PS Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoilerWolverine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am writing my personal statement and am trying to decide whether a certain phrase is too over the top or innapropriate. As a kid, I used to go into the hospital with my mom and I guess one time I saw a chest x-ray that I described as a "skeleton with boobies." Is this too much? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, I don't know. It's a cute story, but it might make somebody raise an eyebrow. Definitely use with caution.

Wow, I don't know. It's a cute story, but it might make somebody raise an eyebrow. Definitely use with caution.

You even post like Jim Halpert would! :laugh: "Wow..."

But yah OP, it is a cute/funny story but I think it might be a little inappropriate for your personal statement. Then again, we haven't seen the context of the statement... so maybe you've made it fit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is the paragraph I was working on...

My mother is a doctor. It is true that I thrive on working with people and am deeply involved in science every day. However, despite the excitement of my childhood call shifts with my radiologist Mom, and observing what I so eloquently described as the “skeleton with boobies” (a female chest x-ray), only recently did my focus become medicine.

Cute to hear a kid say. Not cute to read in the PS of an applicant. Just my opinion.

i'd suggest against using it...you want whatever the "wow factor" in your ps is to be focus on an intermediate party...like in my personal statement i quoted this outlandish comment that my grandma's doctor once said to me..

that way, you'll get the readers attention on your message without drawing negative attention to yourself...you draw any negative attention to this third party (ie the doctor making the crazy statement) and keep yourself in a positive light...quoting yourself talking about "a skeleton with boobies" won't make the adcom thing good things about you, it makes you seem unintelligent (even though you were just a little kid when you said it)

i'd suggest against using it...you want whatever the "wow factor" in your ps is to be focus on an intermediate party...like in my personal statement i quoted this outlandish comment that my grandma's doctor once said to me..

that way, you'll get the readers attention on your message without drawing negative attention to yourself...you draw any negative attention to this third party (ie the doctor making the crazy statement) and keep yourself in a positive light...quoting yourself talking about "a skeleton with boobies" won't make the adcom thing good things about you, it makes you seem unintelligent (even though you were just a little kid when you said it)

+1

Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.