CityLights

7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2010
Status
Sorry if this has been covered before.

Most (or many) websites for medical schools state that letters must be from "professors". How literally is this meant to be taken? I'm taking chem 2 over the summer, and the faculty appointment for the person teaching the course is "lecturer" (she has doctorate). Would this preclude me from possibly seeking an LOR from her?

Or does the instructor literally have to be a designated "professor"?

Thanks for any tips

Last edited:

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If it specifically says professor, a lecturer won't work. I imagine this is pretty rare though. I had no problem with LoR from lecturers being accepted at the schools I applied to.

chickensandwich

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2008
Status
my non science letter was written by a grad student currently finishing up his phd. he was the only instructor of my class, and he definitely wasn't "professor" status. i sent that to everyone, got multiple interviews and acceptances, and it hasn't been a problem. i think you're fine.

BlueElmo

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2006
Status
Medical Student
My non-sci letter was from a grad student who was the sole instructor for the class. The letter was okay everywhere I applied.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
I think that professor is code for "someone who teaches at a college or university". I do not believe that the med schools are dictating that they will accept only letters from the most highly ranked members of the academic community. I think that we also have to recognize that more and more schools are granting tenure to fewer and fewer faculty members and more teaching is being done by adjuncts who do not carry the title "Professor" but who would be appropriate letter writers.

OP
CityLights

CityLights

7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2010
Status
I think that professor is code for "someone who teaches at a college or university". I do not believe that the med schools are dictating that they will accept only letters from the most highly ranked members of the academic community. I think that we also have to recognize that more and more schools are granting tenure to fewer and fewer faculty members and more teaching is being done by adjuncts who do not carry the title "Professor" but who would be appropriate letter writers.
Great, this is what I was thinking was meant by the term. Thanks everyone for your responses.