranoidly delusional.

In which case it does not pertain. And you have been dilligently separated from chaff without incident.

If however you get a chill from such goings on. Your gut reaction needs no further instruction nor debate.

Cuidado hermanos.

thesaurus.jpg

I can't even understand what you're trying to say. Spend less time perusing thesauri and more time focusing on your grammar.

He was saying that if someone really wrote out 10 responses with his own, real biases then that was the point of the assignment, to flag the kids with Asperger's.

I recommend what everyone else says to do. Write out that you're afraid how the fact you work so gosh darn hard, the lack of sleep may very well impair patient care during a 36 hour shift.

Actually that's probably too close to the line.

thesaurus.jpg

I can't even understand what you're trying to say. Spend less time perusing thesauri and more time focusing on your grammar.

I'm no expert, but isn't it racist for asst mods to tell people to watch their grammar? ;)

OP, does your school have elected/appointed student council members that take concerns to the administration?

Have you considered just making all of your biases facts (e.g. left handed people are more likely to die in work-related accidents, red headed people are more likely to have freckles, people with albinism suffer from a melanin deficiency, etc.)?

Don't turn in anything that can be used against you. This is possibly the worst assignment that I have heard of.

If you must, put down that you have a bias against the sort of person who would make this kind of assignment -- that he's probably an overzealous, self-righteous snob who believes that he is so far naturally superior to those around him that he has the right to order them to treat him as a priest-confessor. (Edit: this bias could affect your patient care by making you scared to ask pertinent questions for fear that they would be mis-interpreted, mis-quoted, and used against you!)

Don't even go with the "safe" ones about diabetes or lower economic status. Those are exactly what this person will be looking for, and making up something like that to admit to will only play into his assumption that you need him to make you a moral person.

If I were completing this assignment, I would put down that I do not judge people in groups, as every group has both good and bad people, both hard-working compliant patients and malingerers.

He'll hate that answer. The assertion that you could both know and understand and act on that fact without his help will make him crazy.

I would be unable to resist the temptation to add that I have never seen any of my classmates act in a manner incompatible with that fact, and that I resent and demand an apology for the character aspersion implicit in the assignment -- but that's probably a sign of my temper and not goodadvice to follow

Last edited:
Don't turn in anything that can be used against you. This is possibly the worst assignment that I have heard of.

If you must, put down that you have a bias against the sort of person who would make this kind of assignment -- that he's probably an overzealous, self-righteous snob who believes that he is so far naturally superior to those around him that he has the right to order them to treat him as a priest-confessor. (Edit: this bias could affect your patient care by making you scared to ask pertinent questions for fear that they would be mis-interpreted, mis-quoted, and used against you!)

Don't even go with the "safe" ones about diabetes or lower economic status. Those are exactly what this person will be looking for, and making up something like that to admit to will only play into his assumption that you need him to make you a moral person.

If I were completing this assignment, I would put down that I do not judge people in groups, as every group has both good and bad people, both hard-working compliant patients and malingerers.

He'll hate that answer. The assertion that you could both know and understand and act on that fact without his help will make him crazy.

I would be unable to resist the temptation to add that I have never seen any of my classmates act in a manner incompatible with that fact, and that I resent and demand an apology for the character aspersion implicit in the assignment -- but that's probably a sign of my temper and not goodadvice to follow

God, I can't tell you how much I want to cut and paste this.

I am sure you know that this will have no other effect but single me out and paint a target on my back.

It's not like the blow hard will read my essay, sit back, run his fingers through his hair and mutter "My God, he's right."

Just an update. Here is the list of biases I turned in.

1. I have a problem with boy's names that end in -en (Brayden, Cayden,
Talen).
2. I have a problem with moms who give kids those names.
3. I hate, HATE japanese card games (Pokemon, Yu-Gi-OH, etc.)
4. I hate cartoons based on japanese card games.
5. I have a hard time taking people who go to renaissance fairs seriously.
6. I really really really don't like the gay guy in GLEE. No problem with gay
people in general, just the one in GLEE.
7. I have a really hard time with people who cite Oprah as an authority on
anything.
8. Oprah.
9. Despite all logical evidence to the contrary, I can't help but suspect that
all asians know kung fu.
10. Dancing with the Stars ('nuff said).

I think I do a fabulous job of dealing with all of my biases. A+ for me.

