Pros and Cons of LECOM-Seton Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hasniii

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Hi,
I just got II for LECOM Seton Hill. I do have one DO acceptance and I am looking for if LECOM Seton Hill can be a better choice.
That is why if somebody can list pros and cons for this campus, will be greatly appreciated.
Edit:
Since it would be PBL only, few hours of strict dress code and other eating rules, I can tolerate.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Hi,
I just got II for LECOM Seton Hill. I do have one DO acceptance and I am looking for if LECOM Seton Hill can be a better choice.
That is why if somebody can list pros and cons for this campus, will be greatly appreciated.
Edit:
Since it would be PBL only, few hours of strict dress code and other eating rules, I can tolerate.
Where is your other acceptance?

Reactions: 1 user
Where is your other acceptance?
PCOM-GA. They do have some cons that is not dedicated board prep time and not home hospital, but so far I am happy with the acceptance. Was looking for if LECOM-SH can give me more benefit. While I do not know much about LECOM, but so far the most concern I have is regarding their M3 and M4 rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
PCOM-GA. They do have some cons that is not dedicated board prep time and not home hospital, but so far I am happy with the acceptance. Was looking for if LECOM-SH can give me more benefit. While I do not know much about LECOM, but so far the most concern I have is regarding their M3 and M4 rotations.
Their tuition is hard to beat

LECOM up north has pretty good rotations compared to most DO schools. They have no anatomy lab which might seem like a bad thing now, but would be pretty great in IMO. They’re up front with the fact that they have zero research, but supposedly there are opportunities at LECOM-E. After the interview you fill out a form and can decide if you’d like to attend seton hill, Erie pbl/ldp.

Reactions: 2 users
They have no anatomy lab which might seem like a bad thing now, but would be pretty great in IMO.

Glad I’m not the only one who thinks this. Every pre-med ever wants to dissect but anatomy lab is the biggest time suck in medical school. Picking through fat for hours on end simply means less time to study, and no it won’t make you a good surgeon in case anyone else reading wanted to think that.

Reactions: 7 users
Glad I’m not the only one who thinks this. Every pre-med ever wants to dissect but anatomy lab is the biggest time suck in medical school. Picking through fat for hours on end simply means less time to study, and no it won’t make you a good surgeon in case anyone else reading wanted to think that.
It’s worth derailing this thread just to emphasize that this is the most accurate statement on SDN. Sometimes it’s nice to be able to see stuff in person, but I’d be exaggerating if I claimed anatomy lab was even 20% useful.

LECOM-E uses prosections which is really the way to go w anatomy imo.

Reactions: 1 users
LECOM up north has pretty good rotations compared to most DO schools. They have no anatomy lab which might seem like a bad thing now, but would be pretty great in IMO. They’re up front with the fact that they have zero research, but supposedly there are opportunities at LECOM-E. After the interview you fill out a form and can decide if you’d like to attend seton hill, Erie pbl/ldp.
I know the surrounding hospitals would have very good rotations but do you know or have any resource where I can get better understanding of the different rotations I can get from there.

Are you a student there. If yes I have few specific questions. If somebody else can chime in also, would be appreciated.

Q. What are some potential problems/concerns people have who are studying there.

Q. Does bring in SH Campus put you at disadvantage or any advantage.

Q. Can student travel around and get research in nearby hospitals

Q.do students have opportunity to have preclinical exposure.

Q. The quality of the rotations there.

Q. Best way to get most out of Lecom SH campus

Thanks

I know the surrounding hospitals would have very good rotations but do you know or have any resource where I can get better understanding of the different rotations I can get from there.

Are you a student there. If yes I have few specific questions. If somebody else can chime in also, would be appreciated.

Q. What are some potential problems/concerns people have who are studying there.

Q. Does bring in SH Campus put you at disadvantage or any advantage.

Q. Can student travel around and get research in nearby hospitals

Q.do students have opportunity to have preclinical exposure.

Q. The quality of the rotations there.

Q. Best way to get most out of Lecom SH campus

Thanks
im not a student there. Almost attended but decided to go elsewhere. Thinking about that tuition, I sometimes regret it.

Got familiar with sites while I was considering it.

Not to derail the point, but yes Anatomy is a time suck.

All you need is, netters, rohens photo atlas, and acland anatomy dvd.

Current student at PCOM-GA. Was accepted to LECOM Seton Hill and I have to say, if I could go back I would take it. I'll try to answer some of your questions based on the answers I got when interviewing.

