prometric dry eraseboards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qkchen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys, i was wondering for those of you that have taken the DATs already what those dry eraseboards actually look like. i heard that these things were 8"x11" with grids on them (1cm by 1cm dimension grids?) and were laminated.

basically, i'm either trying to buy or replicate something similar to these so i can practice on them. if you have any suggestions, please share. thanks and gl to you all

Members don't see this ad.

They were 8x11 with maybe 1/5 of the page unavailable due to printed information. They gave me two pages (4 sides to write on) and it was not bad. Just remember to cap your pens and you should be fine. They also gave me two pens.

what do you mean by unavailable and what kind of printed information were on them? also, do you remember how big the grids were? thanks in advance

the grid lines were small... like graph paper (1cm x 1cm sounds about right)

for practice, I just bought a small dry-erase board to practice on, helped my wrist with muscle memory of erasing lol

I did not have to use both sheets (even on QR), the other sheet I used for jotting notes down at the beginning like conversions, formulas, random facts and stuff

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any centers that give out paper and pencil? Do they still offer paper and pencil?

Are there any centers that give out paper and pencil? Do they still offer paper and pencil?

I believe it varies from place to place. I've read they'd give paper and pen when the crappy markers stopped working and you bitched about it enough.

I find it funny that everyone seems to have the same experience with the crappy markers. What's stupid is that it costs about 1 dollar to buy a dry erase marker yet they can't afford to buy new ones or even allow you to bring a brand new ones that are unopened.

I wonder how much of a cut of the fee does prometric.

It's ADA's rule that no paper and pencils can be used on the test; however, I'm sure some testing centers have overlooked this and given them to people anyway. The reason they make test takers use the dry erase 'boards' is because people would put the paper up on the screen and trace the angles and keyholes in the PAT section....

I went to Office Depot and just had them make me a grid(1cm x 1cm) on a couple sheets of paper and then laminate it. I have used this to practice with while studying for the DAT. It's nice bc I can do a lot of QR and GChem problems without having to waste a bunch of paper. It is also nice to have practice writing with the marker(especially if you plan on making a road map for the RC section). My handwriting was so illegible at first, but has gotten much better after practice!

I've heard that sometimes the markers are in pretty bad shape.

Do you think if I brought my own fine-tip markers still in the package they would let me use them?

Doubt it.... The girl at the prom center was soo nice, she like open a brand new case of markers and handed me 3 brand new ones BEFORE I went in to start my DAT. She said, don't worry if they go bad, just come out and let me know and I'll get you a couple more

Doubt it.... The girl at the prom center was soo nice, she like open a brand new case of markers and handed me 3 brand new ones BEFORE I went in to start my DAT. She said, don't worry if they go bad, just come out and let me know and I'll get you a couple more

Well if that's the case than I am fine with this. I just worry about getting there and being stuck with bad markers. Certainly it wouldn't hurt to bring a few with me just in case.

are you sure you didn't flirt with the check in girl? Admit it you flashed the pearly whites and she cracked open a box for you. ;)

It's ADA's rule that no paper and pencils can be used on the test; however, I'm sure some testing centers have overlooked this and given them to people anyway. The reason they make test takers use the dry erase 'boards' is because people would put the paper up on the screen and trace the angles and keyholes in the PAT section....

Hahaha, I would've never thought of tracing the angles on paper... that's pretty funny.

I went to the prometric center in Culver City, CA and they gave me 2 double-sided laminated sheets, 2 black markers, and a dry eraser. They were very strict about not bringing in ANY of your belongings, including your own markers or whatnot. I usually write small with a fine pencil, so I had to write bigger than usual because the markers were relatively thick, but otherwise, it wasn't really a problem. Like someone else mentioned, it's important that you recap the markers when you're not using them because they dry out if you don't. I used one sheet for keeping track of marked/skipped problems and one sheet for scratch paper, then erased everything after each timed section. Remember to write your numbers clearly. It always sucks to miss a question because you misread your own writing.

are you sure you didn't flirt with the check in girl? Admit it you flashed the pearly whites and she cracked open a box for you. ;)

OKAY FINE !!!!! MAYBE I FLIRTED A LITTLE, she was really cute. I woulda asked for her number but after the test I was sooo excited that I forgot all about everything and just hit micdonalds and ordered 2x large oreo mCflurries

I visited the testing center to check them out. I printed graph paper to mimc it (just google around and u can find templates) and took it to Kinkos and had it laminated, it looks exactly like the testing center's, just newer.

Or, you could take graph paper and stuff it in one of those plastic protectors, it's practically the same thing lol

i got this for 2 bucks and i WISH Prometric would switch, its like a real whiteboard. http://www.scienceaide.com/gridscratchsheet.php but it's a lot nicer than the ones my testing center gave.

Last edited:
Good piece of advice...do not forget to put the cap on when you are not using your marker. On the first section of bio i forgot to cap my marker and i kid you not, it was dried up before the general chem section. On my break i just got another one, but why chance it.