Professors do not seem to like me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmlyDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Brief background...Caucasian male, mid 20's, Eagle Scout, have a BS in biology, and am in my 3rd year of pharm school. I performed VERY well the first 3 semesters of pharm school, but leveled off to average thereafter ->Not trying to be a braggart, just trying to list possible reasons why PharmD professors don't take a liking to me. I have inpatient pharmacy experience in two healthcare systems, and am pretty well connected.

I feel like some of my professors may be jealous of me, and there's one in particular this semester that always picks on me in a nonverbal type of way (get my drift?). He's in his 40's and I have honestly never encountered a professor in all my years of higher education that has acted this way. What he does doesn't bother me in a sense that I freak out about it or react to it through body language. But yesterday I had a question for him about some of the material in his course, and he did it pretty blatantly, and I just did the same thing back, and we both just stared at each other for a 5 whole seconds, then his face turned red. My pharmacy professors have always told me that pharmacy is a small world and you never know who someone else knows, but I'm not putting up with that s**t, and will stand up for myself when someone else is being an a**-hole.

I have also "crossed-swords" (debating grades and other drug or clinical trial knowledge) with a few other professors the last 2 semesters. I feel that this phenomenon of pharmacists (professors) attempting to belittle their students who are intelligent and bright is specific to the pharmacy field? The pharmacy job market is saturated, and retail is stressful, and residency is super competitive. As medical students, what would you do in my situation if you found yourself in it? I feel like there is a fine line that students have to keep between keeping their head down, and standing up for themselves when they need to.

Members don't see this ad.

What did he do exactly OP?

Can't be worse than some UG professors who call students idiots for missing questions or doing very poorly on exams

I don't know much about the pharmacy world but I doubt your professor has much impact on anything. After all, most pharm students end up in retail anyways

Why do you post this stuff in the medicine forum? You really think your professors are jealous of some pharm student that did "great then average" in classes? Or is it because you're an eagle scout? You don't even describe this nonverbal bullying?

Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No professor is jealous of a pharm student. Full stop.

They are also not fond of the types of personalities who brag about "not taking s--t", you are the subordinate

Reactions: 26 users
I feel like some of my professors may be jealous of me, and there's one in particular this semester that always picks on me in a nonverbal type of way (get my drift?).

I don't get your drift...

he did it pretty blatantly, and I just did the same thing back

I don't think anyone knows what this means.

So what makes you think a professor is jealous of an average pharmacy student (and per your post history, one who plagiarized and failed a rotation)? Always remember there are 2 sides to any conflict...perhaps it's not the professor who is at fault. If you are constantly coming across as grade grubbing or questioning their knowledge, it's not going to go well.

Reactions: 19 users
Personally confused why a pharm student comes into the med student forum dropping bombs like "Eagle Scout, have a BS in biology", "I performed VERY well the first 3 semesters of pharm school, but leveled off to average thereafter ->Not trying to be a braggart" and "I have inpatient pharmacy experience in two healthcare systems, and am pretty well connected. "

Whether you'd like to admit it or not you pretty clearly think highly of yourself and that probably rubbing some people the wrong way.

Reactions: 19 users
I don't get your drift...

I don't think anyone knows what this means.

So what makes you think a professor is jealous of an average pharmacy student (and per your post history, one who plagiarized and failed a rotation)? Always remember there are 2 sides to any conflict...perhaps it's not the professor who is at fault. If you are constantly coming across as grade grubbing or questioning their knowledge, it's not going to go well.

I actually never purposefully "grade grub" or go out of my way to dispute anything, unless I feel like there is a compelling reason to, which occurred to be ~ 4x in the last 3 years. And I figured someone would go through my past threads and see my Hx, yes I plagiarized on a 1 page assignment ->last Fall something happened to me (no i didn't get raped), that subsequently had my put on a medication that caused cognitive blunting, among other things. Long story short ->forgot about assignment until 3 am the morning it was due (@ 7:30 am)...I missed up, it's my fault, no matter what else was going on in my life or what kind pharmacotherapy I had to be on.

Why do you post this stuff in the medicine forum? You really think your professors are jealous of some pharm student that did "great then average" in classes? Or is it because you're an eagle scout? You don't even describe this nonverbal bullying?

