Professor vs "Lecturer" or "Instructor"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted307836

Sorry if this has been covered before.

Most (or many) websites for medical schools state that letters must be from "professors". How literally is this meant to be taken? I'm taking chem 2 over the summer, and the faculty appointment for the person teaching the course is "lecturer" (she has doctorate). Would this preclude me from possibly seeking an LOR from her?

Or does the instructor literally have to be a designated "professor"?

Thanks for any tips

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it specifically says professor, a lecturer won't work. I imagine this is pretty rare though. I had no problem with LoR from lecturers being accepted at the schools I applied to.

my non science letter was written by a grad student currently finishing up his phd. he was the only instructor of my class, and he definitely wasn't "professor" status. i sent that to everyone, got multiple interviews and acceptances, and it hasn't been a problem. i think you're fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
My non-sci letter was from a grad student who was the sole instructor for the class. The letter was okay everywhere I applied.

I think that professor is code for "someone who teaches at a college or university". I do not believe that the med schools are dictating that they will accept only letters from the most highly ranked members of the academic community. I think that we also have to recognize that more and more schools are granting tenure to fewer and fewer faculty members and more teaching is being done by adjuncts who do not carry the title "Professor" but who would be appropriate letter writers.

I think that professor is code for "someone who teaches at a college or university". I do not believe that the med schools are dictating that they will accept only letters from the most highly ranked members of the academic community. I think that we also have to recognize that more and more schools are granting tenure to fewer and fewer faculty members and more teaching is being done by adjuncts who do not carry the title "Professor" but who would be appropriate letter writers.

Great, this is what I was thinking was meant by the term. Thanks everyone for your responses.