Pros and Cons of your DO School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ditto everything @hallowmann said (I graduated one year later). I will complain about our school’s administration all day long, but at they end of the day, I felt as prepared as I could be for boards and then for residency. Moreso for COMLEX than USMLE, admittedly, but as that’s the exam you need to graduate, pre-merger gearing curriculum more on the COMLEX made sense. PBL was a crazy system, but I didn’t feel like left me with any major holes— I just had to up my biochem game a bit.

I do find it odd that the people complaining the most currently are on some of the schools SDN loved most a few years ago (KCU). No offense to you all because I’ve met some of your comrades on rotations last year and they were great, but did something massive change in your curriculum or something?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
The whole "we don't have mandatory attendance, but we have clicker questions that make up like 7% of your grade" is one of the most egregiously DO things I have seen. It just follows the mindsets of schools that have numerical grading and all kinds of other antiquated policies so it shouldn't be a surprise. I have always said that my biggest gripe with my school has been the lack of transparency that is dangerously close to fraud. I learned more from past students about basic aspects of the school than I did during interviews because no one would answer questions straight up. I have come to learn that this is common in DO schools. Pathetic.

Everyone knows that non-mandatory attendance is just referring to your basic science lectures so I'm pretty bewildered by the above post.
Based upon comments in the MD student forum, MD students get the clicker questions/points deal as well. So I take it that some of you don't like instant feedback on your learning? Repetitive assessment drives learning, and does active learning. The idea is not to get you to sit through lecture....we know passive learning is not as good as other modalities.

Like it or not, there's published data that TBLs help you retain info longer. Personally, I can't stand TBLs, because it turns us Faculty into babysitters, while you do all the work, but we also believe in EBM,so, we do have practice what we preach in terms of medical education.

Even at U VM, where they did away with lectures completel, students still have to show up for other learning events.

I also agree that living 100 miles away from school is self-sabotaging behavior.

Ditto everything @hallowmann said (I graduated one year later). I will complain about our school’s administration all day long, but at they end of the day, I felt as prepared as I could be for boards and then for residency. Moreso for COMLEX than USMLE, admittedly, but as that’s the exam you need to graduate, pre-merger gearing curriculum more on the COMLEX made sense. PBL was a crazy system, but I didn’t feel like left me with any major holes— I just had to up my biochem game a bit.

I do find it odd that the people complaining the most currently are on some of the schools SDN loved most a few years ago (KCU). No offense to you all because I’ve met some of your comrades on rotations last year and they were great, but did something massive change in your curriculum or something?

I can't speak for others, but I'm a little sour at the moment on KCU's handling of our schedules. A good friend of mine goes to a mandatory lecture school and I am on campus as often as him due to required meetings *every day*.. is that not absurd? I chose KCU for the lack of required classes, and yet I am on campus every. single. day. Not only do they sprinkle in some random required x/y/z literally every single day, but they don't even put in an ounce of effort to schedule them intelligently. They'll have a lecture from 8-10 or whatever (not mandatory), followed by a mandatory lecture from 10-11. Why can't we just have the mandatory lecture right away in the morning so that our day isn't fragmented and delaying our ability to watch lectures and get them over with immediately following the lecture? It may seem trivial but they do things like this so often that I'm constantly up late studying purely due to spending a large portion of my day running around to various things. I could easily study/do well and be done by 5-7 pm each day if KCU didn't throw up so many roadblocks.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Quite well, but that's because of me, not the school. I thankfully caught on very early that the school wasn't going to prepare me for boards, so I took the necessary precautions from the very beginning unlike many other students who realized it much later but was too late for some of them, as reflected by their board scores.

Results are slowly coming out from back channels on my side. Most of the school cheerleaders are now pumping the Comlex as the best test ever while bashing the USMLE. Too bad for them that PDs don't gaf about their Comlex scores.

Results are slowly coming out from back channels on my side. Most of the school cheerleaders are now pumping the Comlex as the best test ever while bashing the USMLE. Too bad for them that PDs don't gaf about their Comlex scores.

