Program on probation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychhealth101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on applying to Clinical psychology PhD programs in the Chicago area next cycle and I found out that DePaul university is currently APA accredited, on probation? How serious is this? Would this affect me as a student if I decide to apply there? Any thoughts on this situation or the program in general?

Members don't see this ad.

The first step is finding out why it is on probation. It could very much affect students because if the accreditation is pulled before you graduate, your degree would not be from an accredited program, even if it was technically still accredited when you started.

Reactions: 2 users
I am planning on applying to Clinical psychology PhD programs in the Chicago area next cycle and I found out that DePaul university is currently APA accredited, on probation? How serious is this? Would this affect me as a student if I decide to apply there? Any thoughts on this situation or the program in general?

You may consider applying but not accepting an offer for admission if it is not resolved.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied and interviewed at DePaul this cycle. According to their DCT, the probation is due to paperwork and recent APA accreditation standard changes, and they have been in communication with APA to make the necessary changes. They are supposed to be resubmitting their paperwork this Spring, so the issue will probably be resolved by the time you decide to apply this Fall. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 users
I attended a program that was put on probation during my time there. Feel free to ask their faculty director what the status is, and what the program plans to do to remove probationary status.

Programs on probation are still APA accredited. Whether or not you graduate from an APA-accredited program is determined by accreditation status on the day of graduation.

For my program, we were on probation because our website did not accurately conform to APA's standards and course syllabi were not compliant with addressing specific APA competencies. That was it. It had nothing to do with the quality of our training, and once these issues were addressed we were taken off probation.

That said, expect there to be anxiety about probationary status in the program. All the students in my cohort were worried and lost faith in the program after we were placed on probation. Ultimately, it did no harm to me, and just resulted in a boatload of work for our director.

Reactions: 4 users