Proof of Shadowing or Observation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
G

grant555

Hello fellow predents,

There have been a few questions concerning how a person can prove experience or shadowing. The Ohio State College of Dentistry has remedied the problem easily. They have a form that can be downloaded and that the dentist you observed can fill out and sign. It also has a section on it where you can attach the dentist's business card. I have used the form twice already and it is very convenient. It has the Ohio STate logo on it which I whited out with liquid paper and made copies so that I can send the form to different schools to which I apply. For anyone interested click this link and the problem is solved http://www.dent.ohio-state.edu/admissions/Requirements/Req_DENTAL_PRACTICE_OBSERVATION.htm

Members don't see this ad.

It's funny you bring this up because I wondered how many students just put down a name and some hours. I know ad-coms really cant check every fact, but they can estimate the hours. I remember having my mentor write me a letter of rec and he said that he can't even count the hours I spent shadowing. I think in total i spent well over a 1000 hrs shadowing, but that was over the course of 2 years, and some days were 10 hr days....
I think that most dentists probably wont even care about it, in fact they won't know because they don't keep track of that stuff.
If you're cool with your dentist they will sign off whatever, so long you have the knowledge....
But i think having a shadowing sheet makes it a lot better.

True to that. I think the norm is for applicants to have 50-200 hours of shadowing.

It's cases where people have huge amounts, like your 1000 hours, that really stand out and make a log or record-keeping sheet really valuable.

By the way, I'm very impressed with the 1000 hours--what a great way to immerse yourself in the profession and discover it for yourself.

I wish I would have had the dedication to start shadowing early. I have quite a few hours, but not that many!