It's a sign of them being desperate. I pray I live long enough to see the COMLEX phased out and witness their subsequent reaction.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Lol where was the citation exactly? You MUST have a research background for sure :claps:. How is hard data "biased"? And you continue to ignore the statement I've made 3 times now. That I KNOW PEOPLE PERSONALLY who chose not to take step not at all because they were in the bottom of the class. But because the school actively told us not to or were pursuing a field where taking step was not NECESSARY. I'm sorry you didn't do well at KCU and perhaps did not take step or feel comfortable taking step because of it. I'm sorry if you feel that your education at KCU was inadequate. You can continue to whine on here about how sad your life is if you so choose. But please don't sit on this forum and pretend like your story is anything close to the norm. If you're who I think you are, you have a reputation for having a poor attitude and a horrible sense of professionalism. I would caution anyone who is taking advice from you or listening to anything you have to say on this forum :rofl:

Lol get outta here, you cited the most biased and inconclusive statistic based on a group of self-selected students that in no way represents KCU's class as a whole, and then asked me to compare it to the nearby MD schools as if that makes any statistical sense. No research background?

And no need to take things so personally and become emotional.

Lol where was the citation exactly? You MUST have a research background for sure :claps:. How is hard data "biased"? And you continue to ignore the statement I've made 3 times now. That I KNOW PEOPLE PERSONALLY who chose not to take step not at all because they were in the bottom of the class. But because the school actively told us not to or were pursuing a field where taking step was not NECESSARY. I'm sorry you didn't do well at KCU and perhaps did not take step or feel comfortable taking step because of it. I'm sorry if you feel that your education at KCU was inadequate. You can continue to whine on here about how sad your life is if you so choose. But please don't sit on this forum and pretend like your story is anything close to the norm. If you're who I think you are, you have a reputation for having a poor attitude and a horrible sense of professionalism. I would caution anyone who is taking advice from you or listening to anything you have to say on this forum :rofl:
You're never going to convince self-hating DOs.

Based upon comments in the MD student forum, MD students get the clicker questions/points deal as well. So I take it that some of you don't like instant feedback on your learning? Repetitive assessment drives learning, and does active learning. The idea is not to get you to sit through lecture....we know passive learning is not as good as other modalities.

Like it or not, there's published data that TBLs help you retain info longer. Personally, I can't stand TBLs, because it turns us Faculty into babysitters, while you do all the work, but we also believe in EBM,so, we do have practice what we preach in terms of medical education.

Even at U VM, where they did away with lectures completel, students still have to show up for other learning events.

I also agree that living 100 miles away from school is self-sabotaging behavior.
At my school, this is absolutely about getting asses in seats due to the other policies they have made and pretty much verbally confirming it... then they made attendance mandatory so I am safe to say it given the preponderance of evidence (and now clickers aren't for a grade hmmmmmmmmmmm). I don't think anyone would care if faculty did some interactive clickers during class if it was not for a grade. The whole issue is that it's for a grade and clearly punishes people who don't go to class. You aren't going to hear anyone say that they aren't a decent tool to see what's going on during lecture for the student AND the lecturer.

Huge amounts of active learning at school is beyond stupid. There should be *some* supervised active learning in all curriculum in my opinion, but the crux of the issue is that good students are already doing active learning at home (hence their good grades/anki) so they have to sit through extra active learning that is usually a large waste of time when it is run by PhDs. Clinician active learning provides a framework to appreciate basic science from a medical perspective and you don't get 20 minute detours about asinine stuff because some students ask ridiculously useless questions and take up everyone's time. You can learn to think like a doctor a little bit in this environment, but can't because PhDs will absolutely never just tell some students their dumb pseudo-intellectual questions are not relevant to the real world or exams because they just don't know any better or appreciate esoteric garbage. Anyone who worked in healthcare prior to school can see just how out of touch PhDs are with medicine when they write cases or speak about real life applications/examples of some basic science activities.

I think you would be hard-pressed to find people who have graduated medical school that don't think at least some in-class, active learning situations are necessary. That does not mean that most of them aren't useless or poorly schedule. First year, there were definitely month long stretches that I was at school every day for probably 2 hours max because of bad planning. The problem is that when 100 different things are careless or unlucky, or "just the way it is" that isn't a coincidence. That is malicious.

Based on what you have said, I can guarantee that this is not the person you think it is. Just figured you should know.

Reactions: 1 user
Haha fair. It just baffles me how someone can sit online and continue to complain about an education they continued to pay into and will be doing so for another 2 years. At that point just leave :shrug:. Life is too short to waste in bitter resentment.

You're never going to convince self-hating DOs.

Maybe it's not and maybe it is but it's all besides the point anyways. I still don't care for him/her and people need to know that his/her opinion isn't the norm. KCU is a tough school but there are PLENTY of people who are happy with the education they received. They probably just have more important things to do with their time. I only joined the forum Thursday to get some advice on shelves and wanted to add my 2 cents. I think KCU's step average is something to be proud of and I'll keep saying it.