Q: Potential problems for studying is that the library is small. Seton Hill students actually are not very fond of LECOM students. There are lots of complaints about how LECOM students are "entitled" and take up their study space even though the LECOM students have their own library. Back in the day, there was in app called Yik Yak and there were A LOT of complaints about LECOM students on it. Take that with a grain of salt lol.

Q: I would say knowing what I know now, PBL would be awesome. Anything that gives me the least amount of lecture time I would take. PCOM-GA has a lot of BS mandatory lectures during second year. They'll take off percentage points from your grade if you don't attend and a lot of it is not board relevant. It's information that would be useful for 3rd and 4th year rotations, but as someone who is trying to focus on boards, it's incredibly difficult with all the mandatory lectures.

Q: You can travel for research. I've asked other LECOM-SH students and some go to Pitt (40 minutes away) to do research. Some students at PCOM-GA do research in Atlanta which is 40 minutes away from campus. Lots have done summer research programs. Although, it is pretty easy to get "on-campus" research as a lot of the faculty at PCOM-GA are really into research.

Q: Not sure. At PCOM-GA we don't get much pre-clinical exposure unless we go out and venture for it. There are workshops that the clubs do like suture clinics and ER simulations, but I'm sure this is the same for most med schools.

Q: You set up your own rotations at LECOM-SH. To me this is awesome. It's a lot of leg work, sure. But at PCOM-GA most of our rotation sites are in rural cities with nothing. I got placed in the most rural city Moultrie, GA where there is literally nothing around. Best thing they have is Walmart. You can Google it if you want. Looking back, I'd rather set up my own rotations where at least I have some control on where I get to go.

When you get to Greenville for your LECOM-SH interview, you probably won't like it. It's nothing like Suwanee, GA if you like suburban and city life. I liked PCOM-GA my first year. But as a second year, you'll probably get real fed up. I have friends at both the Seton Hill and Bradenton campuses and they're relatively happy. A lot of people on SDN crap on LECOM's administration for the dress code and water/food thing. I bought into it but honestly, dress code isn't a big deal. PCOM-GA has a dress code when "guest lectures" visit. During your second year, that will be a lot. We have mandatory lectures from 8am to 4pm a lot nowadays where we have to dress up.

Go into your interview open-minded about LECOM-SH. I read a lot of bad stuff about LECOM here and I went into the interview with those preconceived notions. But I will say, and if this is the only thing you get from my little info session/rant, everyone is right about anatomy lab being a time sink. I thought "anatomy lab will be awesome, I need to go to a school with an anatomy lab." It's a waste of time. It will take 10+ hours of your time a week. You'll spend 4 hours of your time taking out the fat and fascia. Then you'll have to try and examine the other dissections that everyone botched, trying to figure out how the rhomboids ended up on top of the trapezius. It's just not an effective way to learn (if surgeons did the dissections, I think it would be) and if I could go back, I'd rather my 50k tuition go to something more worthwhile.

Reactions: 8 users
Current student at PCOM-GA. Was accepted to LECOM Seton Hill and I have to say, if I could go back I would take it. I'll try to answer some of your questions based on the answers I got when interviewing.

Q: Potential problems for studying is that the library is small. Seton Hill students actually are not very fond of LECOM students. There are lots of complaints about how LECOM students are "entitled" and take up their study space even though the LECOM students have their own library. Back in the day, there was in app called Yik Yak and there were A LOT of complaints about LECOM students on it. Take that with a grain of salt lol.

Q: I would say knowing what I know now, PBL would be awesome. Anything that gives me the least amount of lecture time I would take. PCOM-GA has a lot of BS mandatory lectures during second year. They'll take off percentage points from your grade if you don't attend and a lot of it is not board relevant. It's information that would be useful for 3rd and 4th year rotations, but as someone who is trying to focus on boards, it's incredibly difficult with all the mandatory lectures.

Q: You can travel for research. I've asked other LECOM-SH students and some go to Pitt (40 minutes away) to do research. Some students at PCOM-GA do research in Atlanta which is 40 minutes away from campus. Lots have done summer research programs. Although, it is pretty easy to get "on-campus" research as a lot of the faculty at PCOM-GA are really into research.

Q: Not sure. At PCOM-GA we don't get much pre-clinical exposure unless we go out and venture for it. There are workshops that the clubs do like suture clinics and ER simulations, but I'm sure this is the same for most med schools.

