prokaryotes have cytoskeleton?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ammarm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
While doing questions from the DAT Destroyer.. i came across this statement on qsn 320 where it says that prokaryotes have cytoskeleton? as far as i know prokaryotes do not have cytoskeleton as per Cliffs AP. I was wondering if we should say yes or no to the question if it comes up in DAT?

Members don't see this ad.

" It was once thought that prokaryotic cells did not possess cytoskeletons, but recent advances in visualization technology and structure determination have shown that filaments indeed exist in these cells."

this is similar to the discussion in this forum where people decided that they will say that plants do not have lysosomes (for the DAT) event though they are recently discovered. So do we assume the same for the cytoskeleton in plants for the DAT?

my understanding is that Prokaryotes don't have cytoskeleton for the DAT. I might be wrong though. I do know that recent findings are showing that bacteria do have actin-like structures (M Z rings?) that utilizes it for binary fission.