Nov 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
So I'm studying for my chem I final and I ran across a question that is asking about acidity:

Which Brønsted acid (HCl (aq) or H2S (aq)) is the stronger acid and why is it the stronger acid?

Answer:

HCl is the stronger acid because chlorine has a greater electronegativity than sulfur, which gives the attached hydrogen atom more proton character.

I'm not understanding the reference to proton character. I have searched the internet and found nothing that talks to this nor can I find anything in my notes or textbook.

Can any of you enlighten me on proton character in this context?

Appreciate it!

jvesco22

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2009
Status
This thread has been reported by several members due to statements about homework and finals. SDN takes such statements seriously and we would like to remind all posters that SDN should not serve as a place to obtain tuotring or other advice regarding significant homework issues. Anyone who is contemplating failing should immediately seek professional tutoring advice, not rely on SDN or other non-professional resources.

At this time, given the nature of the thread and the concerns expressed, SDN will close this thread. (not srs)

But your thread will get locked! Peace.

Hah

7+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2009
Status
Proton character just means that the hydrogen will have less electrons in its cloud because the chlorine is pulling the electrons being shared between the HCL more closely to itself. Therefore, hydrogen will have more "proton character" because it has a partial positive dipole due to its lack of access to the electrons being shared. Less electrons = more proton character. So in more lamens term its basically the proton is no longer being negated by the presence of an electron so the hydrogen has more proton character. That's why when HCL dissociates its H+ and Cl-. Proton character is really just terminology to indicate that an atom has less electrons than protons.

PS- this thread won't get locked it'll just get moved to the MCAT question forum probably ^_^

solo75

7+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2010
Texas
Status
Medical Student
How about HCl, because it is one of the 7 strong acids and H2S is not :rolleyes:

ReptarBar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
are you kidding me? you can't even answer a question that deals with literally the most fundamental thing about acid/base chemistry?

Hah

7+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2009
Status
So many people on this forum are so angry and jaded... Every thread I read someone always has to berate the thread/OP or mention the words stupid/ridiculus/ or my favorite TROLL! :lame:

solo75

7+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2010
Texas
Status
Medical Student
So many people on this forum are so angry and jaded... Every thread I read someone always has to berate the thread/OP or mention the words stupid/ridiculus/ or my favorite TROLL! :lame:
Go ahead, try to be that helpful voice of reason... You won't last long

ILikeDrugs

pre-attending
10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2008
L.A.
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
The chlorine yanks on the hydrogens electron. The hydrogen, feeling sad due to being abandoned by the electrons, says screw you guys, I'm going home. The end.

Nov 1, 2010
MN
Status
Pre-Medical
It's easier to explain in terms of acid/base chemistry that you'll learn in organic. In this exacmple, HCL is more acidic than H2S because of the greater electronegativity on the CL atom. Since an acid is "proton donating", giving off the H, the atom it's bonded to (CL or S) takes on a negative charge when the H leaves. The more electronegative the atom, the greater affinity it has for electrons/negative charges, and the more stable the atom will be with a negative charge. Since CL is more electronegative, it's more stable with the negative charge, and therefore will more readily donate protons, making it the more acidic acid.

Or, you can just remember that HCl is a strong acid that you will come across many, many times in chemistry.

PreMedder

7+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical

Venc

5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2010
N/A
Status
Pre-Medical
So I'm studying for my chem I final and I ran across a question that is asking about acidity:

Which Brønsted acid (HCl (aq) or H2S (aq)) is the stronger acid and why is it the stronger acid?

Answer:

HCl is the stronger acid because chlorine has a greater electronegativity than sulfur, which gives the attached hydrogen atom more proton character.

I'm not understanding the reference to proton character. I have searched the internet and found nothing that talks to this nor can I find anything in my notes or textbook.

Can any of you enlighten me on proton character in this context?

Appreciate it!
Proton = +

Cl more electronegative pulls the electrons much more strongly towards it, making the H atom more positive. I guess that is what they refer to the proton character