psych/law joint programs/forensic psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KATeye4284

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone was looking at joint programs for psychology and law, or forensic psychology programs. I have one more year of undergrad left, so I'm applying in the fall and there aren't many rankings out there for these programs. I'm just looking to see if anyone knows the reputations of any of them, or has any other advice to offer about them :) Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

KATeye4284 said:
I was wondering if anyone was looking at joint programs for psychology and law, or forensic psychology programs. I have one more year of undergrad left, so I'm applying in the fall and there aren't many rankings out there for these programs. I'm just looking to see if anyone knows the reputations of any of them, or has any other advice to offer about them :) Thanks.

Just off the top of my head, John Jay in NY clearly stands out. I know that if you are a student at Duke Law, you can earn a master's in psych (though my understanding is that it is more of a social psych focus than on clinical). Finally, I'm pretty sure that there is a joint JD/PhD in clinical psych at the University of Arizona (though it may be Arizona State - I'm not 100% certain).

It's University of Arizona that has the JD/PhD program. Also University of Lincoln-Nebraska has one as well. UA and UL-N both have clin psych w/ law. Others that come to mind are Loma Linda University (I believe, though I might be thinking of the PhD-MPH program) and Widener University. Drexel University has a joint JD/PhD with Villanova Law School. University of Florida has a counseling psych PhD in the psychology dept. (rather than the college of education) w/ a joint JD in their school of law.

The best list I've seen so far is at

http://www.ap-ls.org/students/graduateIndex.html

They have the ones I mentioned plus others.

Florida International University has a forensic psychology program, but it is not a clinical/counseling program. In other words, it doesn't prepare you for licensure. They are planning to get a clinical program, but I'm not sure when that's actually going to happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Btw, that should read University of Nebraska-Lincoln and UN-L

I was also looking for those kinds of programs... I am currently getting my master's in criminal justice at John Jay in NYC....but i have my BA in psych and history.....
Does anyone know if there are any PhD (forensic psych) and MLS programs? i saw one a few months ago (can't remember where) but it was removed... I am really interested in the law degree, but I feel like there is so much in the law degree that is irrelevant to forensic/criminal psychology. So i was looking more for a program that is tailored to a forensic psych student's interests...does such a program exist, I wonder?
But ya, from all my research, i see that Nebraska-Lincoln seems to have a very good program, as well as the Alliant University (CA), University of Houston, and Sam Houston State University (texas)...and they are very close to Huntsville Prison, so no shortage of criminals to study....Univ. of Hawaii @ Manoa keeps popping up on my radar...hey, I could think of a few worse places to spend 6 years!
By the way, the John Jay PhD program is supposed to be great. I have heard nothing but good things, and John Jay has an all around VERY prestigious faculty...they pride themselves on it...some of my professors are the people who actually "wrote the book" on their respective topics....tuition is AMAZING for residents...not bad for nonresidents...and hey, it's NYC! but, it's not accredited yet, just be warned...and since it's new, they may still be working out some kinks....but they are also adding a non-practitioner specialty...like for people who are more interested in things like jury selection and eye witness identification...stuff that is not in the clinical field, but isn't research...ya know?

KATeye4284 said:

I just completed my MA in Psychology and intend on focusing on forensics when I enroll in a PsyD this fall. Although this doctoral program does not have a forensic concentration per se, I intend on doing my practicum (sort of a mini- internship), dissertation, and pre-doctoral internship in the forensic psy area. I just worked at a forensic psy center for a year and it is certainly an interesting field. In terms of other programs, you need to first decide if you want a PhD or a Psy D. Phd is more research based and PsyD is more clinical direct practice based. I intend on working directly with the mentally ill and criminally insane, so I opted for the PsyD route. Some other PsyD programs with forensic concentrations are Alliant University (aka Cal School of Professional Psy, Fresno or San Diego campuses), Argosy U- Chicago (Illinois School of Professional Psy, downtown campus). A good combined PsyD / Law program is Widener University in Pennsylvania. As an aside, I would suggest that you get some clinical experience under your belt prior to applying. You should work as a Mental Health Worker at an inpatient setting such as a hospital or rehab, or work at a clinic, even if it is just part time 10 hrs a week. This experience will help bolster your application essay and make your campus interviews easier given that you can refer to your work experience. Good luck. Let me know if you have any other questions.

UNL has a joint clinical PhD and MLS degree that is supposedly pretty good.