Proof Of Shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SyrianHero

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you supposed to get some type of proof when you shadow a doctor or do they just "take your word" on the app?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you supposed to get some type of proof when you shadow a doctor or do they just "take your word" on the app?

I believe that you have to give them enough information that, if they felt like it, they could call and confirm your stated experiences.

Pretty sure you give contact info of the physician on the app. you wouldn't want them calling a doctor that you didn't shadow...

Members don't see this ad :)

Even though you provide that contact info, the chances that someone from the school will actually attempt to verify this are likely pretty low. Unless it's blatantly obvious that you're lying or you do/say some things that call your honesty into question, I doubt anyone will take the time to verify what you write.

Even though you provide that contact info, the chances that someone from the school will actually attempt to verify this are likely pretty low. Unless it's blatantly obvious that you're lying or you do/say some things that call your honesty into question, I doubt anyone will take the time to verify what you write.

Agreed, however in the context of OPs prior thread about trying to sneak bad science grades out of the BCPM category, I would point out that people tend to overestimate their ability to bluff their way through false experiences. It is exactly in this kind of situation that I have seen the adcoms check references in the ECs.

Agreed, however in the context of OPs prior thread about trying to sneak bad science grades out of the BCPM category, I would point out that people tend to overestimate their ability to bluff their way through false experiences. It is exactly in this kind of situation that I have seen the adcoms check references in the ECs.

Hah, didn't know that.

Good luck with the whole making stuff up thing.

I grouped my physician shadowing under 1 category in the AMCAS application since that seemed to be what the work and activities section said to do. However, I listed only 1 of the 2 doctor's numbers in the contact section. For the doctor who's number I didn't list, I said I did a lot of hands on learning at her clinic, but since they have no number to verify my claim, will I be screwed?

I'm not trying to bluff anyone, and I only asked this question so I know if I need to ask the doctor I shadow for some sort of proof. As for my earlier thread about grades, I'm asking you guys to know what the right thing to do is. So don't assume that I'm trying to be dishonest. I appreciate your feedback tho.

It's not like the reference system is foolproof. He could easily lie about shadowing a recently deceased doctor who never retired. I mean, I doubt physicians keep records of who they let shadow.

It's not like the reference system is foolproof. He could easily lie about shadowing a recently deceased doctor who never retired. I mean, I doubt physicians keep records of who they let shadow.

Yes, but if everyone you ever worked with is dead, the adcoms may have other worries about you :D

When I shadowed, the physician's assistant was kind enough to write up a memorandum saying that I shadowed a group of physicians at that hospital. Ask someone who works at the place you're shadowing if they could do something similar.