PSYCHOLOGY INTERNSHIP APPIC PHASE 11(2015)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My friend received personalized email invites for phone interviews at Mental Health Center/MHC of Denver (Child and Family track) on March 3rd, and UC Davis Children's Hospital today (March 5th).

Denver Consortium - personalized email for a phone interview - Kaiser track

Members don't see this ad :)
(SUI/springfield schools) Illinois consortium- email for skype interview.
Can any who any experience with this site pm me? I was wondering how the interview is like. Thanks

Personalized email from EVMS for telephone interview.

Reactions: 1 user
I heard back from a few sites today that I don't think have been mentioned yet... I was starting to feel really discouraged, because all I had received until yesterday were rejections! Invitations are still coming in, so there is still hope for all of us!

All are college counseling centers:
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas (email)
- CSU San Marcos (phone call)
- CSU Fullerton (phone call)
- DU Health & Counseling Center (email)
- University of San Diego (email) -- Super excited about this one because they had passed over me when I applied there in Phase I, and I won them over somehow!

I'm not sure if some of these have already been mentioned, but I received email rejections from these sites:
- Anka Behavioral Health
- Alliant Int. University Oakland PSC
- UC Davis CAARE Center

Has anyone heard anything from UCLA, IMCES, Monterey County Behavioral Health, or Community Healthlink?

Has anyone heard anything from UCLA, IMCES, Monterey County Behavioral Health, or Community Healthlink?

Whoa, congrats for all the CC interviews!!
I haven't heard from IMCES or Community Healthlink either. I'm interviewing at Monterey County Behavioral Health tomorrow. They have in-person interviews tomorrow for in-state, next Thursday for out-of-state

Whoa, congrats for all the CC interviews!!
I haven't heard from IMCES or Community Healthlink either. I'm interviewing at Monterey County Behavioral Health tomorrow. They have in-person interviews tomorrow for in-state, next Thursday for out-of-state

Thanks and best of luck with your MCBH interview tomorrow!

Thanks and best of luck with your MCBH interview tomorrow!
Thank you!

Oh, almost forgot, received a rejection email at 6pm this evening from Family Service and Guidance Center of Topeka. It was very sweet though.

Wright State University, personalized email invitation to phone interview
Nebraska Internship Consortium, personalized email invitation to phone interview

Congratulations on the interviews everyone!

Has anyone heard from Queen Elizabeth II in Halifax?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview offers for the following counseling centers:

Univ of Notre Dame
Southern Illinois University
Texas A & M
University of Denver
University of South Carolina
University of Pittsburgh
SUNY Albany
SUNY Buffalo
Univ of Maryland Baltimore County

I applied to 3 sites in California and haven't hear back.

Sorry for any repeats.

Think some people were waiting to hear from the Memphis VA. I received a personalized email for a phone interview a few hours ago.

I wonder what's going on with the sites in Cali.

I knew applying to sites was a stretch this go around (fit wise), but I expected to be kept more in the loop considering the position we are in.

I wonder if we'll hear from sites over the weekends...I wouldn't mind using some of my weekend time to interview ;)

Reactions: 2 users
I feel like most of the places I applied to are all waiting till the last minute. Or at least that's what it appears to be based on the non-reporting from others. It's a good thing that there's only a week of this left. Till then, it's Clash of Clans time......poke poke poke......

Reactions: 1 users
Email for phone interview with the Orlando VAMC. Guess they are working diligently over the weekends

I feel like most of the places I applied to are all waiting till the last minute. Or at least that's what it appears to be based on the non-reporting from others. It's a good thing that there's only a week of this left. Till then, it's Clash of Clans time......poke poke poke......
I'm also happy there's one more week left. It's hard to find in tim to
Email for phone interview with the Orlando VAMC. Guess they are working diligently over the weekends
Nice! Congrats and that's good to hear!

Yeah, I just got a rejection there. :(

It's funny--- through this whole process at least a third of the places I have applied to are VAs (I have extensive work, research, and practica experience there plus 2 of my letters came from VA supervisors) and yet I have gotten nothing but rejections. If I need to go through this process again next year and want to boost my chances of getting interviews there, I'm just wondering, are people putting in their letters that they are specifically interested in working with Vets or are they just saying they are interested in the clinical aspects of the training?

