Pros and Cons of your DO School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah well at some point the reasonable response to your repeated self-hatred is bound to become "classic"... I guess, per your judgement, we are there.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I’m right there with you on some topics of OMM. Cranial in adults and Chapman’s points... yeah it’ll take more evidence to make me a believer. But ME and associated techniques is an easy way to instantly make someone feel better. I don’t see how is this a bad thing and it’s something I can get behind.
Agree 100%. Those cranial bones sure do NOT move, but there might be some therapeutic benefit in the technique, somewhere.

As for Chapman's points, when they can show me them on a histology slide, then I'll accept that they exist. I put them in the same boat as acupuncture meridians.

All I ask of my students, and you all, is to simply suspend your disbelief, and see if you can learn something useful. Otherwise, just consider OMM/OMT to be the price to pay to be a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
However poor the studies, the unproved claims of osteopathy have a better scientific footing than those of honest-to-god pseudoscience.

Why don't you just drop out and go to a Caribbean School? Get your precious MD and you won't have to deal with the pseudoscience of osteopathy.

You made your bed, now lie in it.

Unless you can show us the photo of the gun that was put to your head that forced you to go to a DO School?
Id like to respectfully add thay chiropractors use the same techniques they just call them different names. muscle energy is basically PIR/active release technique, also both chiro and OMM use HVLA. the same Physiological responses are occuring in both OMM and chiro manipulation/soft tissue so not sure what it means to say OMM/osteopathy has a better scientific footing. Current DO education as a whole has a better scientific footing because it is medical school. As a DO student and a former chiropractor i can honestly say the functional anatomy and physiological processes of both OMM and chiro are strikingly similar yet the two professions still fight. DOs however are physicians. chiropractors arent. if were talking strictly omm/osteopathy theres little difference and its difficult to place them in different categories

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Id like to respectfully add thay chiropractors use the same techniques they just call them different names. muscle energy is basically PIR/active release technique, also both chiro and OMM use HVLA. the same Physiological responses are occuring in both OMM and chiro manipulation/soft tissue so not sure what it means to say OMM/osteopathy has a better scientific footing. Current DO education as a whole has a better scientific footing because it is medical school. As a DO student and a former chiropractor i can honestly say the functional anatomy and physiological processes of both OMM and chiro are strikingly similar yet the two professions still fight. DOs however are physicians. chiropractors arent. if were talking strictly omm/osteopathy theres little difference and its difficult to place them in different categories
Chiros are nowhere near equivalent what are you saying...theres a reason they aren't physicians

Reactions: 1 user
Chiros are nowhere near equivalent what are you saying...theres a reason they aren't physicians

Yeah... the difference is that DO goes beyond OMM into more traditional medicine. He only said the OMM training was similar to a DC, not the degree at large.

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah... the difference is that DO goes beyond OMM into more traditional medicine. He only said the OMM training was similar to a DC, not the degree at large.
You’re right my bad haha I’m sleep deprived

Remember Dr Palmer was a student of AT Still.

Cons: Everything.

Pros: Only a year and a half left.

lol

Reactions: 7 users
You need to make a twitter account haha.

I don't think the world is ready my friend.

I need to get my goddamn degree first and I promise you I will write the most god awful, nastiest review of my goddamn program on this website and then I will forever retire from SDN like the greats.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Except I’ve never been approached in a shopping mall by a D.O. with a supposed spinal alignment gun. Or been told that if my somatic nervous system was in alignment then I wouldn’t suffer untold afflictions and maladies.

The professions still fight because chiropractors try to masquerade as physicians. How many blogs and YouTube videos are there by alternative health professionals calling themselves “doctor” but when you search their credentials they hide their chiropractic degree or refer to themselves as “chiropractic physicians” in the more forthcoming cases.

Reactions: 3 users
Except I’ve never been approached in a shopping mall by a D.O. with a supposed spinal alignment gun. Or been told that if my somatic nervous system was in alignment then I wouldn’t suffer untold afflictions and maladies.