I post here because I don't want to accidentally disclose my identity on the pharm forums...like I said "pharmacy is a small world"

Nonverbal bullying - let's say someone had a injury or accident to them in the past that caused a certain feature of their appearance to look asymmetrical or just slightly abnormal or off; something that isn't even noticeable by most people, but just people who have the negative/sadistic mentality to point out everything that is wrong. And for more detail, lets say that this certain physical feature that was an outcome of said accident had had medical intervention performed on it in the past, which was semi-successful, but a total resolution of the physical feature would require another intervention which would not be in the patient's best interest at this time in their life.

I actually never purposefully "grade grub" or go out of my way to dispute anything, unless I feel like there is a compelling reason to, which occurred to be ~ 4x in the last 3 years. And I figured someone would go through my past threads and see my Hx, yes I plagiarized on a 1 page assignment ->last Fall something happened to me (no i didn't get raped), that subsequently had my put on a medication that caused cognitive blunting, among other things. Long story short ->forgot about assignment until 3 am the morning it was due (@ 7:30 am)...I missed up, it's my fault, no matter what else was going on in my life or what kind pharmacotherapy I had to be on.

I post here because I don't want to accidentally disclose my identity on the pharm forums...like I said "pharmacy is a small world"

Nonverbal bullying - let's say someone had a injury or accident to them in the past that caused a certain feature of their appearance to look asymmetrical or just slightly abnormal or off; something that isn't even noticeable by most people, but just people who have the negative/sadistic mentality to point out everything that is wrong. And for more detail, lets say that this certain physical feature that was an outcome of said accident had had medical intervention performed on it in the past, which was semi-successful, but a total resolution of the physical feature would require another intervention which would not be in the patient's best interest at this time in their life.

What does any of that have to do with non-verbal bullying?? It sounds more like you're misinterpreting something and taking offense to something when no offense was meant.

Reactions: 4 users

you need to find a counselor to talk to

Reactions: 8 users
you need to find a counselor to talk to
Already have shrink. And no I don't have a psychotic disorder, nor am I or have I ever been on meds with an indication for one.

What does any of that have to do with non-verbal bullying?? It sounds more like you're misinterpreting something and taking offense to something when no offense was meant.
This thread is drifting from the only question I asked...more so the one in the thread, not the title. You're trying to interpret what I may or may not find offensive, or am delusional about. "Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." Tyrion Lannister. I'm a tolerant person (my only pet peeve is health-care workers spitting out the F-bomb in front of patients).

My thread initially started off with the "teasing" example, but maybe I missed the mark on getting my point across, or what my original intention was for this...from my observations overall, and not just on the example I gave in this thread, it is pretty evident that many PharmD (professors) go out of their way to make sure that their students know that they are subordinates, or lets cut the fluff, inferior, and give their students, and their equally-ranked peers a hard time and inhibit them from growing. Yes, you could say this is true for any profession, but I think this is more prevalent in the pharmacy field (more so formal pharmacy education than pharmacy hospital/outpatient setting), because lets be blunt, it's a lot easier to get into pharmacy school than it is medical school. I'm not saying that all pharmacists are not intelligent or not dedicated due to passion alone. But, if you have a very competitive field (pharmacy) with a wider distribution of levels on intelligence, the one's who are less intelligent (academically and emotionally) must compensate in some other way to make the playing field even, to rise above their peers, through whatever means (deception, back-stabbing, bullying, or any other malicious act). Conversely, in a hypothetical utopia characterized only by beneficence and passion, and without greed or maleficence, where everyone had equal opportunity (implying equal access and cost) for education and career opportunities (and more education w/ higher marks & more career opportunities = a better healthcare practitioner, and was only dependent on intelligence - intelligence alone correlated to survival of the fittest), then patients would get better care, and everyone's quality of life would improve.

Now, back to my (revised) question: assuming I am correct in that this professor is driven by greed and "a means to an end," rather than passion for others, and he attempts to inhibit others whether below him or beside him, through malicious means, from performing at their best in learning, growing, and becoming overall non-corrupt healthcare practitioners who are driven only by their passion...As medical students, and "subordinates" of this professor(s), how would you handle this situation? Confront aggressively? Keep your head down and submit? Fight the good fight and grind through? Ignoring and circumventing isn't an option because the professor(s) is preventing you from being the best practitioner you can be.

Confront aggressively is clearly the best option. Show this jealous narcissist that you will not put up with his treating you as an inferior.

Reactions: 25 users
I would guess that they don't like you because you have a serious attitude problem and superiority complex.

source.gif

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished reading the thread OP, and it sounds like you don't have the best insight. I could be wrong. Most professors and instructors are going to treat you how you treat them. If you treat them with respect and dignity, usually you'll get the same in turn. Granted, some people are just super nice and some people are the opposite, and innately miserable and try to spread it around. So if you're constantly being argumentative, or saying things that in all likelihood find their way back to them, e.g. you say, "Dr. X doesn't know WTF she's/he's talking about," I can almost guarantee it'll get back to her or him.

