Psychiatry Scramble List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasPhysician

Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the list of psych programs that didn't fill in 2011? This far out, I'm pretty sure it is not a violation to post this.......I would think. I'm curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you looking to change programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
From the list:
16 programs, 18 spots

George Washington 2 spots
Georgetown 3 spots
Advocate Lutheran (IL) 1 spot
UIC 3 spots
Boston U 1 spot
UMass 2 spots
U of Mississippi 3 spots
Wright State 1 spot
Temple 2 spots
Palmetto Health (SC) 4 spots
UTenn Memphis 1 spot
John Peter Smith (TX) 1 spot
UT San Antonio - 1 spot
UW Boise - 1 spot
Charlestown WVU - 2 spots
Johns Hopkins - 1 advanced spot

Surprising because there are a few programs that I have heard really good things about (UIC, UTHSC, GW). UW Boise seems to never fill, although I think it, too, is a good program. I remember applying to UW, and they offered us the choice to interview at Boise or Spokane with $300 for travel. I just didn't like the idea of training one place for two years and then moving to go somewhere else. UW in general also felt too big for me, and the Boise program is really small. So if you want the small thing, I don't think you'd like your first two years.

Last edited:
From the list:
16 programs, 18 spots

George Washington 2 spots
Georgetown 3 spots
Advocate Lutheran (IL) 1 spot
UIC 3 spots
Boston U 1 spot
UMass 2 spots
U of Mississippi 3 spots
Wright State 1 spot
Temple 2 spots
Palmetto Health (SC) 4 spots
UTenn Memphis 1 spot
John Peter Smith (TX) 1 spot
UT San Antonio - 1 spot
UW Boise - 1 spot
Charlestown WVU - 2 spots
Johns Hopkins - 1 advanced spot

Agreed. Very interesting list. Anyone have any ideas why some of these may not have filled? We're looking for a decent small-ish program in the SE (or near VA), and some of these are on my list of places to look at (Palmetto, Georgetown, GW, and WVU in particular).

I interviewed at both UMississippi as well as UT-San Antonio. UMiss doesn't interview a lot of people for their slots and are looking for people with a high probability of matching there. The facilities are definitely on the older side but the pathology is phenomenal since you are basically the only game in town. Also, they have a sleep fellowship in-house which is relatively unique. I ranked UT-San Antonio number two on my match list and I ended up matching at my number one. I really liked San Antonio and have a good feeling that I would have matched there if not at my number one. Their psych department is in the black and ranks only behind internal medicine in research funding. Cool city, first breaks from the Army basic training in town, large variety of pathology, large(17) residency class to split call and make friends.

I as well as a classmate both received interview rejections from Palmetto which sucks because I've heard that they are a pretty friendly program.

UT-Memphis is often seen as the least desirable program in the state of Tennessee. A lot of people don't like Memphis as a city and the program is smaller(4ish per class) than you'd expect since UTenn is the flagship state-sponsored school. Talking among some of the psychiatrists around here that trained at Vandy they say that Vanderbilt used to be pretty malignant but despite that it still attracted good candidates since local grads didn't want to stay at UTenn.

As always, take what I have to say above with a grain of salt.

I'm really surprised to see Palmetto only match 2 of their 6 spots. I really can't fathom how this is possible, especially considering that they have a pretty decent reputation.

UMiss doesn't interview a lot of people for their slots and are looking for people with a high probability of matching there.

Sounds foolproof.

I'm really surprised to see Palmetto only match 2 of their 6 spots. I really can't fathom how this is possible, especially considering that they have a pretty decent reputation.

That's what I was wondering...all I can figure is that they were purposefully trying to score better people in the scramble, but that seems out of character from what I've heard...

Yeah, aren't they also pretty cush, which honestly is pretty attractive to candidates? I also don't remember seeing them on the no fill list much.

I did interview with someone who went to medical school at Tennessee, and she was super negative about Memphis and about the program. It seemed, though, that she really hated Memphis and that was spilling over into her feelings about her school and the program in general. As a person who had a lot of fun in Memphis as a college student (went to school just a few hours away), I wouldn't think it would be the most horrible place to be. It has a lot of crime, but you could also live in Germantown if that bothered you.

Georgetown looks like a pretty solid program from their website, and I've heard their new PD is pretty good. Now, they don't list their call schedule on their website, so maybe it's brutal.

Overall, UIC is the one that's surprising me the most. I remember researching Chicago and got the impression that they were possibly the strongest program in town. They don't get a lot of buzz here, but I had the impression they were pretty solid. It's weird they had so many open spots.

Surprising because there are a few programs that I have heard really good things about (UIC, UTHSC, GW). UW Boise seems to never fill, although I think it, too, is a good program. I remember applying to UW, and they offered us the choice to interview at Boise or Spokane with $300 for travel. I just didn't like the idea of training one place for two years and then moving to go somewhere else. UW in general also felt too big for me, and the Boise program is really small. So if you want the small thing, I don't think you'd like your first two years.

"UW Boise" is a track ("Idaho Advanced Clinician Track") of the UW-Seattle main program: as Doctor Bagel mentioned, you do your first two years of training in Seattle with the rest of the UW program (which makes for a huge PGY1 and PGY2 class), and then you move to Boise to focus your training in preparation for a career as a psychiatrist in a smaller, non-urban setting where your work is likely to be primarily as a generalist psychiatrist and/or in collaboration with primary care physicians. The track really does aim to recruit people who are interested in 'rural psychiatry': if graduates serve in the WWAMI states (Washington Wyoming Alaska Montana Idaho) that would be perfect, but if they go on to careers in other rural underserved areas that is okay too (from the perspective of the program). Every now and then they get someone who is willing to matriculate there just for the UW name and then promptly move to New York City, but more often than not either the program leadership weeds them out during the selection process, or applicants weed themselves out ("I just can't spend two years of my life in Boise. I just can't do it").

Yeah, aren't they also pretty cush, which honestly is pretty attractive to candidates? I also don't remember seeing them on the no fill list much.

I did interview with someone who went to medical school at Tennessee, and she was super negative about Memphis and about the program. It seemed, though, that she really hated Memphis and that was spilling over into her feelings about her school and the program in general. As a person who had a lot of fun in Memphis as a college student (went to school just a few hours away), I wouldn't think it would be the most horrible place to be. It has a lot of crime, but you could also live in Germantown if that bothered you.

Georgetown looks like a pretty solid program from their website, and I've heard their new PD is pretty good. Now, they don't list their call schedule on their website, so maybe it's brutal.

Overall, UIC is the one that's surprising me the most. I remember researching Chicago and got the impression that they were possibly the strongest program in town. They don't get a lot of buzz here, but I had the impression they were pretty solid. It's weird they had so many open spots.

I ranked Palmetto pretty high. I don't see how they had 4 spots open. Definitely a diamond in the rough program. Cushy - yes.

Interesting indeed. Is there any penalty for a program that does not fill their spots, even after the scramble (ie decreased funding, loss potential spots in the future, etc)?