The professions still fight because chiropractors try to masquerade as physicians. How many blogs and YouTube videos are there by alternative health professionals calling themselves “doctor” but when you search their credentials they hide their chiropractic degree or refer to themselves as “chiropractic physicians” in the more forthcoming cases.
You arent wrong. im simply stating its the same stuff-OMM in and of itself and chiro (the soft tissue and HVLA manipulations and functional anatomy etc). The actual medical science isnt nearly comparable, just the osteopathic part as stated in previous posts. I was a chiro and now a medical student at DO school so Ive seen both sides here. And you cant say that DOs who practice OMM dont claim that adjustments can fix visceral disorders this is stated on the AOA website lol. I dont believe it but the minority of DOs that did an OMM fellowship teach this stuff so its not just chiros. I would never ever suggest someone become a chiropractor. ever. theyre in for a terrible future the profession isnt going to last if they dont change their philosophy which is one of many reasons i left to become an actual physician

I need to get my goddamn degree first and I promise you I will write the most god awful, nastiest review of my goddamn program on this website and then I will forever retire from SDN like the greats.
#Coming2020

Can't wait

same more than likely

Chiros are hit or miss, a lot of them tuck themselves deep into pseudoscience and think they are more important than they are.

But I would probably be depressed too if there were a bunch of real doctors running around and I was a chiro

Reactions: 2 users
Chiros are hit or miss, a lot of them tuck themselves deep into pseudoscience and think they are more important than they are.

But I would probably be depressed too if there were a bunch of real doctors running around and I was a chiro
A lot of chiros have no clue what they are doing. Some good ones some bad ones. They are good for relief of non-surgical low back pain only but that is about it. Efficacy hasn't shown to be any more effective than PT, just like OMM. PT just takes longer. OMM/chiro same thing (no this statement does not mean I am comparing DOs and chiros saying they are the same thing because a) the term OMM and the term DO are not one and the same b) chiros and DOs are the furthest from the same thing and c) i know someone will misconstrue this statement as me saying such. DOs are physicians, chiros are NOT physicians or "chiropractic physicians" whatever that word means. There is only ONE kind of physician: an MD or a DO, and maybe a DPM.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Chiros are a joke to much of the public. Real danger is midlevel encroachment where people actually think FNPs know things

Unless you can show us the photo of the gun that was put to your head that forced you to go to a DO School?

Same gun that's pointed at her head ;)

mqdefault.jpg

However poor the studies, the unproved claims of osteopathy have a better scientific footing than those of honest-to-god pseudoscience.

Why don't you just drop out and go to a Caribbean School? Get your precious MD and you won't have to deal with the pseudoscience of osteopathy.

You made your bed, now lie in it.

OOOOO been on SDN a while and have seen Goro’s posts, this was the best yet LOLOL

This is just word of mouth, but it was from a current chiro student. He said something to the affect of “the old-timer chiros legit have no idea what they are doing & give the modern chiros a bad name. The students being educated at the schools nowadays aren’t being taught all the quackery that the older chiros were taught/practice nowadays.”

Just an anecdote but that’s all I got.

This is just word of mouth, but it was from a current chiro student. He said something to the affect of “the old-timer chiros legit have no idea what they are doing & give the modern chiros a bad name. The students being educated at the schools nowadays aren’t being taught all the quackery that the older chiros were taught/practice nowadays.”

Just an anecdote but that’s all I got.
Thats like what we say about OMM, and we are still taught it. Also they had alot more quackery to start with. Note that all Chiropratic schools are against all vaccines.

Thats like what we say about OMM, and we are still taught it. Also they had alot more quackery to start with. Note that all Chiropratic schools are against all vaccines.

At least OMM is a chance to re-emphasize knowledge about anatomy, nervous system, and biomechanics. It helps a lot with understanding orthopedic complaints, even if you don't use actual techniques to solve the problem. Obviously I mean with like the actual effective elements of OMM such as muscle energy and myofascial, not Chapman's points and Cranial BS. I only say the other ones are effective because as a weight lifter I've had a ton of relief with them personally. But it's basically not anything an Athletic Trainer wouldn't understand basically, just not as in depth with the physiology behind it

Wait... if the above/bolded/red true?!..... I'm tired; my sarcasm sensor is offline currently.

