Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RU1992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope everything is going well. I just had a quick question in regards to paying for dental school. I'm applying this coming cycle and hopefully I'll get into 1/10 schools that I'm applying to. But my question is in regards to something I heard. I heard that there are some programs that the government will pay for your dental school tuition in exchange for you working in an underprivileged area for a certain amount of years after you graduate and for a certain salary. I just want to know if this is true, and if so, roughly how many years and what salary range are we speaking of? I know there is something with the NHSC, but I'm wondering if there are any others. Also, does this effect the starting salary at the place you begin (make it lower?) Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I hope everything is going well. I just had a quick question in regards to paying for dental school. I'm applying this coming cycle and hopefully I'll get into 1/10 schools that I'm applying to. But my question is in regards to something I heard. I heard that there are some programs that the government will pay for your dental school tuition in exchange for you working in an underprivileged area for a certain amount of years after you graduate and for a certain salary. I just want to know if this is true, and if so, roughly how many years and what salary range are we speaking of? I know there is something with the NHSC, but I'm wondering if there are any others. Also, does this effect the starting salary at the place you begin (make it lower?) Thank you in advance.

try checking into your state's department for higher education-they may have programs (other than WICHE) that might offer help with paying for school and loan repayment once graduated.

Do you know where I can find something like that for New Jersey?

Members don't see this ad :)

I had the same question.
someone please help out with this question.
thanks

Multiple options..
1. Military - you can have EVERYTHING paid for plus a ~2,000/month stipend. YOu work for them for the number of years you were paid. There is also a latent period to that were you can get called back. YOu have influence over where you want to go. You won't make as much money, but you'll exit with no loan debt if you recieved the 4 year program.

2. Indian Health service- Grant money and tuition assistance to work on a reservation for a determined number of years. I'm not positive on the salary here.

3. Some states have a RURAL PLACEMENT program. Often times in these situations you work in a small town which has to qualify for the program. You may get 50-100K in tuition reimbursement to work for 3-5 years in this rural practice. Some stipulations often include: Must work 30 hrs a week in the clinic/ 8-10 hrs doing business/office work. Also, a certain percentage (ex minimum of 40%) must include Medicare work. The grant is paid over the 3-5 years, not all at once. You will still be making the salary as usual, it's just that you are supporting the local area and getting a tuition grant.

Do you know where I can find more information about any of those last 2, not the military one? That's really not one that I'd be interested in.
I think the last option may be the underprivileged area one that I was referring to, but I'm not sure.

Whichever option you end up doing, make sure you research it throughly and talk to people who have done it. Its not all peachy keen as you might think.