Pros and Cons of NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycphildoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an MS-1 at NYCOM, and figure I'll inform you guys of my opinions of the school. First, the academic scheduling at the school does not make much sense to me. Currently, us first years are taking: Histiology, Physiology, OMM, Anatomy, and Biochemistry. We have approximately 5 weeks of classes, then a week of exams. I think we are taking too many classes at once. I have stopped going to class, as have many of my classmates and use the notes given to us to study from. The people I go to school are very nice, as are the facilities of the school. Although, there are very few recreational activities for students. The class size is 300, in labs there ARE plenty of professors to help you.

Members don't see this ad.

nyc

Thank you very much for the insight. I interviewed there a few weeks ago and I like what I saw.

Do you care to elaborate or give more information?

How do the students get along?
How available are professors for help?
What do you feel is the strongest NYCOM quality?
How about the clinical education...do you know anything about that?
What about post-grad opportunities for NYCOM students? How helpful is the school in helping students with internships & residencies?
Overall...are you happy there?

I asked these questions when I was there and I got favorable responses. Just looking for more opinions from more people.

Thanks!

The students get along well here.
the professors are actually readily accessible - have have open office hours usually.
the strongest quality of nycom is that you take classes that no other schools take, classes that will help a lot in your 3rd and 4th years during your hospital rotation - It always reflects well on you if you know your stuff before your exposed to it in the hospital. I do not know much about the clinical years as I am a first year. And, as far as the happiness factor goes, I am quite happy here - obviously, alot depends upon the people you meet here (I have met some good ones).

Hope that helps.