Q: You set up your own rotations at LECOM-SH. To me this is awesome. It's a lot of leg work, sure. But at PCOM-GA most of our rotation sites are in rural cities with nothing. I got placed in the most rural city Moultrie, GA where there is literally nothing around. Best thing they have is Walmart. You can Google it if you want. Looking back, I'd rather set up my own rotations where at least I have some control on where I get to go.

When you get to Greenville for your LECOM-SH interview, you probably won't like it. It's nothing like Suwanee, GA if you like suburban and city life. I liked PCOM-GA my first year. But as a second year, you'll probably get real fed up. I have friends at both the Seton Hill and Bradenton campuses and they're relatively happy. A lot of people on SDN crap on LECOM's administration for the dress code and water/food thing. I bought into it but honestly, dress code isn't a big deal. PCOM-GA has a dress code when "guest lectures" visit. During your second year, that will be a lot. We have mandatory lectures from 8am to 4pm a lot nowadays where we have to dress up.

Go into your interview open-minded about LECOM-SH. I read a lot of bad stuff about LECOM here and I went into the interview with those preconceived notions. But I will say, and if this is the only thing you get from my little info session/rant, everyone is right about anatomy lab being a time sink. I thought "anatomy lab will be awesome, I need to go to a school with an anatomy lab." It's a waste of time. It will take 10+ hours of your time a week. You'll spend 4 hours of your time taking out the fat and fascia. Then you'll have to try and examine the other dissections that everyone botched, trying to figure out how the rhomboids ended up on top of the trapezius. It's just not an effective way to learn (if surgeons did the dissections, I think it would be) and if I could go back, I'd rather my 50k tuition go to something more worthwhile.
Thank you so much for your cooperations. I was trying to be open minded but whatever I would search i could see the bias and whatnot. Really appreciate it.

Do you think pcom name has or will open more doors for you.

I will definitely be more open minded and will try objectively analyze.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I will try my best to add in my two cents as I interviewed back in Fall.

The school itself is located in a very countryside area of Pennsylvania as my AirBnB host described. However, it is very peaceful and townlike. Don't expect much especially if you are coming from a big city like myself (CA), definitely a change!

The school itself seems very nice, large campus that you will be sharing with other Seton Hill students for other undergraduate and graduate programs. It sort of gave off a Harry Potter style like building structures for the lack of better words. It was interesting to go to all the classrooms and what not, but it wasn't of my interest as it got quite confusing. The libraries for the medical students is very small, but my tour guide said students have multiple locations they go off to study.

As other have mentioned, the big thing about LECOM is they have a mandatory dress code, attendance and no food policy in classrooms, it seems like they are very strict about it. However, it wasn't a deciding factor for me as I have no problem with it.

The biggest attraction here is their PBL pathway lecture, I got a taste of it through their demo. I have to say it is very engaging and I actually liked it a lot because you don't just sit there with information thrown into your face. You are actively participating with your assigned group to seek more information. It definitely requires a lot of self-discipline and communication to do well as you are pretty much on your own except you meet with an instructor I believe twice a week for 2 hours. I can definitely see myself doing PBL, but just not at this school. Also, they have no actual anatomy lab for you to practice or learn, it is all automated on the computers. Personally thats a big no no for me because I like to be able to have the actual prosections in front of me. The MS1 and 2 students who gave us a tour said although no anatomy lab, they all do fine on their exams.

Another thing I noticed during my interview day is the atmosphere of the community, didn't seem to be that supportive compared to other schools I went to, where you clearly see students are happy to be there and know each other and also help each other. Could be my own bias perhaps...However, they have excellent board scores to back it up and the tuition is one of the cheapest in the country if that is your interest.

All in all, it seems to get the job done and also saves money and if setting your own study schedule is what you prefer. I would say take my judgement with a grain of salt and attend the interview if you have the funds as it doesn't hurt. If you do decide to attend the interview, it will be a group style interview to see how you would perform in a group setting or essentially in a PBL setting.

Hope this helps!!

Reactions: 3 users
Do you think pcom name has or will open more doors for you.

I will definitely be more open minded and will try objectively analyze.
I think the PCOM name definitely opens doors for you during the summer if you try to apply for stuff like research programs. This is probably only true for the east coast, but a lot of MD students and faculty that I've met know about PCOM, CCOM, NYIT and Rowan and have had relatively good experiences with those students. Not sure if it will help for residency (I'm sure your board score is pretty much the end all be all), but this shouldn't be your deciding factor.

I will try my best to add in my two cents as I interviewed back in Fall.