Wait... if the above/bolded/red true?!..... I'm tired; my sarcasm sensor is offline currently.
I have an aquaintance who is currently in chiropractic school and they teach that vaccines are part of the “dogma” that modern physicians adhere to simply because they are told to and that vaccines have never been proven to actually prevent disease.

I have an aquaintance who is currently in chiropractic school and they teach that vaccines are part of the “dogma” that modern physicians adhere to simply because they are told to and that vaccines have never been proven to actually prevent disease.

Wow.

can anyone do one for LECOM-SH? heard it's decent besides from the required dress code/no food and water which i dont really mind

can anyone do one for LECOM-SH? heard it's decent besides from the required dress code/no food and water which i dont really mind
Pro: Seton Hill University looks like Hogwarts

Lol wtf

About to forward this to a family friend who switched from pre-med to pre-chiro this year

lol has to be more than that

they seem to have fairly good rotations that are guaranteed for third years and PBL means less time in lectures and more free time to study for boards of which they score fairly well on. plus mad cheap tuition

they seem to have fairly good rotations that are guaranteed for third years and PBL means less time in lectures and more free time to study for boards of which they score fairly well on. plus mad cheap tuition
Well, I don't go there, but from my impression at interview, it sounds like they don't have any research on campus at all. Pittsburgh is about 1-1.5 hours away too, so interested students would really have to be very proactive in getting opportunities and willing to commute. I guess that's a con.

Pro: They offered me an interview, and have no cadaver lab. Tuition is cheap.
Con: I didn't go cause I had an MD interview which obviously didn't take me, so now I pay 15k more in tuition.

Moral: Always reschedule, never cancel interviews.

If Campbell is not mandatory attendance for traditional then PBL is actually a trick they make it seem like you have less class but in actuality you spend more time in class than traditional because trad you never have to go at all you can just watch lectures so you actually have more freedom with your schedule. My roommate is PBL but hes up at 730am 4 days a week for class while I get to sleep till 10am every morning. The schools dont tell you this but after you do your research youre like wait a minute....

Last edited:
If Campbell is not mandatory attendance for traditional then PBL is actually a trick they make it seem like you have less class but in actuality you spend more time in class than traditional because trad you never have to go at all you can just watch lectures so you actually have more freedom with your schedule. My roommate is PBL but hes up at 730am 4 days a week for class while I get to sleep till 10am every morning. The schools dont tell you this but after you do your research youre like wait a minute....

really? heard that after the first fall semester the free time really starts to flow for LECOM-SH students

Pro: They offered me an interview, and have no cadaver lab. Tuition is cheap.
Con: I didn't go cause I had an MD interview which obviously didn't take me, so now I pay 15k more in tuition.

Moral: Always reschedule, never cancel interviews.
no cadaver lab is a pro? is it because it saves you some time or something?

no cadaver lab is a pro? is it because it saves you some time or something?
Dude cavader lab sucks haha I never go it doesnt help me and is a huge time eater. You can do well just studying on own and then getting a tutor before the practicals. So yes its a pro to not have mandatory cadaver lab

Last edited:

There's a lot of pros and some cons. When I get a chance, I'll actually do a write up.

Well, I don't go there, but from my impression at interview, it sounds like they don't have any research on campus at all. Pittsburgh is about 1-1.5 hours away too, so interested students would really have to be very proactive in getting opportunities and willing to commute. I guess that's a con.

Pittsburgh is 45 min away, not 1-1.5 hrs. Agree that you have to be proactive, and for those that were, they had plenty of research opportunities. Some of them worked in labs and those involved in community health even participated in the Schweitzer fellowship. I mainly did research in 3rd/4th that nice, fast, and purely clinical, so that was useful, but the school itself does not offer you much in this regard.

There's a lot of pros and some cons. When I get a chance, I'll actually do a write up.

Pittsburgh is 45 min away, not 1-1.5 hrs. Agree that you have to be proactive, and for those that were, they had plenty of research opportunities. Some of them worked in labs and those involved in community health even participated in the Schweitzer fellowship. I mainly did research in 3rd/4th that nice, fast, and purely clinical, so that was useful, but the school itself does not offer you much in this regard.

a write-up would be great! thanks!

