Programs LIKE Harvard's HST MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lost In Transcription

reports of my assimilation are greatly exaggerated
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Anyone know of research focused MD programs (official part of curriculum with seminars/electives geared towards these students) similar to Harvard's? I know Duke will essentially let you do a similar program, just wondering if there is anything officially elsewhere. I'm 95% sure Harvard will never accept me (lol), so looking at non-MSTP research heavy options.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

For basic science? The difference is really in the coursework requirements. If you want to do research, just go to a school with a lot of resources for it and join a lab. Most Harvard MD/PhDs do Pathways since it's more valuable to just spend more time in lab than taking more rigorous coursework. HST is more like the "engineering" version of the curriculum.

If you want a dedicated program to support research, there are a variety of schools with 5 year options or some kind of scholarly project requirement that probably have what you are looking for

For basic science? The difference is really in the coursework requirements. If you want to do research, just go to a school with a lot of resources for it and join a lab. Most Harvard MD/PhDs do Pathways since it's more valuable to just spend more time in lab than taking more rigorous coursework. HST is more like the "engineering" version of the curriculum.

If you want a dedicated program to support research, there are a variety of schools with 5 year options or some kind of scholarly project requirement that probably have what you are looking for
I was hoping for more of the applied/engineering/translational focus! Though yes, I was just gonna pre-find funding (siiiiiiigh) and then work in someone's lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was hoping for more of the applied/engineering/translational focus! Though yes, I was just gonna pre-find funding (siiiiiiigh) and then work in someone's lab.

Ah ok. Hmmm I'm not sure if I know of any in particular although I know several schools which offer a 5th year with a masters in "translational science" or something. Perhaps you could try to find places with established collaborations between engineering / medicine departments? @ElCapone was interested in similar things IIRC so I'm tagging

Reactions: 1 user
Cleveland Clinic Lerner has a huge, huge emphasis on research.

Reactions: 2 users
Off the top of my head, NYU does a MD with Honors option which means that you will have done 20 weeks of research (applied/translational is an option) by the time you are done.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My school sent emails for the immunology grad program for Harvard. It seemed like they're not getting many students in it so Harvard asked our school to disperse the info (don't quote me on this).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think Yale has something like this.

Ah ok. Hmmm I'm not sure if I know of any in particular although I know several schools which offer a 5th year with a masters in "translational science" or something. Perhaps you could try to find places with established collaborations between engineering / medicine departments? @ElCapone was interested in similar things IIRC so I'm tagging

Ditto Luca. Also, most schools already have interdisciplinary engineering and medical research groups that you could participate in.

CCLCM is actually really great (I'd say better than Harvard's) because it's fully funded.