Based on what you have said, I can guarantee that this is not the person you think it is. Just figured you should know.

At my school, this is absolutely about getting asses in seats due to the other policies they have made and pretty much verbally confirming it... then they made attendance mandatory so I am safe to say it given the preponderance of evidence (and now clickers aren't for a grade hmmmmmmmmmmm). I don't think anyone would care if faculty did some interactive clickers during class if it was not for a grade. The whole issue is that it's for a grade and clearly punishes people who don't go to class. You aren't going to hear anyone say that they aren't a decent tool to see what's going on during lecture for the student AND the lecturer.

Huge amounts of active learning at school is beyond stupid. There should be *some* supervised active learning in all curriculum in my opinion, but the crux of the issue is that good students are already doing active learning at home (hence their good grades/anki) so they have to sit through extra active learning that is usually a large waste of time when it is run by PhDs. Clinician active learning provides a framework to appreciate basic science from a medical perspective and you don't get 20 minute detours about asinine stuff because some students ask ridiculously useless questions and take up everyone's time. You can learn to think like a doctor a little bit in this environment, but can't because PhDs will absolutely never just tell some students their dumb pseudo-intellectual questions are not relevant to the real world or exams because they just don't know any better or appreciate esoteric garbage. Anyone who worked in healthcare prior to school can see just how out of touch PhDs are with medicine when they write cases or speak about real life applications/examples of some basic science activities.

I think you would be hard-pressed to find people who have graduated medical school that don't think at least some in-class, active learning situations are necessary. That does not mean that most of them aren't useless or poorly schedule. First year, there were definitely month long stretches were I was at school every day for probably 2 hours max because of bad planning. The problem is that when 100 different things are careless or unlucky, or "just the way it is" that isn't a coincidence. That is malicious.

I feel your frustration. My school has these extra clicker quizzes in lectures that can literally push 4-5% up or down based on your real percentage. I used to get really pissed about being average or below average despite scoring above average on test scores. I learned not to gaf as board time looms closer.

Just focus on getting 80%+ and dedicate your time to board. Make sure to pay attention to MD/DO lectures in class bc there are a bunch of stuff on the USMLE that aren't covered by UW or typically board prep materials. These quests separate the 220s-230s from the 240s-260s. Don't listen to a-holes saying that a certain subject isn't high yield. That's complete bull.

I feel your frustration. My school has these extra clicker quizzes in lectures that can literally push 4-5% up or down based on your real percentage. I used to get really pissed about being average or below average despite scoring above average on test scores. I learned not to gaf as board time looms closer.

Just focus on getting 80%+ and dedicate your time to board. Make sure to pay attention to MD/DO lectures in class bc there are a bunch of stuff on the USMLE that aren't covered by UW or typically board prep materials. These quests separate the 220s-230s from the 240s-260s. Don't listen to a-holes saying that a certain subject isn't high yield. That's complete bull.
Eh, it wouldn't bother me as much if I didn't know that it probably keeps me just off the top grouping. I started day one knowing that grades didn't matter beyond how they reflected on my long term retention for step one 2 years later.

I also feel like life, and SDN, is filled with people that don't understand that it's not wrong to want to make shortcomings of school better even if things are "good enough" right now. IDGAF if someone thinks I'm a complainer for that. I see obvious deficiencies that can and should be fixed and aren't for bad reasons. That makes me a DO hater. Oh well. The rest of my life is fantastic.

Reactions: 4 users
The research is so good its
Quite well, but that's because of me, not the school. I thankfully caught on very early that the school wasn't going to prepare me for boards, so I took the necessary precautions from the very beginning unlike many other students who realized it much later but was too late for some of them, as reflected by their board scores.

No medical school has the ideal curriculum. Medical school is what you make of it. Instructors can't spoon feed everything to you, there isn't enough lecture time. You found this out early and took control of your destiny. If only all of my students could read your post. Congratulations on your success. Best wishes and good luck with your future succes!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also feel like life, and SDN, is filled with people that don't understand that it's not wrong to want to make shortcomings of school better even if things are "good enough" right now. IDGAF if someone thinks I'm a complainer for that. I see obvious deficiencies that can and should be fixed and aren't for bad reasons. That makes me a DO hater. Oh well. The rest of my life is fantastic.

This.