It's funny--- through this whole process at least a third of the places I have applied to are VAs (I have extensive work, research, and practica experience there plus 2 of my letters came from VA supervisors) and yet I have gotten nothing but rejections. If I need to go through this process again next year and want to boost my chances of getting interviews there, I'm just wondering, are people putting in their letters that they are specifically interested in working with Vets or are they just saying they are interested in the clinical aspects of the training?

+1 for that Orlando VA rejection.
I also got an email from Memphis saying I would be ranked but they couldn't offer me an interview on Friday. Also applied to Jesse Brown and have heard nothing, assuming rejection at this point.
I am honestly feeling pretty demoralized. I don't have VA experience (and have no opportunity to gain it as my program does not have any VA practica), so maybe that could be a part of it? But people from my program have matched at VAs plenty of times before. I have gotten a few interviews to VAs in both phases and I can not differentiate between those who interview me and those who don't.
At this point, I am assuming I am going to be going through this process again just because I think it is somehow helping me cope/feel some sense of control. I'd be really interested to know the answers to these questions too.

I also got an email from Memphis saying I would be ranked but they couldn't offer me an interview on Friday. Also applied to Jesse Brown and have heard nothing, assuming rejection at this point.
I was honestly feeling really demoralized (and still kind of am). I don't have VA experience (and have no opportunity to gain it as my program does not have any VA practica), so maybe that could be a part of it? But people from my program have matched at VAs plenty of times before.
At this point, I am assuming I am going to be going through this process again just because I think it is somehow helping me cope/feel some sense of control. I'd be really interested to know the answers to these questions too.

I feel like it's such a crapshoot. I haven't had any VA experience and many people in my program have gone on to the VAs for internship without experience as well. On the other hand, a very well qualified peer in my cohort also applied for internship this year (with VA prac experience) and did not match in phase I either. I was recently told by someone at a VA that you look "more attractive" to VA internships if you've already been through the VA process because you can hit the ground running... I don't know. I'm in a health psych program and the VAs tend to offer a lot of health psych experiences but otherwise, I don't have a particularly strong interest in working with vets.

Wishing the best for everyone and that none of us have to go through this horrible process again.

I am honestly feeling pretty demoralized. I don't have VA experience (and have no opportunity to gain it as my program does not have any VA practica), so maybe that could be a part of it? But people from my program have matched at VAs plenty of times before. I have gotten a few interviews to VAs in both phases and I can not differentiate between those who interview me and those who don't.

This times 2! I also was rejected from Orlando and notified that I would be ranked but not interviewed by Memphis. I also received interviews at some top VAs during phase 1. The only things I can think of - is one I'm very research focused and orlando has a practitioner model so perhaps this may have influenced things and two I emphasized wanting neuropsych training which can be a competitive rotation to get....? I guess who really knows!

ran
This times 2! I also was rejected from Orlando and notified that I would be ranked but not interviewed by Memphis. I also received interviews at some top VAs during phase 1. The only things I can think of - is one I'm very research focused and orlando has a practitioner model so perhaps this may have influenced things and two I emphasized wanting neuropsych training which can be a competitive rotation to get....? I guess who really knows!
ranked but not interviewed? So you have a chance of matching there even without an interview?

I'm assuming the probability is pretty low that somone that interviews wouldn't put them as #1.... I know I only applied to 3 sites this phase because of the limited options for my interests...

I know that others have contemplated what factors might predict someone not matching... And going into this I believed them but I think its important to post that it is possible to be in a phd program, have 1200+ hours, have VA experience in and out patient, 10 pubs (4 first author), receive 8 interviews at strong sites, have good letter of recs (as told by sites I interviewed with), not very restricted geographically, and I tend to get along well with others. Also I was told i was a strong candidate and they were surprised I didn't match when I asked for feedback from sites. So now I'm not sure what to believe and just have to hope next year I come out on top.

Reactions: 2 users
I know that others have contemplated what factors might predict someone not matching... And going into this I believed them but I think its important to post that it is possible to be in a phd program, have 1200+ hours, have VA experience in and out patient, 10 pubs (4 first author), receive 8 interviews at strong sites, have good letter of recs (as told by sites I interviewed with), not very restricted geographically, and I tend to get along well with others. Also I was told i was a strong candidate and they were surprised I didn't match when I asked for feedback from sites. So now I'm not sure what to believe and just have to hope next year I come out on top.

