SnowInVenice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this is a common topic, but I am including personal factors that will make this thread at least somewhat unique. I am currently in high school taking basic college courses as a dual enrolled student.

I love learning and using computers and I plan on majoring in Information Systems in college, however, I cannot see myself at a computer screen for the rest of my life. In college, I am thinking to go into the ROTC program (AF or Army) in order to pay for my BS degree. Note, would I have to complete my owed service right after or could I do them after med school if I am accepted?

I only recently thought of this, but I would like to be a psychiatrist. Would it be possible to attend medical school with a BS in Information Systems?

Ideallt, I want to either go to the USUHS (Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences) or use an HPSP scholarship with the military (I would really like to be in the air force). I would also be open to applying to other schools or possible schools in the Caribbean. I just want to have as little debt.

I want to finish with as least debt as possible and a good career in the Air Force. What are my possibilities? How long would I be required to serve in the military (I want to retire too)? What would be the steps to become a psychiatrist that I am missing?

I know my post was kind of all over the place, but please comment any suggestions, answers, comments, or anything that may help me. Thank you so much. Have a great day :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Assuming you complete the necessary prerequisite courses for medical school nobody will care that you majored in InfoSys. Don't apply Caribbean. I don't have any insight on the military-related questions.

It is entirely possible to get an undergrad degree in IS and still go to medical school. However, you still need to take all the pre-reqs, which, if you're not entering undergrad with AP credits means at least 3 full semesters of all science labs/classes and that is if you can take many of the pre-reqs for the upper level labs concurrently.

Med school is not a decision to be taken lightly, it's not a career you can half-ass for the prep on the side and end up getting into school, much less successful. I would suggest seriously considering why you want to get a BS in IS and if you are committed to going to medical school, before you even consider how you're going to pay for it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I have friends doing the military route. This means they will leave medical school with no debt, BUT the catch is that they serve for a year for each year the military paid for of school. So, its a year of your life, eye for an eye so to speak.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is entirely possible to get an undergrad degree in IS and still go to medical school. However, you still need to take all the pre-reqs, which, if you're not entering undergrad with AP credits means at least 3 full semesters of all science labs/classes and that is if you can take many of the pre-reqs for the upper level labs concurrently.

Med school is not a decision to be taken lightly, it's not a career you can half-ass for the prep on the side and end up getting into school, much less successful. I would suggest seriously considering why you want to get a BS in IS and if you are committed to going to medical school, before you even consider how you're going to pay for it.

Thank you for your reply. I understand I need Pre-Reqs; So far, I have a semester/course of molecular biology completed, which I have completed with a community college. I may also may take physics, but I am not sure as I am not so good at math. I think I am committed, although it could be just a spur of the moment type decision. I have always been interested in medicine, science, and especially the mind, but I always figured becoming a doctor was too hard. I very well may reconsider, but I am just not nearly as enthusiastic about majoring specifically in biology or chemistry than I am in a field with computers; I just wouldn't like a career in computers. In regards to your comment about the military, I am aware of my end of the deal as I want to be in the air force, I just do not know how I would pay back my time (Like, would I pay my ROTC owed time directly after undergrad or could I add it after medical school, etc.).

Consider a minoring in counseling as your backup plan... It's unfortunete to say but for example; 50% of premeds discover it's too hard, 50% can't reach a competitive MCAT score, 25% get accepted the first year. My backup is becoming a paramedic because I'm doing mine in Paramedic Science to a B.S. of Health Science so that I have a solid backup plan. I am also reset to apply if I need too the next year.