You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
You can get into medical school by majoring in basket weaving as long as you have your pre-reqs a decent GPA and MCAT.
Select a major that accomplishes the following tasks.
1. Keep a High GPA
2. Something you enjoy
3. Solid Plan B- Psych is not a very marketable degree by itself.
Select a major that accomplishes the following tasks.
1. Keep a High GPA
2. Something you enjoy
3. Solid Plan B- Psych is not a very marketable degree by itself.
Currently, I have both MD and DO II's. I majored in psychology and anthropology.I have a friend that doesn't want to major in bio she is more interested in psychology but still wants to attend med school in the future. Anyone have experience with this? Pros? Cons? Has it helped you any?
Pros: I didn't have to learn about plants, ecology, and all of that other nonsense. Studying what you like = better grades (generally, speaking). MCAT Psych was cake (didn't even have to study for it). MCAT Bio was fairly easy too, as upper level psych's are bio-heavy.
Cons: I cannot think of any.
Study what you love and everything will fall into place.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can get into medical school by majoring in basket weaving as long as you have your pre-reqs a decent GPA and MCAT.
Select a major that accomplishes the following tasks.
1. Keep a High GPA
2. Something you enjoy
3. Solid Plan B- Psych is not a very marketable degree by itself.
I wish someone would've told me that when I was a freshman...
I recently saw a dude at an interview who majored in art curation and non-profit management.
Unique majors can actually help, although psych is not all that unique.
Unique majors can actually help, although psych is not all that unique.
Adcoms don't care what your major or minor is, only that one does well.
I have a friend that doesn't want to major in bio she is more interested in psychology but still wants to attend med school in the future. Anyone have experience with this? Pros? Cons? Has it helped you any?
I wish I would have majored in Network Engineering. I was mislead by my advisor at my local community college who at first said I shouldn't do pre-Med because it is hard, but further went on to tell me I had to be a bio major if I even wanted a chance. He also told me I didn't have to take "Bio for MAJORS!!" Which obviously unneeded and it set me behind. I was already an expert in computer networking and I would have really enjoyed it while making great grades, however hind sight is 20/20. Major in something interesting. Majoring in biology will most likely not give you much of an advantage on the MCAT and the way I look at it - I would have almost preferred taking my first sciences in medical school, because it's harder to re-learn something than it is so learn something right the first time.
I'm a humanities major. Do what ever interests you.
No one cares about your major. Bio actually tends to hurt applicants, as it is the most lukewarm major you could possibly read on an app.
Why are you still on here? You're a known troll, who has multiple degrees/mcat scores/gpas.
Why are you still on here? You're a known troll, who has multiple degrees/mcat scores/gpas.
You obviously can't read the first 4 words say it is for a friend...
You obviously can't read the first 4 words say it is for a friend...
Your friend is unable to use SDN him or herself. Shocking
Last edited:
You obviously can't read the first 4 words say it is for a friend...
I don't care what question you're asking, or who you're asking for. It doesn't change the fact that you are a blatant troll lmao. You can ask a question for your grandma and you're still gonna be a troll.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a friend that doesn't want to major in bio she is more interested in psychology but still wants to attend med school in the future. Anyone have experience with this? Pros? Cons? Has it helped you any?
Can't tell if joke post or not, but going off of the assumption that actual pre-meds might read these answers....
A) Your major in college doesn't matter as long as you complete the minimum (and recommended) course requirements for xyz med school
B) If by the ambiguous pronoun "it" you mean, has being a pscyhology major hepled, then the answer is: If it's what your friend is interested in, then yes, go for it. They'll be doing it for at least 3 years. Do what you like. It.
Good luck to you and your friend.
Wouldn't someone accepted to med school know that major doesn't matter lol
He's not a med student. He's apparently in some respiratory tech program lol
You can major in anything, but it's important to keep a high GPA, so something a little easier would be better. Psych isn't too hard when compared to things like physics/chemistry so I'd actually think it's not a half bad route for pre-med. not to mention that psych is a super interesting subject.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I did psych, my friends did psych and we are all in med school. Do well, study hard, find opportunities for research.
Sent from my XT1254 using SDN mobile
Sent from my XT1254 using SDN mobile
Similar threads
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 608