The fact that someone with your CV did not match just goes to show you how messed up this whole process is. You sound like an amazing candidate with a bright future ahead of you. Don't give up hope!

All of my interviews were with VAs and consortiums (with aVA + academic med centers). One of my essays briefly indicated an interested in the veteran population. My cover letters didn't mention veterans at all, just the training opportunities that I found attractive and those for which I would be a good fit. I didn't have any VA research or paid work experience, just practica experience (about 1.5 years at the time of interviews).

Last edited:
I have read that Medicare/Medicaid and insurance reimbursement rules have recently been revised allowing private practitioners to supervise predoctoral interns and receive reimbursement for the supervision. This should reduce the imbalance in the next two years but these wi all be non APA accredited sites since most private practitioners will not apply for APA accreditation.

I have read that Medicare/Medicaid and insurance reimbursement rules have recently been revised allowing private practitioners to supervise predoctoral interns and receive reimbursement for the supervision. This should reduce the imbalance in the next two years but these wi all be non APA accredited sites since most private practitioners will not apply for APA accreditation.

Uh, source document? This would be major precedent for medicare (who has never done this).

I can say from the inside that this is NOT something Wellcare (one of CMS largest contrast/ vendors) is doing.

Last edited:
Phone call for Derner Institute WAWI/TVI track.

I know i've written about this before, but i'd be curious to hear how your interview experiences have been like in Phase II? I just had one this morning where they asked me 2 questions and then invited me to ask them questions for the remaining time. Overall, the interview was around 20 minutes. At that point i'm wondering what they are looking for in their brief interviews? Do they have their minds made up? Are they just checking to see if the applicant is normal? I just don't understand how they can get a good feel for a person based on such a brief interview.

Has anyone heard from the University of Tennessee Consortium in Memphis about phase 2 interviews?

i'd be curious to hear how your interview experiences have been like in Phase II? I just had one this morning where they asked me 2 questions and then invited me to ask them questions for the remaining time. Overall, the interview was around 20 minutes. At that point i'm wondering what they are looking for in their brief interviews? Do they have their minds made up? Are they just checking to see if the applicant is normal? I just don't understand how they can get a good feel for a person based on such a brief interview.

I think that's a very valid question!! Even though I am not going thru Phase II I too wonder about the process for finding good fit applicants. A 20 minutes interview is likely not helping much in getting to know you and vice versa. Therefore, I think people who get to have in-person interviews or at least Skype interviews are fortunate. Sites offering that like WellSpan Health also show that you guys deserve the same amount of time spent and that you and the site are not just like 'leftover' applicants or slots that have to be filled as well. You should not be treated or considered less than Phase I applicants. Maybe, a 20 minute interview tells you something about the prospective quality of training!!!

I think that's a very valid question!! Even though I am not going thru Phase II I too wonder about the process for finding good fit applicants. A 20 minutes interview is likely not helping much in getting to know you and vice versa. Therefore, I think people who get to have in-person interviews or at least Skype interviews are fortunate. Sites offering that like WellSpan Health also show that you guys deserve the same amount of time spent and that you and the site are not just like 'leftover' applicants or slots that have to be filled as well. You should not be treated or considered less than Phase I applicants. Maybe, a 20 minute interview tells you something about the prospective quality of training!!!

I've found that the interviews are pretty similar to practicum interviews. 30-90 minutes of questions to get a feel for whether or not you seem to know what you are talking about, actually want to be there (vs. lied in the CL because you were desperate), and have a clear goal/path in mind.

I've found that the interviews are pretty similar to practicum interviews. 30-90 minutes of questions to get a feel for whether or not you seem to know what you are talking about, actually want to be there (vs. lied in the CL because you were desperate), and have a clear goal/path in mind.
Yes. Possibly. But, on the other hand, shouldn't sites assume you were genuinely interested in them and, based on your level of training, that you do know what you are talking about? In other words, isn't that what they decided upon prior to inviting applicants for interviews? I always thought the interview is more for finding out whether you are a goof fit and whether you think you would get the training you desire in order to become the clinician you aspire to? Well, at least that how I feel about the site I matched to.

