Psych -> Pain Fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whosnisarg

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I was just curious - any psychiatry trained pain medicine physicians out there? If not, why? I'd think (very ignorantly I'll presume) that because pain can be an emotional response, psychiatry-pain physicians could be helpful, no?

In terms of fellowship, are there any that would consider psychiatry residents since many are located in anesthesia departments and PM&R and neuro have a tough time filling spots?

Lastly, what would be some pros/cons of going into a pain fellowship from psych residency as opposed to anesthesia trained fellows?

Thanks, guys. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it's possible but much more difficult than coming from anesthesia or PM&R. However judging by your post history I would recommend just focusing on getting into medical school, or dental school, before deciding on what fellowships to apply to. You can't expect to plan out your whole life. Things change. You change. Enjoy college, you don't get to go back.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh Jesus, you’re still pre-med? Although it’s hard advice to take, take it from someone who’s been there (statistically, most doctors) that you should keep an open mind and try to approach each specialty as one you want to go into because you probably won’t end up doing what you thought you would. I, for example, was dead set on neurology from pre-med right up until my 3rd year med school rotation in neurology. It was only in retrospect that I realized how much I’d loved my anesthesia rotation, and that I hadn’t given it due consideration because I thought I was set on neurology. Thankfully it wasn’t too late to change.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh Jesus, you’re still pre-med? Although it’s hard advice to take, take it from someone who’s been there (statistically, most doctors) that you should keep an open mind and try to approach each specialty as one you want to go into because you probably won’t end up doing what you thought you would. I, for example, was dead set on neurology from pre-med right up until my 3rd year med school rotation in neurology. It was only in retrospect that I realized how much I’d loved my anesthesia rotation, and that I hadn’t given it due consideration because I thought I was set on neurology. Thankfully it wasn’t too late to change.
Great question, though, for current psych res applicants. Any success stories here of psych-friendly pain fellowships? would love to chat.