Propofol Inservice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tegs15

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had a complete cluster yesterday trying to use propofol for post intubation sedation on a seizing pt. Mainly seems that nursing is really uncomfortable due to some mistakes made a yr ago. We have a protocol but they just haven't bought in and really aren't up to speed with things. Was hoping to put on a short inservice about the drug, it's use, risks etc. Does anybody have anything like this they would be willing to share? Thought 20-30 min, then have the nurse manager run them through the set up and titration if the pump. Any other thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure what inservicing you need for an intubated patient with a titratable gtt. 5mcg/kg/min, tirate every 3-5 minutes by 5 until you achieve the recommended level f sedation, if it is causing hypotension, call the doc...anything else related to more long-term stuff is best dealt with by the icu nurses. Now push-dose propofol I can understand nursing being a bit iffy about, but at my place, I have to technically push it even for RSI.

Last edited: