Psych is cool... Now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chibaddie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Recent science major graduate with a passion for the social sciences.

I took an extensive amount of psych/soc courses while in undergrad for pure enjoyment. Now, I'm realizing I may just want to make it my career. I'll be the first to admit my lack of knowledge in this area and am seeking advice in where to even start. My apologies if my search skills are subpar, but I was not able to find a thread that could help me determine whether an MA or MS in Psychology would be a better fit for someone with a science background. Also, what next? What path do individuals typically take after acquiring a master's?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! Recent science major graduate with a passion for the social sciences.

I took an extensive amount of psych/soc courses while in undergrad for pure enjoyment. Now, I'm realizing I may just want to make it my career. I'll be the first to admit my lack of knowledge in this area and am seeking advice in where to even start. My apologies if my search skills are subpar, but I was not able to find a thread that could help me determine whether an MA or MS in Psychology would be a better fit for someone with a science background. Also, what next? What path do individuals typically take after acquiring a master's?
Psychology and sociology are two distinct fields. Sociology being mainly academic whereas psychology can be applied or academic or a mix. Most of the posters on this site are clinical psychologists or students pursuing that so we tend to know a lot about that career path and less about others. MA in psychology can be a relatively useless degree unless it leads to licensure as a counselor of some sort and even then I'm not so sure I'd recommend that. There is also the filed of social work which is closely related and some really enjoy that and it can lead to a lot of different career paths. Spend some time on this board and I'm sure you will find useful info.

Depending on your research and practical interests, I recommend taking a look at community psychology. I was a psych/soc double major in undergrad and found that community psychology took the broad systems-level perspective with a focus on social justice that I was looking for in the field of psychology. I'm in a dual clinical-community psych phd - almost done! - and very happy with my preparation in both. scra27.org is the community psych division of APA. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about community psych. Like mentioned, any master's in psych isn't necessarily particularly useful as they can be rather limiting. You might consider an MSW depending on what career you are considering - perhaps the macro side of things if you are swinging towards your soc classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Psychology and sociology are two distinct fields. Sociology being mainly academic whereas psychology can be applied or academic or a mix. Most of the posters on this site are clinical psychologists or students pursuing that so we tend to know a lot about that career path and less about others. MA in psychology can be a relatively useless degree unless it leads to licensure as a counselor of some sort and even then I'm not so sure I'd recommend that. There is also the filed of social work which is closely related and some really enjoy that and it can lead to a lot of different career paths. Spend some time on this board and I'm sure you will find useful info.

Thanks for your input!

Depending on your research and practical interests, I recommend taking a look at community psychology. I was a psych/soc double major in undergrad and found that community psychology took the broad systems-level perspective with a focus on social justice that I was looking for in the field of psychology. I'm in a dual clinical-community psych phd - almost done! - and very happy with my preparation in both. scra27.org is the community psych division of APA. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about community psych. Like mentioned, any master's in psych isn't necessarily particularly useful as they can be rather limiting. You might consider an MSW depending on what career you are considering - perhaps the macro side of things if you are swinging towards your soc classes.

Thanks, I will definitely look into community psych! Currently leaning towards psych over soc, as I enjoy the focus on the individual more.

I see that you are an MD/PhD student? That is something I have been leaning towards with my science background. Would you mind explaining a bit more about your program and how the timeline looks? Please let me know if you'd rather discuss this over PM.

LPC is licensed professional counselor - you can get this with a MA or MS in psych, but LCSW often do individual work also depending on the setting in which you choose to work. There are social workers in my clinic who see individuals (well, and families, because it's working mostly with kids so parents are necessarily involved as well, but focus is on the individual generally). Sounds like chibaddie has some good recs for you :) Consider what kind of work you want to do (clinical practice? research? both?) if you want to do clinical work you'll need to consider that as only some areas of psychology allow you to get licensed as a practicing psychologist who can bill insurance companies. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
LPC is licensed professional counselor - you can get this with a MA or MS in psych, but LCSW often do individual work also depending on the setting in which you choose to work. There are social workers in my clinic who see individuals (well, and families, because it's working mostly with kids so parents are necessarily involved as well, but focus is on the individual generally). Sounds like chibaddie has some good recs for you :) Consider what kind of work you want to do (clinical practice? research? both?) if you want to do clinical work you'll need to consider that as only some areas of psychology allow you to get licensed as a practicing psychologist who can bill insurance companies. Good luck!
Depending on the state a masters in psychology will not qualify you to be licensed as an LMHC, LPC, etc... so check your state and anywhere you might want to live in the future.

Thanks, I will definitely look into community psych! Currently leaning towards psych over soc, as I enjoy the focus on the individual more.

I see that you are an MD/PhD student? That is something I have been leaning towards with my science background. Would you mind explaining a bit more about your program and how the timeline looks? Please let me know if you'd rather discuss this over PM.

I am actually not joint MD/PhD. My title is wrong on here. I am in a joint clinical-community PhD program. It has taken me 6 to finish (including internship) which is fairly normal in my program. Most take 6 or 7 years. Occasionally someone squeaks out in 5, usually if they come in with a Master's and a good amount of coursework. Sometimes people take longer than 7, but almost always for reasons outside of the program.

Reactions: 1 user
Depending on the state a masters in psychology will not qualify you to be licensed as an LMHC, LPC, etc... so check your state and anywhere you might want to live in the future.

Good call. Thanks!

If you are considering the MD route that is a very different path than psychology or counseling in general. I don't know any joint md/PhD psychology programs anymore. There are md/PhD research oriented degrees. Psychiatry is often very different than many expect as well, these days a lot of med management.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

If you are considering the MD route that is a very different path than psychology or counseling in general. I don't know any joint md/PhD psychology programs anymore. There are md/PhD research oriented degrees. Psychiatry is often very different than many expect as well, these days a lot of med management.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Yes, I have been considering child & adolescent psychiatry for a LONG time until I did more research, (correct me if I'm wrong here) and realized it's mostly prescription. That is why I wanted to know what my options were if I decided not to go to med school.

Yes, I have been considering child & adolescent psychiatry for a LONG time until I did more research, (correct me if I'm wrong here) and realized it's mostly prescription. That is why I wanted to know what my options were if I decided not to go to med school.
It is heavily prescription if you work for someone/an entity. Private practice a bit more freedom but more lives to support/bills so ends up being more prescription.

It is heavily prescription if you work for someone/an entity. Private practice a bit more freedom but more lives to support/bills so ends up being more prescription.

Sad day. What are your plans (seeing as you are a psychologist entering medical school)?