Program Considerations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thrawn71

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone! I am new to posting to SDN, but I have been lurking here for a while in order to gain additional insight into residency programs. My wife and I are participating in the couple's match. I am neuro, she is med/peds. We have narrowed down our top choices to 3 programs:

Univ. Kentucky
Duke
UNC

We are focused more on clinical rather than research experience. We love both Lexington and the Research Triangle in terms of geography and cost of living. Does anyone have any insight to these individual programs? We would appreciate any assistance on this matter.

Members don't see this ad.

I can only speak for Duke, but I interviewed there this year and loved it. They are really committed to training general neurologists who can go on to subspecialize if they want. If you are considering EMG/EEG as a major part of your career, you would benefit from Duke's emphasis on those. During the required 3-month CNP rotation you perform 70-90 EMGs and read >200 EEGs per PD. I liked the culture. Good fellowship placement/options. Will write a review in a bit but will be ranking highly!

Well Admiral Thrawn is chiss and chiss are blue so I was going to go with whatever school was blue. However, this obviously doesn't help. Thrawn just feels like a Duke alum though. In all seriousness I interviewed at Duke and UNC. I was much more impressed by Duke.

Reactions: 1 users
Well Admiral Thrawn is chiss and chiss are blue so I was going to go with whatever school was blue. However, this obviously doesn't help. Thrawn just feels like a Duke alum though. In all seriousness I interviewed at Duke and UNC. I was much more impressed by Duke.

This is the best reason for choosing a residency program I have encountered so far. Lol. Thanks!