Program request for eye exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

digitalsideburn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently received a request from a program I applied to for documentation of an eye exam. They informed me that my application would not be considered until this information was provided.

I have heard of programs doing this in the past. Are they allowed to ask for this? I have a feeling they might not be allowed to as it may be considered disrimination.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

What program asked for an eye exam?

It's funny cause I've recently encountered a 4th year med student who needed one done.

VA, color, stereo, among other things.

Apparently it had to be done by an ophthalmologist so as an OD, I couldn't do it for him.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I recently received a request from a program I applied to for documentation of an eye exam. They informed me that my application would not be considered until this information was provided.

I have heard of programs doing this in the past. Are they allowed to ask for this? I have a feeling they might not be allowed to as it may be considered disrimination.

Thoughts?

There are several that ask for it. Some will actually exam you while you're there (Minnesota checked stereoacuity when I interviewed there).
They actually can legally do it on the basis that good vision is required as part of being an ophthalmologist.

The request for an eye exam I suppose is acceptable, but I just received a form also asking for significant medical conditions, current medications, etc...this has got to be illegal.

The request for an eye exam I suppose is acceptable, but I just received a form also asking for significant medical conditions, current medications, etc...this has got to be illegal.

That's definitely more than they should need, especially if they're looking for a medication list. As for the legality of it, that I don't know (and it may depend on the individual state).

Try getting a license or hospital privileges without giving that information.
Most will at least want to know any mental health, physical impairment and substance abuse history and current TB testing status. Most require at least a report from a doctor saying you have no serious medical problems.

Get used to having to give that information. Your privileges as to what information about your health you can withhold as a licensed practitioner are different than those of the public at large.

Try getting a license or hospital privileges without giving that information.
Most will at least want to know any mental health, physical impairment and substance abuse history and current TB testing status. Most require at least a report from a doctor saying you have no serious medical problems.

Interesting, because that wasn't my experience at all. The forms I've always had to fill out have asked yes/no questions about mental health, drug use, and physical ailments that would impair my ability to do my job. None of them have asked for a report from a physician.
Each place I've gotten privileges has required results of a Tb test, but since I had to get those annually through residency, it's no big deal.