PhD/PsyD Psychologist and NP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mc625510

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if it would be possible to get your Phd (or PsyD) in clinical psychology and then go back to school to become a psychiatric NP? And would this allow the psychologist to prescribe, since NPs can prescribe?

Members don't see this ad.

It's possible, but it would make more sense to go straight for the NP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Poor use of time and $. Also….having to jump through the hoops for an RN (rotations and whatnot) and then NP requirements AFTER going through a doctoral program for 6+ years is going to stink. Even a direct entry NP program will having some annoying educational hoops.

If you want to prescribe and do psych stuff I suggest becoming a physician (psychiatrist). They have psychiatric NP programs, but I frankly haven't been impressed by the training. Either of those paths are VERY different than becoming a psychologist, so it isn't a perfect path if you are set on psychology.

Reactions: 1 user
Poor use of time and $. Also….having to jump through the hoops for an RN (rotations and whatnot) and then NP requirements AFTER going through a doctoral program for 6+ years is going to stink. Even a direct entry NP program will having some annoying educational hoops.

If you want to prescribe and do psych stuff I suggest becoming a physician (psychiatrist). They have psychiatric NP programs, but I frankly haven't been impressed by the training. Either of those paths are VERY different than becoming a psychologist, so it isn't a perfect path if you are set on psychology.

This is what I was going for in my post, should have been more thorough OP. :p

Well right now I am halfway through my junior year of undergraduate so I would have to stay extra time in undergrad alone to fulfill the prereqs (physics series, chem and organic chem series etc) because I have none of them and then medical school and residency to be able to be a psychiatrist. So about 9-10 years. With accelerated BSN/MSN programs I could be done in a few years and then at the time of entry to a doctoral program I would have prescription rights. What is appealing is that I would be able to be a clinical psychologist, but have the ability to prescribe medication. In addition, I could work part time during the doctoral program because I would be an NP.

Well right now I am halfway through my junior year of undergraduate so I would have to stay extra time in undergrad alone to fulfill the prereqs (physics series, chem and organic chem series etc) because I have none of them and then medical school and residency to be able to be a psychiatrist. So about 9-10 years. With accelerated BSN/MSN programs I could be done in a few years and then at the time of entry to a doctoral program I would have prescription rights. What is appealing is that I would be able to be a clinical psychologist, but have the ability to prescribe medication. In addition, I could work part time during the doctoral program because I would be an NP.

Let's say it's 3 yrs for the direct entry NP program. Doctoral training will be at least 4+1+1..which puts you at 9 years total. As for working PT while in a doctoral program….many outright restrict this, while others it might be possible but not probable. Some people are able to find time to work (5-10hr/wk) in the 3rd, 4th, 5th years (of training, not internship or post-doc…which usually forbid an outside job)….but it is nearly impossible to work and also do what you need to do when in doctoral training. Classes make up 50% or less of your actual time spent doing work. Researching, reading (a lot), studying, completing practica hours, attending supervision sessions, etc.

Your end goal can happen, it just isn't common. There are a prescriber or two on here who are also psychologists, but it is a pretty uncommon path, mostly bc of the above reasons. A couple people also are prescribing psychologists, but I don't recommend that route if you know up front you want to prescribe, as becoming an MD/DO or PA/NP are more direct and can be licensed in every state.

Get a clinical psych doctoral degree and a postdoctoral MSCP and work in NM or LA. That'll let you prescribe as a psychologist.

mc625510: I'm someone who decided not to pursue clinical psych and opted to do direct entry psych NP instead. I'm in the first year of my NP program. If you have questions, feel free to PM me. Nursing is pretty different from psychology, but the end game of psych NP is the right choice for me for many reasons.

Last edited:
Fundamentally, mc625510, you would need physics, chem and organic chem to understand the basic physiological mechanics of the body's use of medications (e.g. vectors, titration, sequence of chemical reactions are utilized in practice),...hence, I would recommend no shortcuts and go straight for an MD. Without a degree in medicine, I would not want you to prescribe anyone I know or any of my patients medication. A psychiatric NP will not make decisions in a vacuum, the profession (as I understand it) would require close collaboration with MDS, PhD/PsyDs in order to prescribe....why would you want to focus on doing these very important tasks without the comprehensive and complete training? You are presumably young enough (if you are a undergrad).

I'm speaking from the point of view of someone who sees every day the ramifications of overuse and misuse of psychiatric meds. Get the proper and full training (MD) if you want to prescribe meds. Otherwise, figure out specifically what it is about prescribing meds that you're interested in and focus on that sole route. Doctoral programs in clinical psychology are too competitive and will sniff out that you have ulterior motives (that are not fundamental to our practice) during the interview process, and your compassion for our trade will not shine through, ultimately resulting in non-acceptance. Cut to the chase and go the medical or NP route, but the plan you're proposing seems unrealistic and convulted with respect to you & your goals (IMO, of course). I would take AnnoyedByFreud (great name BTW) up on the offer and see what the profession entails exactly, and if it suits your end goals. Good Luck! :luck:

And AnnoyedByFreud with respect to you, I know your profession is 100% necessary (especially with today's healthcare limitations) and involves so much more than just prescribing meds.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user