Pros and Cons on Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_Optics_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying to four optometry schools (ICO, PCO, SCO, and SCCO) and wanted to start thinking of where I would personally rank them so that I can make a decision if accepted to more than one school. I understand that the best way is to visit these schools and learn but it never hurts to do some more research :)

I have seen a few threads regarding opinions about school reputation, rank, etc. but they didn't really seem to answer my questions in particular and/or were fairly old. I was wondering if there are some current students or recent graduates of these schools who would share some of their opinions on their experiences there. There are certain things I would like to know about such as opinions on clinical experience, location (do they offer dorms, typical distance for apartments, need a car, safety, etc.) but any input would be highly appreciated!

As a side note (I'm not sure if this really warrants a new thread), I just received my first interview offer at SCO. Is the format still the same - closed file interview with a faculty member, meetings and tours, and then an open file interview? I've seen this addressed in a few threads but they were old threads and didn't know if things changed. Again, any input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, congratulations on your interview offer. I am about to enter my first year at SCO, so I don't think I'll be much help to you on disseminating between the schools. However, I can talk about the interview. I had a morning interview, which started with a closed file interview that lasts as long as you feel like talking. If you have seen other reviews about SCO's interviewing process, it is a low-stress interview that feels more like a conversation than an actual interview. I would recommend not only presenting yourself in a good light, but also relaxing and allowing the conversation to flow. Of course, that could depend on the interviewer, but I have rarely heard of a strict interviewer at SCO. Also, have a few questions in mind, specifically those that pertain to the field of optometry. These could be great talking points for your interview.

Afterwards, you have the "open file interview," in which one of the admissions staff reviews the courses you took during undergrad and your OptomCas. They will give you an opportunity to ask questions; have at least three questions about the school ready. Also, make sure to print off your application, or at least look at it, the night before the interview so you can refresh yourself on what you put on it. After this, the rest is downhill with tours, meetings, and lunch. If you have an afternoon interview, lunch will be first, followed by the interviews.

If you have any more questions about interviews at SCO, let me know. I hope this helps you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, congratulations on your interview offer. I am about to enter my first year at SCO, so I don't think I'll be much help to you on disseminating between the schools. However, I can talk about the interview. I had a morning interview, which started with a closed file interview that lasts as long as you feel like talking. If you have seen other reviews about SCO's interviewing process, it is a low-stress interview that feels more like a conversation than an actual interview. I would recommend not only presenting yourself in a good light, but also relaxing and allowing the conversation to flow. Of course, that could depend on the interviewer, but I have rarely heard of a strict interviewer at SCO. Also, have a few questions in mind, specifically those that pertain to the field of optometry. These could be great talking points for your interview.

Afterwards, you have the "open file interview," in which one of the admissions staff reviews the courses you took during undergrad and your OptomCas. They will give you an opportunity to ask questions; have at least three questions about the school ready. Also, make sure to print off your application, or at least look at it, the night before the interview so you can refresh yourself on what you put on it. After this, the rest is downhill with tours, meetings, and lunch. If you have an afternoon interview, lunch will be first, followed by the interviews.

If you have any more questions about interviews at SCO, let me know. I hope this helps you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, thank you for the information! I did read about that before but wasn't sure if that was still the format. I feel better about it now :) I may just take you up on your offer about asking questions about SCO!

Also, just got offered an interview from PCO and supplemental application from ICO today :D

Hey, thank you for the information! I did read about that before but wasn't sure if that was still the format. I feel better about it now :) I may just take you up on your offer about asking questions about SCO!

Also, just got offered an interview from PCO and supplemental application from ICO today :D

Can you tell me what the supplemental application from ICO consists of? I'm also applying there.