Psychology major and pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Starlingbruin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently a student at a cc looking to transfer to a UCLA. I am currently a psychology major and my ultimate goal is to go to med school. Do you suggest that I stay at my cc longer to complete bio/chem courses to transfer in as a bio/psychobio/or physiosci major? My original plan is to transfer in as a psychology major and complete pre-med reqs while at cc AND at UCLA when I tansfer. Since my top school of choice is UCLA, and admissions is competitive, does anyone recommend that I do not start my bio/chem courses until I enter UCLA? I heard that many students take their pre-med courses at their cc while attending university. I would like to maintain my gpa for when I apply to med school. Also, would majoring in psychology and taking pre-med classes be much to difficult, rather than "killing two birds with one stone" and going the bio route? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am currently a student at a cc looking to transfer to a UCLA. I am currently a psychology major and my ultimate goal is to go to med school. Do you suggest that I stay at my cc longer to complete bio/chem courses to transfer in as a bio/psychobio/or physiosci major? My original plan is to transfer in as a psychology major and complete pre-med reqs while at cc AND at UCLA when I tansfer. Since my top school of choice is UCLA, and admissions is competitive, does anyone recommend that I do not start my bio/chem courses until I enter UCLA? I heard that many students take their pre-med courses at their cc while attending university. I would like to maintain my gpa for when I apply to med school. Also, would majoring in psychology and taking pre-med classes be much to difficult, rather than "killing two birds with one stone" and going the bio route? Thanks!

I also was a Psychology major, and ended up double majoring in Psych and Molecular Bio... Regarding your question as whether to take your "pre med" pre-req courses (Intro Bios, Gen Chem I and II, O chem I and II and the physics) at a community college or not, I would suggest not. I think most pre-med advisors would suggest that you take these core classes at a four year university, if at all possible. Though the classes may be easier or cheaper to take at a cc (and maybe not), the medical school you are applying to will also take this into consideration (aka this may downplay the good grades that you do get). All other courses (psych, math, etc.) you should def take at the cc and save some $ :)

Wish you luck :cool:

Thanks for the quick response kaya! Well, i have most of the psych requirements fulfilled to transfer to UCLA for psychology. So I wouldn't be able to take psych courses at CC. I can however take bio/chem at cc. But it seems like the best bet is to take these classes at UCLA as well.

But my question is, should I stay at community college longer and transfer in as a bio major? Rather than doing psych and pre-med at UCLA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Major in whatever you want - honestly, that's more important. Being a psych major certainly won't keep you out of med school, and I don't think it should make things considerably more difficult.

I believe it's better to take pre-med classes at a 4-year university because they are more rigorous. Take your pre-med classes at UCLA, but there's no reason why you need to be a bio major if that's not what you want.

Thanks. I think i will do my pre-med reqs at UCLA. Do you have any other advice on getting into med school? Currently I have a 4.0 gpa, but I haven't logged any volunteer hours. Where do you recommend volunteering at?