Yeah, I was proud of my class a few months ago when an AOA cheerleader alumnus (good guy, but he is truly an AOA lifer) came on our class page and tried to get people to give their COMLEX success story. Even the biggest OMM/AOA fans in my class and people who took only COMLEX called him out on that BS and told him the AOA’s push for COMLEX only was screwing over students.

No medical school has the ideal curriculum. Medical school is what you make of it. Instructors can't spoon feed everything to you, there isn't enough lecture time. You found this out early and took control of your destiny. If only all of my students could read your post. Congratulations on your success. Best wishes and good luck with your future succes!

I have to clarify on something. Yes, I completely agree with you that your success as a physician depends on your own drive and initiatives. However, I think you're misunderstanding something. The fact that you said instructors can't spoon feed everything or that there isn't enough lecture time, you might be thinking that's not my school's fault and that they are trying their best to help their students with whatever limited resources they have. Let me just reiterate: Forget about not having enough lecture time. My school is INTENTIONALLY not preparing students for boards, and they are INTENTIONALLY misguiding students with so many misinformation that it's not even funny. And there is nothing wrong with complaining about that and letting people who thought this school was good finally come to the realization that maybe the school is not as good as everybody thinks it is. Plus if there are any administrators wannabes on this site, perhaps they can read this topic and see what to do and what not to do in terms of how to not suck at running a medical school. That's why I see a value in this topic.

I have to clarify on something. Yes, I completely agree with you that your success as a physician depends on your own drive and initiatives. However, I think you're misunderstanding something. The fact that you said instructors can't spoon feed everything or that there isn't enough lecture time, you might be thinking that's not my school's fault and that they are trying their best to help their students with whatever limited resources they have. Let me just reiterate: Forget about not having enough lecture time. My school is INTENTIONALLY not preparing students for boards, and they are INTENTIONALLY misguiding students with so many misinformation that it's not even funny. And there is nothing wrong with complaining about that and letting people who thought this school was good finally come to the realization that maybe the school is not as good as everybody thinks it is. Plus if there are any administrators wannabes on this site, perhaps they can read this topic and see what to do and what not to do in terms of how to not suck at running a medical school. That's why I see a value in this topic.
I'm sorry that's your experience/perception. I can't speak for your school, but mine is up front about recommending some students not take step 1.. Despite what you describe, you have done a good job preparing for boards and this should pay off during residency applications. I can't imagine a school purposefully misleading students, they are in fact the schools product. The schools success is directly related to the success of their students . You appear to have the insight and tools to be successful, despite what you describe as mismanagement. Good luck and best wishes

I'm sorry that's your experience/perception. I can't speak for your school, but mine is up front about recommending some students not take step 1.. Despite what you describe, you have done a good job preparing for boards and this should pay off during residency applications. I can't imagine a school purposefully misleading students, they are in fact the schools product. The schools success is directly related to the success of their students . You appear to have the insight and tools to be successful, despite what you describe as mismanagement. Good luck and best wishes
And yet here I am at a school that would rather tank a student's chance at matching high for missing a few classes or not letting people off easily for interviews and a number of other policies that directly negatively impact a student matching to their true level. I have been bewildered by the lack of perspective for a while now. The school looks good when the students are given the chance to fly.

Reactions: 5 users
Based upon what I've seen at a number of DO schools, I think it is simply DO administrator ignorance, instead of them purposely misleading students. But unfortunately the results are the same.

Based upon what I've seen at a number of DO schools, I think it is simply DO administrator ignorance, instead of them purposely misleading students. But unfortunately the results are the same.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Reactions: 8 users
I can't imagine a school purposefully misleading students, they are in fact the schools product. The schools success is directly related to the success of their students .

When the state government gives you kickbacks for sending more students into primary care over any competitive specialties, this then makes it very easy for me to imagine a school doing that. Thus, the school's success is directly related to the success of their agenda, not students.

When the state government gives you kickbacks for sending more students into primary care over any competitive specialties, this then makes it very easy for me to imagine a school doing that. Thus, the school's success is directly related to the success of their agenda, not students.
I don't know why this has to be repeated over and over, but it should not be a surprise to students that the mission of most DO schools, and the AOA as well is to train Primary Care docs.

I don't know why this has to be repeated over and over, but it should not be a surprise to students that the mission of most DO schools, and the AOA as well is to train Primary Care docs.

Oh I didn't say that because I didn't know about it and needed you to repeat it.

If the main focus of the school is to get students into primary care, at least admit it already instead of admitting that it's not their mission. My gripe is that the school is feigning ignorance.

Oh I didn't say that because I didn't know about it and needed you to repeat it.

