Question regarding sensitive PS topic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueblewbloo

Reaction score
Would it be appropriate to write about a medical emergency my partner faced and how I was impacted by it as a central part of my personal statement? The nature of the medical emergency absolutely comes with some stigma so I am hesitant to include it. Prior to the medical emergency I was planning on applying to medical school anyway, but this was 100% a specific moment I can point to that solidified my decision. Willing to PM if further details are needed. @Goro @LizzyM

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it’s fine. What’s important is not the details of the problem, but how you felt and what you learned about yourself.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I would recommend using a pseudonym for the person and even using an identifier different that "partner" to make it more anonymized. Do ask your partner if it is okay to use this anecdote as it is their story, too. Also consider whether having a partner who experienced this stigmatizing event in some way tarnishes your reputation and could cause unconscious bias on the part of a reviewer.

Reactions: 6 users
Agree with @LizzyM that you should get permission and make sure you focus on why this experience defines your professional role or choice as a doctor. This would address "appropriate."

You also should be emotionally prepared to discuss this experience when talking to anyone in an interview or beyond. If you are concerned it comes with stigma, you should think carefully about how you would navigate follow-up questions.

Reactions: 4 users