The school itself is located in a very countryside area of Pennsylvania as my AirBnB host described. However, it is very peaceful and townlike. Don't expect much especially if you are coming from a big city like myself (CA), definitely a change!

The school itself seems very nice, large campus that you will be sharing with other Seton Hill students for other undergraduate and graduate programs. It sort of gave off a Harry Potter style like building structures for the lack of better words. It was interesting to go to all the classrooms and what not, but it wasn't of my interest as it got quite confusing. The libraries for the medical students is very small, but my tour guide said students have multiple locations they go off to study.

As other have mentioned, the big thing about LECOM is they have a mandatory dress code, attendance and no food policy in classrooms, it seems like they are very strict about it. However, it wasn't a deciding factor for me as I have no problem with it.

The biggest attraction here is their PBL pathway lecture, I got a taste of it through their demo. I have to say it is very engaging and I actually liked it a lot because you don't just sit there with information thrown into your face. You are actively participating with your assigned group to seek more information. It definitely requires a lot of self-discipline and communication to do well as you are pretty much on your own except you meet with an instructor I believe twice a week for 2 hours. I can definitely see myself doing PBL, but just not at this school. Also, they have no actual anatomy lab for you to practice or learn, it is all automated on the computers. Personally thats a big no no for me because I like to be able to have the actual prosections in front of me. The MS1 and 2 students who gave us a tour said although no anatomy lab, they all do fine on their exams.

Another thing I noticed during my interview day is the atmosphere of the community, didn't seem to be that supportive compared to other schools I went to, where you clearly see students are happy to be there and know each other and also help each other. Could be my own bias perhaps...However, they have excellent board scores to back it up and the tuition is one of the cheapest in the country if that is your interest.

All in all, it seems to get the job done and also saves money and if setting your own study schedule is what you prefer. I would say take my judgement with a grain of salt and attend the interview if you have the funds as it doesn't hurt. If you do decide to attend the interview, it will be a group style interview to see how you would perform in a group setting or essentially in a PBL setting.

Hope this helps!!
Will definitely go there with open mind and objectively analyze.

Good luck, PM me if you have any questions about the interview process, or getting there and what not :)

Does LECOM still have mandatory attendance or otherwise penalize missing class?

Does LECOM still have mandatory attendance or otherwise penalize missing class?
I believe so. However with PBL, there is less class time so it is less of an issue for students that don't like that.

Definitely do not list SH as your first choice; even if this ends up being your only interview/acceptance, try and do PBL at Erie if that is what you want, do not assume the only difference is where you would like to live for 2 years. Erie makes the exams and the quality of anatomy instruction here is beyond appalling.
Not only does Dr. *REDACTED BY MODS* not know the most basic of material, she does not care at all. When she tried to tell us the lateral arm was the T1 dermatome, and everyone immediately questioned her (since it's literally the most basic material you will cover), she just shrugged her shoulders and said ok as if we were teaching her. The first quiz covered more material than she had intimated, and her response when we went over the answers was, "guess I was half asleep when I read over the quiz when Erie sent it to me." In other instances when we go over radiology images and key clinical concepts in these "forum" lectures, she will legitimately not know the right answer; she will says things like, "I think it's just the radial nerve that is impacted here," and the worst part is that she doesn't seem embarrassed at all to not know half the material she is supposed to present and clarify. My friend with a significant anatomy background can discuss and explain relevant material more fluidly, accessibly and confidently, which makes her complete lack of knowledge and mastery of the material all the more transparent. She could have informed us from the beginning of this year that we could access the lectures and PPT's of the Erie professor who makes the exams; instead, she only gave us that information after someone with a friend at Erie complained to their advisor , which was more than halfway through our section on the back and extremities. (This advisor said we are technically supposed to have access to all the same resources that Erie PBL can access; the fact that we didn't also speaks to a broader disorganization within the whole campus here, beyond just one professor in one course).
Between her apathy and ignorance I would 100% never have come here had I known more about it. If you interview at this site specifically I urge to question any administrator or professor you interact with as to why you would come here given the complete lack of organization and poor reviews; otherwise, I doubt anything will ever change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely do not list SH as your first choice; even if this ends up being your only interview/acceptance, try and do PBL at Erie if that is what you want, do not assume the only difference is where you would like to live for 2 years. Erie makes the exams and the quality of anatomy instruction here is beyond appalling.
Not only does Dr. *REDACTED BY MODS* not know the most basic of material, she does not care at all. When she tried to tell us the lateral arm was the T1 dermatome, and everyone immediately questioned her (since it's literally the most basic material you will cover), she just shrugged her shoulders and said ok as if we were teaching her. The first quiz covered more material than she had intimated, and her response when we went over the answers was, "guess I was half asleep when I read over the quiz when Erie sent it to me." In other instances when we go over radiology images and key clinical concepts in these "forum" lectures, she will legitimately not know the right answer; she will says things like, "I think it's just the radial nerve that is impacted here," and the worst part is that she doesn't seem embarrassed at all to not know half the material she is supposed to present and clarify. My friend with a significant anatomy background can discuss and explain relevant material more fluidly, accessibly and confidently, which makes her complete lack of knowledge and mastery of the material all the more transparent. She could have informed us from the beginning of this year that we could access the lectures and PPT's of the Erie professor who makes the exams; instead, she only gave us that information after someone with a friend at Erie complained to their advisor , which was more than halfway through our section on the back and extremities. (This advisor said we are technically supposed to have access to all the same resources that Erie PBL can access; the fact that we didn't also speaks to a broader disorganization within the whole campus here, beyond just one professor in one course).
Between her apathy and ignorance I would 100% never have come here had I known more about it. If you interview at this site specifically I urge to question any administrator or professor you interact with as to why you would come here given the complete lack of organization and poor reviews; otherwise, I doubt anything will ever change.
Complain to both your Dean and the Curriculum Dean ASAP.
This is not acceptable. Period.