If the main focus of the school is to get students into primary care, at least admit it already instead of admitting that it's not their mission. My gripe is that the school is feigning ignorance.
You have my sympathies.

If you entered an osteopathic school not knowing the vast majority of the graduates go into primary care areas, FM,IM,PEDS,OB, then you didn't do much research before applying. Just because most DO grads enter primary care doesn't mean it's the schools mission to send everyone into primary care. Their mission is to train caring, competent osteopathic physicians. You are free to enter any specialty you choose, and you will be well prepared.

If you entered an osteopathic school not knowing the vast majority of the graduates go into primary care areas, FM,IM,PEDS,OB, then you didn't do much research before applying. Just because most DO grads enter primary care doesn't mean it's the schools mission to send everyone into primary care. Their mission is to train caring, competent osteopathic physicians. You are free to enter any specialty you choose, and you will be well prepared.

Rofl to DO schools wanting to send people to ObGyb. I think they’re more interested in training FM docs in the middle of nowhere hospitals with 50 beds.

Strange that you mention about their mission wanting to train caring, competent osteopathic physicians. That’s a great laugh right there.

Just talked to my IM preceptor about his training at a major academic place in the Midwest. He’s currently taking me and also training 1 or 2 residents on some days. The DO resident with us is amazed at the level of his training from his stories.

Can you please stop lying to all the pre-meds that will be reading your posts?

The undertone to his post is that you are also free to study your butt off for the USMLE, track down extensive research, and network until you know everyone on the planet. The people who are really interested in high-barrier specialties seem to understand that. The rest just like to talk and will end up as a PCP. As for well prepared? Residency actually teaches you to be a doctor, so having a degree is 'well prepared.'

Reactions: 7 users
The undertone to his post is that you are also free to study your butt off for the USMLE, track down extensive research, and network until you know everyone on the planet. The people who are really interested in high-barrier specialties seem to understand that. The rest just like to talk and will end up as a PCP. As for well prepared? Residency actually teaches you to be a doctor, so having a degree is 'well prepared.'

False

Having a degree means that you have a baseline that you won’t likely kill people

Being well prepared is up to the strength of your training, or your hard work to self improve yourself if you come from a poor training residency

You will see it eventually

False

Having a degree means that you have a baseline that you won’t likely kill people...

Yeah, I'm going to say that's not really accurate either. I would say having at least 1 year of OK GME does that (gives you a baseline that you won't likely kill people). Med school does not do that for you, it just gives you a base on knowledge from which you can develop the skill of not likely killing people.

Reassuring isn't it? As an intern, you absolutely have a decent chance of killing someone if left completely unsupervised. Its why we're so closely monitored as interns, especially July interns.

Are there any NYITCOM AR students that want to share their experience?

Are there any NYITCOM AR students that want to share their experience?

I'm at the NY campus but from what I've heard, the AR students are forced to attend a lot more mandatory sessions than we are. They don't like it, obviously.

For all the pissing and moaning about pseudoscience in this and other threads by the self-hating DO students, my OMM/OMT colleagues sure know how to fix me! Yee-hah for those muscle energy techniques!

In that case, we should also praise homeopathy and naturopathy and chiropractic, since there are so many people that claim to be fixed by them.

Your NP provider can help you with some OMM.

I go to the local witch-doctor for cranial. I can recommend for any and all illnesses.

Last edited:
In that case, we should also praise homeopathy and naturopathy and chiropractic, since there are so many people that claim to be fixed by them.
However poor the studies, the unproved claims of osteopathy have a better scientific footing than those of honest-to-god pseudoscience.

Why don't you just drop out and go to a Caribbean School? Get your precious MD and you won't have to deal with the pseudoscience of osteopathy.

You made your bed, now lie in it.

Unless you can show us the photo of the gun that was put to your head that forced you to go to a DO School?

• Angry
Reactions: 7 users
However poor the studies, the unproved claims of osteopathy have a better scientific footing than those of honest-to-god pseudoscience.

Why don't you just drop out and go to a Caribbean School? Get your precious MD and you won't have to deal with the pseudoscience of osteopathy.

You made your bed, now lie in it.

Unless you can show us the photo of the gun that was put to your head that forced you to go to a DO School?

Classic.

I’m right there with you on some topics of OMM. Cranial in adults and Chapman’s points... yeah it’ll take more evidence to make me a believer. But ME and associated techniques is an easy way to instantly make someone feel better. I don’t see how is this a bad thing and it’s something I can get behind.