Prometrics computer crashed during Step 1 won't be able to reschedule until 7/10

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MakingLemonade

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all, I was talking Step 1 this week at Prometrics when my computer showed an error logged out message screen in the middle of my 6th block. The proctor tried to switch me to different stations and eventually concluded that my exam was not recoverable. I was given a case number to contact NBME and the proctors at Prometrics reassured that I would be able to reschedule to take it again within the upcoming week. NBME was very quick to reply but they informed me that unfortunately, since I had already done more than 4 blocks of the exam, they would have to wait for scores to come out July 10th to determine if they could reissue another permit. In other words, depending on how well I had done on most of the exam, they can either reissue another permit or ask me to apply for another permit all over again (if my score is calculated to be failing).

I do not know what to do at this point because rotations is scheduled to start in July for me. I have contacted my school regarding this matter and they have also been very helpful.

At this point, any advice or recommendations would help. I feel so numb, everything thrown into uncertainty. I don't know when I'll be able to take another Step 1 exam and where.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm so sorry thats such a ****ty situation to be put in...i bet you were, like the rest of us, anxiously awaiting for this nightmare to be over already. I don't think your school can legally make you take time off from rotations because this is not something that you had control over. I think maybe you can work out a deal with NBME to grade your test on the part of the test that you did? I doubt they'd agree but I think its worth a shot to ask. Also, I think you should get your money back.