Confirmed true. Dated a chiro student for a little bit at one point.

Was not my proudest moment but getting my back cracked on the regular >>>>

You was cracking that back too tho amirite????

;)

Reactions: 6 users

Can confirm LECOM - SH is indeed Hogwarts School of Witchcraft (cranial) & (bone-)Wizardry

Interview in September/October if you can the leaves on the trees look insane from towers of Hogwarts.

really? heard that after the first fall semester the free time really starts to flow for LECOM-SH students

a write-up would be great! thanks!

Pros:
-more free time in PBL curriculum, enabling you to decide how you study (using board resources from day 1 of week 13 of year 1, after the intensive anatomy classes are over)
-some PBL facilitators are great
- USMLE step 1 will be required for current first years and presumably future first years (the admin isn't completely blind to the future)
-tuition is ~20k cheaper than most other private DO schools
-rotating with residents is more consistent/possible than many other DO programs
-less administration breathing down your neck on the SH campus
-you really don't have to spend much time in dress code (it's not as bad as people think)
-there's this heavenly time each block, after you've finished all the cases for the block, where you get all of M, W, F off to study for at least a couple weeks for the PBL exam, with most facilitators (some finish at different paces)
-SH campus can be pretty
-good COMLEX scores
-the subset (in the past, good students) of students that took USMLE in recent years performed about average, on average

Cons:
-you generally have to come to campus for some BS stuff more than you'd like (often on campus 4-5 days a week, but this drops off each block after all cases are finished)
-some PBL facilitators are not good. There's one that tends to use all of the block to go through the cases, so you're in dress code and on campus with none of that heavenly time to study
-admins are generally unreasonable (no water in lecture hall, etc.)
-the main OPP prof, and OPP in general (the prof makes it much much worse than it needs to be. Apparently the Bradenton OPP prof is much better)
-LECOM does not pay for rotation sites, so there is some undue fluctuation and drop in rotation quality associated with this
-Several other faculty members are incompetent and you have to deal with it

Overall very happy to be here- many of the cons are not unique to this program. I would think it's reasonable to choose this campus over most other DO programs, except for the older Texas DO program(s?), most of the state schools (out of state WVSOM is a tougher decision due to the price), maybe RVU-CO, ATSU-KCOM, KCU-COM, PCOM-PA. But that's just, like, my opinion.

Pros:

Cons:
-LECOM does not pay for rotation sites, so there is some undue fluctuation and drop in rotation quality associated with this
-Several other faculty members are incompetent and you have to deal with it

Overall very happy to be here- many of the cons are not unique to this program. I would think it's reasonable to choose this campus over most other DO programs, except for the older Texas DO program(s?), most of the state schools (out of state WVSOM is a tougher decision due to the price), maybe RVU-CO, ATSU-KCOM, KCU-COM, PCOM-PA. But that's just, like, my opinion.

Isn't the rotation system kind of based on luck so you could get really good rotation sites or really bad ones? (unless have above a 3.0 or something like that?)

Don't all schools have some faculty members that are incompetent?

And yeah I feel like overall this is a good DO school that is up there with its peers. Feel like it just gets a lot of heat because of the weird rules. The dress code shouldn't be a big deal to most med students I feel. If they could only start allowing water and coffee in the lectures hall man

Isn't the rotation system kind of based on luck so you could get really good rotation sites or really bad ones? (unless have above a 3.0 or something like that?)

Don't all schools have some faculty members that are incompetent?

And yeah I feel like overall this is a good DO school that is up there with its peers. Feel like it just gets a lot of heat because of the weird rules. The dress code shouldn't be a big deal to most med students I feel. If they could only start allowing water and coffee in the lectures hall man
You aren’t allowed even water in the lecture hall? Gracious sakes...

Gonna chime in that Nova has piss poor pass rates right now, but that’s because they don’t hold people back from taking a crack at boards. Also Broward General and Mt Sinai are LEGIT places to rotate. You’ll see and do EVERYTHING rotating at either place. They have many other good sites, but those are by far the best in terms of raw medical experience.