Pros and Cons of a Career in Forensic Psychiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
the concept of forensic psychiatry sounds interesting to me, but I don't have much insight into because i will only be starting residency this july.

any thoughts on this subject?

Members don't see this ad.

there must be at least one psychiatry resident out there who has an interest/insight in forensic psychiatry. please provide some feedback. thank you.

A downside, depending on your persepctive, is more time with paperwork and writing reports and appearing in court as expert testimony, etc., than spending most of your time in a traditional inpatient environment, or treating anxiety disorders, etc., .

Plus, your life is also under a lot more threat.

Members don't see this ad :)
prominence said:
there must be at least one psychiatry resident out there who has an interest/insight in forensic psychiatry. please provide some feedback. thank you.
Pros:
1. Private practice options= good $$
2. Flexible lifestyle
3.Chance of being under the spotlight :D

Cons:
1.Can not be your only source of income ie to avoid being a hired gun
2. Not intellectually stimulating
3. Prison work
4.Non-therapeuutic relationship w/ pts can be frustating
Read gutheils books from APPI to get a more detailed and realistic picture of contemporary practice.

mdblue said:
Pros:
1. Private practice options= good $$
2. Flexible lifestyle
3.Chance of being under the spotlight :D

Cons:
1.Can not be your only source of income ie to avoid being a hired gun
2. Not intellectually stimulating
3. Prison work
4.Non-therapeuutic relationship w/ pts can be frustating
Read gutheils books from APPI to get a more detailed and realistic picture of contemporary practice.

That's funny, some of your 'cons' I find to be 'pros,' and vice versa. The spotlight could be intimidating and hostile, in some environments. I think that's why so many physicians, psychiatrists in particular, stay away from voluntary court appearances. The prospect of some lawyer trying to make you look stupid based on one article that flies in the face of more substantiated science can be difficult to argue against to an unintelligent jury.

Don't you think the concept of a sought-after expert (hired gun) can be exciting? Although you did qualify it by saying that it probably shouldn't be your only source of income. That much I agree with.

I'll combine points 3 and 4 of the con list to say: "Prison work isn't intellectually stimulating." I have found the concept of case review, discovery, researching of certain treatment elements and extrapolation exciting. Criminal profiling is certainly exciting, albeit a small part of forensic work. Certainly the glamorous "Silence of the Lambs" cases are more rare than we'd like.

I've read Gutheil's books. Some are certainly better than others, but are nevertheless very interesting reads. "The psychiatrist in Court" can be read in a night or two and provides some good, but very basic advice for the panic-stricken (i.e. sued) psychiatrist.

I plan to do a forensic fellowship (if I get in) and if I still have the energy after all this. I've kept that interest for a long, long time.

Anasazi23 said:
That's funny, some of your 'cons' I find to be 'pros,' and vice versa. The spotlight could be intimidating and hostile, in some environments. I think that's why so many physicians, psychiatrists in particular, stay away from voluntary court appearances. The prospect of some lawyer trying to make you look stupid based on one article that flies in the face of more substantiated science can be difficult to argue against to an unintelligent jury.

sure, but most cases don't need the psychiatrist to be in the court. A written record usually suffice. Again, you will need the serious looking white-bearded look for those rare appearences :D
And since you are the expert you are supposed to stick w/ the truth, irrespective of whose side you are representating, which is an oxymoron. To avoid this ethical dilemma, most experts seek some kind of direct appointment by the judge where both the sides consent to the appointment.
Also a lot of this is done by PhDs and PsyDs who have more time to administer tests and more flexible w/ their hours/wages.

I'll combine points 3 and 4 of the con list to say: "Prison work isn't intellectually stimulating." I have found the concept of case review, discovery, researching of certain treatment elements and extrapolation exciting. Criminal profiling is certainly exciting, albeit a small part of forensic work. Certainly the glamorous "Silence of the Lambs" cases are more rare than we'd like.

Again, 70% or more of prison population are mentally ill and they need MH tx. W/ restricted formulary(no SGA, depakote etc), inadequate support staff and poor reimbursement(unless you are the contractor) makes it unpalatable to me.

I plan to do a forensic fellowship (if I get in) and if I still have the energy after all this. I've kept that interest for a long, long time.

you can practice forensic report writing w/o any formal fellowship, if you stay out of the coasts. Do few months of elective and shadow a professsional forensic psychiatrist in your 4th yr.