Is there any chance you are coming across as cold, aloof, or superior to your instructors, professors, and peers, when you aren't meaning to come across that way?

I don't like you based on the tone of your post and I'm not jealous of you nor have I met you. You come across like a tool. If I had to guess you come across like that to your professor. Change your attitude and you'll change people's perceptions of you.

Reactions: 18 users
Woah, woah, woah! Simmer down dude, you are bragging too much! No one I know is a mid 20's caucasian male eagle scout who did decent in school in the past. Bachelors of SCIENCE too, dude? You gotta stop bragging - at least give me something I can shoot for.

Brief background...Caucasian male, mid 20's, Eagle Scout, have a BS in biology, and am in my 3rd year of pharm school. I performed VERY well the first 3 semesters of pharm school, but leveled off to average thereafter ->Not trying to be a braggart, just trying to list possible reasons why PharmD professors don't take a liking to me. I have inpatient pharmacy experience in two healthcare systems, and am pretty well connected.

Reactions: 9 users

Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." Tyrion Lannister. I'm a tolerant person (my only pet peeve is health-care workers spitting out the F-bomb in front of patients).

Conversely, in a hypothetical utopia characterized only by beneficence and passion, and without greed or maleficence, where everyone had equal opportunity (implying equal access and cost) for education and career opportunities (and more education w/ higher marks & more career opportunities = a better healthcare practitioner, and was only dependent on intelligence - intelligence alone correlated to survival of the fittest), then patients would get better care, and everyone's quality of life would improve.

Now, back to my (revised) question: assuming I am correct in that this professor is driven by greed and "a means to an end," rather than passion for others, and he attempts to inhibit others whether below him or beside him, through malicious means, from performing at their best in learning, growing, and becoming overall non-corrupt healthcare practitioners who are driven only by their passion...As medical students, and "subordinates" of this professor(s), how would you handle this situation? Confront aggressively? Keep your head down and submit? Fight the good fight and grind through? Ignoring and circumventing isn't an option because the professor(s) is preventing you from being the best practitioner you can be.

But, if you have a very competitive field (pharmacy)

Lol, what the hell are you even talking about?

No matter what you mean I suggest you pick the prof up, raise him above your head, and then break his back on your knee so you can see if his spirit or his body will break first.

Just finished reading the thread OP, and it sounds like you don't have the best insight. I could be wrong. Most professors and instructors are going to treat you how you treat them. If you treat them with respect and dignity, usually you'll get the same in turn. Granted, some people are just super nice and some people are the opposite, and innately miserable and try to spread it around. So if you're constantly being argumentative, or saying things that in all likelihood find their way back to them, e.g. you say, "Dr. X doesn't know WTF she's/he's talking about," I can almost guarantee it'll get back to her or him.

Is there any chance you are coming across as cold, aloof, or superior to your instructors, professors, and peers, when you aren't meaning to come across that way?

I can see where this thread would come across as arrogant, and I knew before posting it that I would get some responses about the background portion, but chose too anyways to try to give a bigger picture.

I am always open to constructive criticism because it helps me become a well-rounded person, however I am not easily offended. Reflecting back, I am always polite to professors, address them as Dr. so..so...I smile at almost everyone, and at the very least give a head nod to acknowledge them. I'd say over all I'm a very empathetic person. (and recently I've been wondering if I have been exposed to narcissistic abuse in the past, as some of my peers in the class above me were pretty manipulative) - Not trying to divert the topic, but as a side note, millennials score higher than past generations on the narcissistic personality inventory. I was disciplined well as a child, and learned early on how to work with others as team (played AA ice hockey), was not spoiled, and the only social media I use is facebook, but only get on to see school related stuff in the school FB group.

The only reason I could see why this professor might think I am aloof is because I don't usually "appear" like I am paying attention to him in lecture, (I raise my head and look on attentively from time to time when something comes up that I think is interesting, or if I hear a fluctuation in his tone of voice in which something important is being emphasized). I typically do much better studying on my own, and am more efficient at getting school work and other life tasks done outside lecture. And although I never skip lectures, when I do go, I usually audio record and work on something else on my computer during lecture...they do not video record lectures in pharmacy school, and I am sitting in class for very very long periods of time almost every weekday, along with rotations that I have to go to and do work for.

I am always open to constructive criticism because it helps me become a well-rounded person, however I am not easily offended. Reflecting back, I am always polite to professors, address them as Dr. so..so...I smile at almost everyone, and at the very least give a head nod to acknowledge them. I'd say over all I'm a very empathetic person. (and recently I've been wondering if I have been exposed to narcissistic abuse in the past, as some of my peers in the class above me were pretty manipulative) - Not trying to divert the topic, but as a side note, millennials score higher than past generations on the narcissistic personality inventory. I was disciplined well as a child, and learned early on how to work with others as team (played AA ice hockey), was not spoiled, and the only social media I use is facebook, but only get on to see school related stuff in the school FB group.

This is clearly someone else's fault.... :rolleyes:

I think you seriously need to take some self-reflection time.

You exhibit a serious lack of insight into how your behavior is interpreted by other people.

Reactions: 7 users
I am wondering if this is trolling or serious. But if the latter...why would you care about what a professor thinks of you? No one's opinion is going to stop you from being the kind of practicioner you want to be. Just don't stir the pot and piss off those who may not like your personality, and move on. Their motives are their own, and it is not up to you to question or challenge them.

If I were to meet I would make an effort to like you. I suspect you are actually pretty nice but you are coming off as abrasive. Consider that the same may hold true for the abrasive people in your life. Show some grace, make an effort--find something you like about that person and focus on it.

Let stuff go. Is it really too much for you to ignore a little s##t? You are going into healthcare, you will see people at their worst. Choose to let things go and just be nice. People will treat you how you treat them--even if they think you are too dumb to understand their nastiness. It just does not matter.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm still really curious about this. Like, he's pantomiming a physical deformity of yours? And then what, you mocked something about his physical appearance?

Reactions: 1 users
Confront aggressively is clearly the best option. Show this jealous narcissist that you will not put up with his treating you as an inferior.

OP should grunt to establish dominance. See example below:

Reactions: 6 users
It's because you're an eagle scout

Reactions: 13 users
It takes a lot more than being an average pharmacy student to become a professor. None of them would be jealous of you, they have accomplished far more than you. Judging by your personality, it doesn't seem like you have much room to improve, either.

You got caught cheating, but yet you think the professors don't like you because you see yourself as a good student? I think you are seriously delusional. It sounds like you have a superiority complex, that you are a below average student, and the professors are trying to work with you to get you through this program. I think you need someone in your life who will be brutally honest with you about how you come across to people, because you just aren't seeing it.

In order to get through school, you should put your head down and do your work without making waves. Always assume conflicts are your fault, because they very likely are, and you are clearly not capable of making that judgement for yourself.

The professors are not jealous of you. You are a problem student who they are trying to help.

Second that "always assume conflicts are your fault" -- in fact, it's best to just make that leap and know that everything unpleasant in your life is your fault, even if shared fault. You can't change anything unless you believe it is your fault.

Reactions: 1 user
All of the students my instructors don't like have thoroughly earned it.

I feel like some of my professors may be jealous of me, and there's one in particular this semester that always picks on me in a nonverbal type of way (get my drift?). He's in his 40's and I have honestly never encountered a professor in all my years of higher education that has acted this way. What he does doesn't bother me in a sense that I freak out about it or react to it through body language. But yesterday I had a question for him about some of the material in his course, and he did it pretty blatantly, and I just did the same thing back, and we both just stared at each other for a 5 whole seconds, then his face turned red. My pharmacy professors have always told me that pharmacy is a small world and you never know who someone else knows, but I'm not putting up with that s**t, and will stand up for myself when someone else is being an a**-hole.

I have also "crossed-swords" (debating grades and other drug or clinical trial knowledge) with a few other professors the last 2 semesters. I feel that this phenomenon of pharmacists (professors) attempting to belittle their students who are intelligent and bright is specific to the pharmacy field? The pharmacy job market is saturated, and retail is stressful, and residency is super competitive. As medical students, what would you do in my situation if you found yourself in it? I feel like there is a fine line that students have to keep between keeping their head down, and standing up for themselves when they need to.

"But yesterday I had a question for him about some of the material in his course, and he did it pretty blatantly, and I just did the same thing back, and we both just stared at each other for a 5 whole seconds, then his face turned red. "

Op, you still haven't answered this, and for some odd reason you keep going around it, what non-verbal "bullying" are you talking about. And what did you guys do to each other in class??