I know i've written about this before, but i'd be curious to hear how your interview experiences have been like in Phase II? I just had one this morning where they asked me 2 questions and then invited me to ask them questions for the remaining time. Overall, the interview was around 20 minutes. At that point i'm wondering what they are looking for in their brief interviews? Do they have their minds made up? Are they just checking to see if the applicant is normal? I just don't understand how they can get a good feel for a person based on such a brief interview.
I honestly don't get how any of this works, because I, too, would have significant doubts about how a site can really make a decision based on so little interaction. A couple thoughts I had that might be helpful are that, as unfairly brief as interviews seem, all the applicants probably get the same time amount. That doesn't make it feel any less arbitrary I know, but at least if you're getting a (potentially) raw deal, others are as well. My second thought is that I would bet that no site expects itself to end up in Phase II, just like we as applicants do not go in looking for this outcome. Some sites were left with 75-80% of their slots open, which means they're basically starting from scratch. Factoring in the time to review the applications (which were as in-depth as what took them 6-8 weeks to review in Phase I), contact/set up interviews with applicants, interview, and discuss rankings, I could easily see that taking 20+ hours for a site that they probably didn't have to spare. Most internship sites seem like powerhouses with so much that needs attention at any given time, I can't imagine how they're also doing Phase II work. My guess would be the folks who got shorter interviews had busier sites that just couldn't squeeze in all that work.

Yes. Possibly. But, on the other hand, shouldn't sites assume you were genuinely interested in them and, based on your level of training, that you do know what you are talking about? In other words, isn't that what they decided upon prior to inviting applicants for interviews? I always thought the interview is more for finding out whether you are a goof fit and whether you think you would get the training you desire in order to become the clinician you aspire to? Well, at least that how I feel about the site I matched to.

I've found thus far (and when speaking with others who've gone through the phase II process), that when that was more of the focus there was less questions about qualifications and actual clinical knowledge and more personal questions about goals, that seemed personality based, etc. I also found that on practicum interviews too (the places I always matched to always just wanted to talk for 30 minutes about me and rarely asked about vignettes, etc.). So far I have had interviews where every person opened them up with "we have a set list of questions we ask everyone, we will go through them now."

VA Western NY emailed for a phone interview later this week. I know they already contacted some people so it definitely seems like some sites are offering on a rolling basis.

I've found thus far (and when speaking with others who've gone through the phase II process), that when that was more of the focus there was less questions about qualifications and actual clinical knowledge and more personal questions about goals, that seemed personality based, etc. I also found that on practicum interviews too (the places I always matched to always just wanted to talk for 30 minutes about me and rarely asked about vignettes, etc.). So far I have had interviews where every person opened them up with "we have a set list of questions we ask everyone, we will go through them now."

In Phase I, I only had 2 interviews (both at VAs) and I felt that they were more "laid back" asking more personality, general questions rather than a test of your knowledge. So far I've had two Skype interviews for phase II which seem to echo that vibe. For one of the VAs I'm having a phone interview with, they did let us know ahead of time that they will be asking "performance based evaluation" questions which I had been warned of. ..

I have not heard anything about this. Even if it WERE true, I don't see how it would reduce the imbalance, because starting in 2018, a site needs to be accredited by the APA in order to participate in the match.

Has anyone heard from IMCES yet? This late in the game I imagine someone must have. Particularly since they have required in person interviews in the past.

Has anyone heard from IMCES yet? This late in the game I imagine someone must have. Particularly since they have required in person interviews in the past.
No, sorry :( . Anyone heard back from Childrens Assessment Center?

Nope. Surprised no one on here has.

Wonder if they will just go to phase 3.

nope have not heard from them either. I DO know that they are participating in CAPIC- I wonder if they decided to only do CAPIC (since they don't have to give huge stipends). Just a guess though.

Got a call from the Denver VA today for a phone interview.

I haven't heard from:
OhioGuidestone
Astor
Rutgers
Community Healthlink
Children's Institute
Miami-Dade County
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
University of Tennessee internship consortium

No posts about these sites on sdn either. Anyone heard anything?

I haven't heard from:
OhioGuidestone
Astor
Rutgers
Community Healthlink
Children's Institute
Miami-Dade County
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
University of Tennessee internship consortium

No posts about these sites on sdn either. Anyone heard anything?
No to Children's Institute, Geisel, and Rutgers