Psychiatrist in a Medical Emergency

damusiel

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok

So pretend my mother or sister fainted or had a seizure or a cut from a knife. Will a Psychiatrist be able to help treat the problem and save them?

In other words, can a psychiatrist diagnose other illnesses other than depression or schizo from outside?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
A psychiatrist goes through medical school the same as any other medical doctor (so they generally have an MD after their name, indicating medical doctor). Then on top of that they also get additional specialized training for several years in mental health. Sometimes people who are not in the health care field confuse a psychiatrist and a psychologist. A psychologist does not go to medical school but rather gets a doctoral degree in psychology (PhD which is kind of generic for a doctoral degree in lots of things which can include psychology, or PsyD which specifically means psychology). That's usually about 5 years of classes, clinical work, and research related to mental health, followed by one year of internship (which is sort of like residency for medical doctors, but shorter) and some more supervision and other things before they get licensed. Except for in limited circumstances in a few states, a psychologist cannot prescribe medications. Psychologists can diagnose mental health disorders but not other problems- they would refer to medical doctors for that. Based on your question I assumed you might be confused about the difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist. Generally the training and work they do is pretty different although there is some overlap and it is not uncommon for a patient to have both a treating psychologist and a psychiatrist for various aspects of their care. Hopefully that answers your question sufficiently.

Reactions: 2 users
Ok

So pretend my mother or sister fainted or had a seizure or a cut from a knife. Will a Psychiatrist be able to help treat the problem and save them?

In other words, can a psychiatrist diagnose other illnesses other than depression or schizo from outside?

My diagnostic acumen have diminished over the years, but I'm about 90% certain I could figure out if a patient was cut.

Reactions: 15 users
Yes, in all 3 cases I can call 911 or drive them to the ER myself.

More seriously, I think we can be helpful if you ask the question that is behind this question.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, in all 3 cases I can call 911 or drive them to the ER myself.

More seriously, I think we can be helpful if you ask the question that is behind this question.
Do psychiatrists get as much "respect" as other physicians?

Reactions: 1 user
Do psychiatrists get as much "respect" as other physicians?

People don't respect doctors in general the way they used to.

You can do something totally "respectable" like primary care and still have patients threatening you because you won't refill their Percocet or deciding to keep gabbing on their cell phone while you're standing there waiting.

At least on inpatient psych we get to take away their cell phones. :p

Seriously, though, while some people have prejudices about mental illness still, I don't run into people who look down on my job all that often. A lot of people seem to think psych is interesting. Just look at how often movies and TV shows incorporate stuff involving psych or mental illness. Other physicians often seem to appreciate my input on their patients with psych issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Unrelated to initial post but related to OP - what does "probationary status" mean in a practical sense? like, what puts someone on probationary status and are there limits, like you can't start new threads or posts or something? Just curious. First time I have seen that banner.

Ok

Yeah, they could in most situations. Why? Because the available methods of treatment in the pre-hospital setting are very limited. If you wanted to be comfortable in most medical emergencies, just keep up with the ACLS algorithms (BLS would be enough really...CPR and knowing how to use an AED are the big factors) and basic first aid. Once EMS arrives fill them in and let them take over from there.

Last month a person collapsed near me in the airport and started having a seizure. In those scenarios your medical training amounts to being the person comfortable with doing essentially nothing (apart from a few minor things) and helping to keep things calm until EMS arrives.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok

First off, welcome to SDN and congrats on finding the site so early in your (I'm assuming) future medical career. It's full of invaluable information. In general, I would say that you want to be actively posting on the board at your level (i.e. hsSDN - high school SDN), occasionally asking questions on the next board up (i.e. Pre-allo, pre-osteo), and lurking and not posting much on the other, more advanced boards (i.e. speciality boards like this one). That being said, if you have a legitimate question and aren't just trolling, I tend to say it's fine.

Anyways, to answer your question, yes, we are medical doctors and can help care for family or strangers in those situations. We actually have a fair amount of neurology training, so fainting (aka syncope, a common neurological complaint) and seizures I'd be pretty darn helpful with actually. A serious cut, I'd be able to do solid first aid and get them safely to next level care (ER). I probably wouldn't try to sew it myself anymore though, although I was a fair stitch during medical school when I had more practice.

Now, in an apocalypse-type situation, we psychiatrists would probably be relegated to primary care, and I think most of us would handle it ok. I'd refer to literature for a bunch of things that I don't have committed to memory anymore (advanced infectious disease, OBGYN, surgery), but I could handle most every day primary care, assuming I had some basic supplies and basic meds.

A good psychiatrist will actually do a fair amount of preventive care screening, as many of out patients neglect their physical health for various reasons. In the seriously mentally ill (i.e. schizophrenics) they often simply can't function at a level high enough to do this themselves. In more moderately mentally ill, ADHD for example, they forget or don't plan well and miss appointments or don't go for years, make impulsive choices, etc.

Finally, a lot of patients with mental illness get less than ideal care from their medical doctors because they are either annoying, complicated, or just can't communicate well with their doctor. This often results in the medical doctor just getting frustrated with them and referring them to us for psychiatric care and then hoping they never see them again. This means we are often the only people screening to make sure their mental illness isn't a result of medical illness. I've caught a couple cases of hemochromatosis (an iron storage disease), thyroid cancers, stomach cancers, lung cancers, thyroid diseases, and a host of other illness that medical doctors missed in psych patients.

So yes, we're medical doctors too.

Reactions: 3 users