Just make stuff up and keep your head down. Your goal is to get out with your MD. Always keep that in the forefront when contemplating making waves.

9. Despite all logical evidence to the contrary, I can't help but suspect that all asians know kung fu.

You don't know how close you are. :laugh:

Well done! (but dude, the gay guy on Glee can really sing!)

Talen).
anything.
8. Oprah.
all asians know kung fu.

You know, you could condense points 3, 4, and 9 into a single statement about your biases toward asians, leaving you room to hate on other peoples/cultures. After all, you have to be equitable...Just a suggestion!

I haven't dealt with anything like this. Our classes are geared more towards instructing us on proper methods instead of making us write essays on our flaws, or any essays for that matter. I don't think anyone has complained to the administration about another student either. There seems to be a lack of gunners willing to snipe you. Lucky I guess. I feel your pain. I would not want to deal with the crap you are going through.
Agreed
If You see a flaw in me, you are just projecting from yourself.
I dont want someone telling me about "my" flaws, when they themselves are flawed

another note

food is a drug, or did you think fat people got fat for their health/

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-03-28/health/fatty.foods.brain_1_rats-junk-food-fatty-foods?_s=PM:HEALTH

http://www.almightydad.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/trans-fat.gif

Scientists have finally confirmed what the rest of us have suspected for years: Bacon, cheesecake, and other delicious yet fattening foods may be addictive.
A new study in rats suggests that high-fat, high-calorie foods affect the brain in much the same way as cocaine and heroin. When rats consume these foods in great enough quantities, it leads to compulsive eating habits that resemble drug addiction, the study found.

add to your list
-people who don't speak english "good", are stupid...
(superman does good, you do well,...etc.)
I have a prolix nature, reverse adrenal disease... what's that called?
Pheochomocytoma

You know, you could condense points 3, 4, and 9 into a single statement about your biases toward asians, leaving you room to hate on other peoples/cultures. After all, you have to be equitable...Just a suggestion!

I like the notion that racism that is equally applied to all races is better than racism against just one race.

But still, I had to stretch them out, I needed 10 after all.

I like the notion that racism that is equally applied to all races is better than racism against just one race.

But still, I had to stretch them out, I needed 10 after all.
add in a few about women need to be barefoot/pregnant instead of getting jobs......
and
girls in attractive clothes are all sluts/******
and
girls in non-attractive clothes are all prudes

etc

Talen).
anything.
8. Oprah.
all asians know kung fu.

This is one of the funniest threads I've read in a long time. Solid work, my friend. I hear they're doling out "professionalism ranks" now?! As in, "Student Doctor Seelee, your professionalism rank is 139/140."

This is one of the funniest threads I've read in a long time. Solid work, my friend. I hear they're doling out "professionalism ranks" now?! As in, "Student Doctor Seelee, your professionalism rank is 139/140."

Yeah they are. They had each student evaluate the professionalism of 10 grading them 1-3 on a number of criteria. We got the results back today. Lets just say that if my "professionalism" rank was anything like my actual class rank, I would probably be meeting with the advancement committee.

Apparently, making fun of stupid professionalism assignments is unprofessional. Who knew?

Talen).
all asians know kung fu.

The instructors might Google you and find out what you really think about their wonderful assignment? Is it good to post your real answers? :p

(on the other hand, you did say that you already make fun of the assignment openly)

Yeah they are. They had each student evaluate the professionalism of 10 grading them 1-3 on a number of criteria. We got the results back today. Lets just say that if my "professionalism" rank was anything like my actual class rank, I would probably be meeting with the advancement committee.

Apparently, making fun of stupid professionalism assignments is unprofessional. Who knew?

I love how your "not quite yet professional" student peers are the people determining your rank regarding professional behavior.

If the school really thinks your class is (at this point in their training) professional enough to determine your grade, then why do you need a professionalism class/assignment in the first place?

I love how your "not quite yet professional" student peers are the people determining your rank regarding professional behavior.

If the school really thinks your class is (at this point in their training) professional enough to determine your grade, then why do you need a professionalism class/assignment in the first place?

Like I have said before, the most professional thing you can do is criticize someone else for being unprofessional.

Heck, you can have sex with pre-teen orphans and be OK as long as you can effectively point the finger your co-worker and criticize his attendance of a pharmaceutical company lunch as "unprofessional".