Prospective Dental Student Needs Help with SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhu2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, my name is James, 25, graduated from UW- Madison with a BS in genetics. After graduation, I traveled a bit, worked for a year and then started the application process for dental school.

I recently applied for dental school and I got all of my information in in the first cycle, pretty much the first day it opened. I applied to 9 different schools and sent in all of their respective secondaries and fees very promptly. As of right now, I got one rejection and still need to hear back from the other 8 schools.

Here are my stats:
3.2 cGPA 3.0 sGPA
Dat scores:
PA: 22 QR: 19
RC: 22 Bio: 18
GC: 20 OC: 19
TS: 19 AA: 20

I have plenty of shadowing hours and I'm sure my recommendations/essays were up to par. I know that my gpa is a little low so I want to try to get it up with a SMP before next time I apply.

Being new to the SMP scene, I have a few questions regarding these programs. Are there any particular SMP's more geared towards dental students? Or are they all pretty much the same? With my stats, how are my chances of getting into lets say Midwesterns or BU's? When should I start applying to these programs if I want to start this coming fall? And is there anywhere you guys can point me to more information regarding all the smp's in the states? The forums have been great so far but it's a bit scattered.

I really appreciate it guys, any help I can get. I just got my first rejection letter today and I'm starting to freak out. Thanks so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.