Psych licensing in CA versus other states

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProspectivePsyD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please could someone assist with clarification regarding licensure; I was under the impression that all pyschologists (Ph.D.s and Psy.D.s) take the same licensing exam which would allow you to practice in any state. However reading certain threads it seems that in CA, because of the dearth of APA internship sites, if you go to a CAPIC site you might only be able to be licensed in the state of CA, is this true? THank you so much any clarification would be so helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Here is a post I made yesterday that talked a bit about licensure, particularly in CA.....(link to original post)

Some (if not most) states require you to complete an APA-approved internship for licensure; however, this is not a necessary condition in all states (California I believe doesn't require it).

That's incorrect.

I think there are 2-3 states that require it, that may or may not allow for equivalency, which is typically the standard. Going to an APA-accredited internship site is the easiest path to licensure. APPIC is the next. The challenge is showing the state that you received the proper training, and the accreditations help address that issue. Most states have something called equivalency, which allows for the applicant for licensure to show that their training is equivalent and thus can be licensed....though some state boards are stricter than others about documentation, supervision hours, etc. It is best to look at each state's licensing requirements, as they can vary.

Dr. Emil Rodolfa write a good e-mail about this on the APPIC list serv 2 days ago. He is the President-elect of the Association of State and Provincial Psychology Boards, which help determine regulations around the US. I copied part of it below to how that it is rarely cut and dry as people make it seem.

Dr. Emil Rodolfa said:
If you are interested in accruing supervised professional experience
hours in California, there are a number of ways to do so. Check
SECTION II on the CALIFORNIA BOARD OF PSYCHOLOGY SUPERVISION
AGREEMENT FOR SUPERVISED PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE IN HEALTH SERVICES to find all the ways you can accrue experience. In California you do not have to complete an internship to become licensed. Applicants for licensure can accrue supervised hours as follows:
1. as a registered psychologist
2. as an employee in an "exempt" setting
3. as an intern in a formal internship with meets 1387 (this is the
only method that the individual said would allow the accrual of
hours)...again, this is not so.
4. as a psychological assistant
5. Department of Mental Health Waiver
6. Out of State Experience.

I am sorry to go on about this, but I do want to make a point, that
gathering factual information on this or any list may be problematic.

But let me say, that as a past president and current member of the
California Board of Psychology, you can trust the factual information
about the process of CA licensure presented above is correct and if
you would like it verified please contact the CA Board of Psychology.

Hopefully that helps. As for CAPIC....I can't speak to that specifically, but I know that APA/APPIC-accredited sites would be the better option.

There are several issues the bear on your question and the topic is confusing, even to seasoned professionals, but it is good you are asking it as you look ahead. There is a national exam, the EPPP, that most if not all states use as a benchmark, at least for initial licensure. However, each state has specific rules for licensure there that effect when you take the exam (before or after degree) and the "passing" score. Each state also defines what an acceptable internship is as well and the specifics (how many weeks or hours pre-doc, etc) and whether they require APA (only Mississippi and Oklahoma require it currently, I believe). For example, in California you can do an APA, APPIC or CAPIC internship--and there are some additonal alternative routes defined in the law as well for accruing supervised professional experience. (I know someone who did it all post-doctorally because her developmental psych program did not require internship.)So there are two things you need to stay alert to (and your school should be helping you with this): 1) Knowing the regulations for the state in which you want to be licensed initially (read the regulations yourself, don't rely on someone else's proclamation) 2) Following the profession's work on licensure mobility. Each state has slightly different requirements and right now it is not always easy to move and be quickly re-licensed. Work is being done on this but it is slow so if you are planning to be elsewhere it is a good idea to become familiar with their laws or even consider seeking your initial licensure there. You can go to school in one state and be licensed initially in another. Schools and internship sites should be willing to talk with you about how and where their students have been readily licensed

Members don't see this ad :)
Several days ago, I got a question from a another applicant regarding licensure for international students. Since I wasn't sure, I search tho I wasn't able to find a clear answer. Are international students/foreigners eligible to get licensed? Or is becoming a licensed counseling or clincial psychologist only possible for permanent residents or citizens?

There are several issues the bear on your question and the topic is confusing, even to seasoned professionals, but it is good you are asking it as you look ahead. There is a national exam, the EPPP, that most if not all states use as a benchmark, at least for initial licensure. However, each state has specific rules for licensure there that effect when you take the exam (before or after degree) and the "passing" score. Each state also defines what an acceptable internship is as well and the specifics (how many weeks or hours pre-doc, etc) and whether they require APA (only Mississippi and Oklahoma require it currently, I believe). For example, in California you can do an APA, APPIC or CAPIC internship--and there are some additonal alternative routes defined in the law as well for accruing supervised professional experience. (I know someone who did it all post-doctorally because her developmental psych program did not require internship.)So there are two things you need to stay alert to (and your school should be helping you with this): 1) Knowing the regulations for the state in which you want to be licensed initially (read the regulations yourself, don't rely on someone else's proclamation) 2) Following the profession's work on licensure mobility. Each state has slightly different requirements and right now it is not always easy to move and be quickly re-licensed. Work is being done on this but it is slow so if you are planning to be elsewhere it is a good idea to become familiar with their laws or even consider seeking your initial licensure there. You can go to school in one state and be licensed initially in another. Schools and internship sites should be willing to talk with you about how and where their students have been readily licensed

I really appreciate all this information, I have a much better understanding how this all works. THank you so much.

Thank you very much for the clarification Therapist4change, this all helps a lot.