Psychology Credit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

navybluedreams

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I was just thinking about some of my pre-reqs, and I realized I didn't have to take general psychology in undergrad because I received credit for the course when I took it as AP Psychology in high school. I don't have to take the class, right?

Thanks!
 
Depends if the schools you want to apply to accept AP credit. Some accept all AP credits, some accept AP credits but not for pre-reqs, some only accept AP credits for certain classes and not others, and some don't accept AP credit at all.
 
@knj27 Is correct. You will need to talk to the programs and see if they will accept it. But be prepared to take another psych class. Which won't be so bad since they are usually easy and somewhat interesting.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same issue happened to me. Always check, and remember it's better to be safe than sorry, especially over an easy class. Hence why I am taking stats and child psych right now (again...because I learned these classes were too old to be accepted)
 
...because I learned these classes were too old...

👍 Yep. OP, note that even if a school accepts the AP credit, depending on what year of high school you took it there is a good chance it will be too old at a lot of schools. The average seems to be that pre-reqs need to have been done in the last ~7 years...some schools may let you go out as long as 10 years...some schools requirement may be as short as 5...
 
Another thing to note - some schools only accept APs with scores over a certain number (even if you passed) I just ran into this - I thought I had met the English Comp requirement for one school by passing the Eng Comp AP exam with a 3, but learned recently they need a 4 or higher for it to count as a pre-req (even though technically a 3 is a pass for college credit)
Like the others said, talk to your program to make sure you're clear on the requirements.