Reactions: 2 users

Since this is supposed to be an anonymous forum, I believe it is unprofessional to mention specific names. I would hope the moderators would take this down or remove the specific names. This is unprofessional. As GORO indicated, there are internal mechanisms to investigate issues like this. Rather than complain on social media, complain through the chain of command.

I had a different anatomy course director than the current one, and I know some faculty turnover has happened since my pre-clinical years (I don’t know the individual described above) but I will say my experience with the faculty at LECOM-SH was great for the most part; I found the vast majority to be knowledgeable and accessible, and I had a good experience with PBL.

I don’t mean to discount the above poster’s experience— if true, he/she and classmates should absolutely complain to the powers that be— but I wanted to reassure other readers that as a recent graduate, while I’m not our administration’s biggest fan, I actually did feel prepared for boards and for residency at the end of the day.

Goro said:
I agree that it is not acceptable. But it simply does not make sense to be a martyr as a medical student. I would love to improve quality of life for future students in the program, but if that even sets one professor against me in a retaliatory manner, or a single negative comment makes it to my deans letter or rotation selection or whatever because of my complaint, then that could impact the rest of my life (career). Maybe I am a coward, but the prospect of that makes it not worth it.

In the days when you needed only to be able to hold a conversation and have a passing COMLEX score to specialize, maybe there was less on the line, and my calculus may have been different.

I have other strong opinions but too afraid of retaliation.

Goro said:
I agree that it is not acceptable. But it simply does not make sense to be a martyr as a medical student. I would love to improve quality of life for future students in the program, but if that even sets one professor against me in a retaliatory manner, or a single negative comment makes it to my deans letter or rotation selection or whatever because of my complaint, then that could impact the rest of my life (career). Maybe I am a coward, but the prospect of that makes it not worth it.

In the days when you needed only to be able to hold a conversation and have a passing COMLEX score to specialize, maybe there was less on the line, and my calculus may have been different.

I have other strong opinions but too afraid of retaliation.
Medical school is beyond stressful for all but the elite students,( and there are many). My wife went to class to socialize, never broke a sweat, top 11% of her university class. Now the rest of us mortals had to slog it out in the mosh pits of Anatomy and Biochem. Anatomy is so massive a topic, it cannot be completely presented in class. You will find for the most part you are teaching yourself. As I said in other threads, run your own race. You determine what kind of a residency applicant you will be, not your instructor, not the school. It's how much you are willing to adapt and work. That said, if venting and seeking support from social media gets you there, that's why we are all here. Was the game different when I was applying for residency and fellowship? Sure. But it is still a game , I would just have to play it differently today. If. neurosurgery is your passion, you should be at an allopathic university to have a decent chance of matching. Can you as a DO.? Sure, but you better be a Rock Star applicant. Allopathic students dont get a better education , they have crappy instructors too. They dont any special board info. So keep your head up, be honest with yourself. set realistic goals, then go out and do it. You are only limited by your creativity and how hard you want to work. Good luck and best wishes!