Thank you for posting your symptoms in the medical student forum aka WebMD2B. You have been diagnosed with "Special Snowflake Syndrome." It's currently a pandemic in the global millennial population, but its incidence is concentrated in the Western developed world.

There is no known treatment, although joining and staying in the military has shown some promising results, in the most recent clinical trials.

Last edited:
Already have shrink. And no I don't have a psychotic disorder, nor am I or have I ever been on meds with an indication for one.

This thread is drifting from the only question I asked...more so the one in the thread, not the title. You're trying to interpret what I may or may not find offensive, or am delusional about. "Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." Tyrion Lannister. I'm a tolerant person (my only pet peeve is health-care workers spitting out the F-bomb in front of patients).

My thread initially started off with the "teasing" example, but maybe I missed the mark on getting my point across, or what my original intention was for this...from my observations overall, and not just on the example I gave in this thread, it is pretty evident that many PharmD (professors) go out of their way to make sure that their students know that they are subordinates, or lets cut the fluff, inferior, and give their students, and their equally-ranked peers a hard time and inhibit them from growing. Yes, you could say this is true for any profession, but I think this is more prevalent in the pharmacy field (more so formal pharmacy education than pharmacy hospital/outpatient setting), because lets be blunt, it's a lot easier to get into pharmacy school than it is medical school. I'm not saying that all pharmacists are not intelligent or not dedicated due to passion alone. But, if you have a very competitive field (pharmacy) with a wider distribution of levels on intelligence, the one's who are less intelligent (academically and emotionally) must compensate in some other way to make the playing field even, to rise above their peers, through whatever means (deception, back-stabbing, bullying, or any other malicious act). Conversely, in a hypothetical utopia characterized only by beneficence and passion, and without greed or maleficence, where everyone had equal opportunity (implying equal access and cost) for education and career opportunities (and more education w/ higher marks & more career opportunities = a better healthcare practitioner, and was only dependent on intelligence - intelligence alone correlated to survival of the fittest), then patients would get better care, and everyone's quality of life would improve.

Tyrion Lannister quote is the best thing in this thread :claps:

You “crossed swords” with your professors, what did you expect OP?

But yesterday I had a question for him about some of the material in his course, and he did it pretty blatantly, and I just did the same thing back, and we both just stared at each other for a 5 whole seconds, then his face turned red.

I just want to know what you guys actually said.

OP has a lot of strangely specific denials sprinkled in there...it's just bizarre.

OP hasn't posted sine 23 September in this thread and only one other time (on 7 January) in another thread. I think it's safe to assume it's gotten the hint that there's no sympathy to be found here.

Doesn't matter if it's Med, Pharm, Dental whatever. There is always at least one person like this in every class that for some reason they have no clue how they are coming off to other people. The professor was probably warned before you even were in their class by the other professors.

Just suck it up for this quarter/semester and move on with your life.

Well, you're gonna have to learn to take **** and kiss ass.

Ok, Remington Jr., I do have a simpler explanation why pharmacy professors of the tenured ranks might not like you. It's that considering how hard it is to get anything done, dealing with entitled students who think they are awesome without proven merit as a peer. I have not met you, but I know the type.

Well, the practice faculty can have their ego snits as they come and go just like the students; the tenured faculty usually consider the undergraduates as like mayflies. If you entered my office, I would treat you the same way as I do with all my undergraduates, professional and distant. Not because I do not care to know you, but because if you ever had the chore of being the Student Affairs Assistant Dean or equivalent, there are better things to do than this.

Just stop engaging and do your job. You will be one of us soon enough if you do not manage to get yourself expelled. In 9 times out of 10 (probably higher though), you are showing very big warning signs of an out-of-control ego that will take care of itself given time. (In the 1 out of 10 scenario, you are an out-of-control ego that is just productive enough to not cause everyone to turn on you, but you're still an a**hole). It is not about intelligence; it is about productivity. Focus on your work.

Comedy Gold. Every time I come on SDN. Fly Eagle Scout Fly! Assert your dominance!

Reactions: 5 users
They don’t like you because of the plagiarism issue. Once you get labeled a cheater, that follows you around within that institution. Integrity is a big deal for most academic folks (and most pharmacists).

I don’t know you beyond your posts on this thread, so I will avoid making any statements about your personality. I would argue, however, that unless you are actually married to Kate Upton, none of your professors is jealous of you.

This thread is solid, shiny gold.

Can someone tag me whenever a pharm student wanders in here with zany stuff like this?

Reactions: 7 users