PhD/PsyD Psychology PhD/PsyD Interview Invitations Fall 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone who was admitted/waitlisted to PsyD's including Pepperdine, Denver, Loyola MD, Roosevelt, Palo Alto compelled to share some info about their background/scores? I just went through the application/interview cycle and unfortunately got rejected by all 10 I applied to. Thank you!
I got waitlisted at Pepperdine, but rejected also from Denver and Roosevelt. Got my master's in Psychology at Pepperdine with a 3.9 gpa, very little research experience but know what I want to specialize in and the interview went relatively smoothly. My undergrad GPA was 3.2 and my GRE scores were in the mid 150s and 4.0 for writing. Have about a year's worth of clinical experience working with population I'm interested in.
Many students are much more qualified than I am, but I think letting your personality in during the interview really sets you apart. The rejections are rough, I know what you're going through!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone who was admitted/waitlisted to PsyD's including Pepperdine, Denver, Loyola MD, Roosevelt, Palo Alto compelled to share some info about their background/scores? I just went through the application/interview cycle and unfortunately got rejected by all 10 I applied to. Thank you!

Received an admissions offer to University of Denver's Psy.D program. I applied to seven Psy.D programs and received three interview invitations and four outright rejections (PGSP and Roosevelt included). Out of the three interviews, I received one rejection and one acceptance so far - still waiting for the last program to reach out with their final decision.

Here are my stats: Undergrad GPA: 3.5 / GRE 161V, 152Q, 5.0AW / 3 years clinical experience / 2 years as a research assistant

Honestly up until I received an admission from DU I was thinking that I would not be admitted anywhere. Last application cycle I applied to five masters in clinical psychology programs and was rejected from all of them (two rejections post-interview). Don't feel discouraged! Use this opportunity to learn what your strengths and weaknesses are. For me I retook the GRE and improved my scores, worked very hard on my statements, and prepared extensively for interviews. Good luck!

Received an admissions offer to University of Denver's Psy.D program. I applied to seven Psy.D programs and received three interview invitations and four outright rejections (PGSP and Roosevelt included). Out of the three interviews, I received one rejection and one acceptance so far - still waiting for the last program to reach out with their final decision.

Here are my stats: Undergrad GPA: 3.5 / GRE 161V, 152Q, 5.0AW / 3 years clinical experience / 2 years as a research assistant

Honestly up until I received an admission from DU I was thinking that I would not be admitted anywhere. Last application cycle I applied to five masters in clinical psychology programs and was rejected from all of them (two rejections post-interview). Don't feel discouraged! Use this opportunity to learn what your strengths and weaknesses are. For me I retook the GRE and improved my scores, worked very hard on my statements, and prepared extensively for interviews. Good luck!
I just googled their program, because I'm unfamiliar with it, and damn that's expensive ($68,000/year).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just googled their program, because I'm unfamiliar with it, and damn that's expensive ($68,000/year).

Yes it's an incredibly expensive program. Students finish academic coursework in three years and after that they only pay a university fee while finishing up practicum work / internships - but still $68k for three years adds up. It's a great program - I'm just praying that I'm offered some type of funding.

Yes it's an incredibly expensive program. Students finish academic coursework in three years and after that they only pay a university fee while finishing up practicum work / internships - but still $68k for three years adds up. It's a great program - I'm just praying that I'm offered some type of funding.
I go to a Psy.D. program that functions the same way (3 years and then fourth year of an apa accredited internship) and it is far less expensive than that. that's wild

Last edited:

I would double check that information. I interviewed with DU PSYD and they did not mention the program cost stopping at the 3 year mark. Also, no financial support is given from the school.

DU is a great program and the cost is worth it. Top 5 psyd programs in the nation. Congrats that is a big accomplishment

Is it? >$200,000 in tuition alone doesn't really seem worth it.

Well For a PSYD program it is a great program. Most of these programs are located in private universities that charge a lot, similar to DU.

However, what makes DU unique is their success rate of getting students into funded APA internships and even have private contracts with APA internship sites in the Denver area which is highly competitive. It is rare to find a well established PSYD created for its original intent. Only a handful have funding and the rest it costs a lot to do it.

Well For a PSYD program it is a great program. Most of these programs are located in private universities that charge a lot, similar to DU.

I think you're missing my point, which is that this level of debt is not worth it regardless of quality.

However, what makes DU unique is their success rate of getting students into funded APA internships and even have private contracts with APA internship sites in the Denver area which is highly competitive. It is rare to find a well established PSYD created for its original intent. Only a handful have funding and the rest it costs a lot to do it.

Are you saying that the program has contracts with internship sites to place their students there? If so, that's not a good thing. It means that their students aren't competitive for the match process, so the program needs to inflate it by creating contractual obligations with sites. It's functionally the same thing as creating their own captive internships, which are also bad.

Reactions: 4 users
Getting students competitive for APA-accreddited internships is the expectation. There are many, many programs who do this successfully without an insane price tag or captive internship. Baylor, Rutgers, etc all have PsyD programs with strong match rates and good to decent funding.

I think you're missing my point, which is that this level of debt is not worth it regardless of quality.

Are you saying that the program has contracts with internship sites to place their students there? If so, that's not a good thing. It means that their students aren't competitive for the match process, so the program needs to inflate it by creating contractual obligations with sites. It's functionally the same thing as creating their own captive internships, which are also bad.

Look you clearly hate these type of programs. Not everyone is given the golden ticket of entering a fully funded doctorate program. 1000s of applicants apply to enter psyd programs and are willing to take on the huge debt. Most PSYD programs cost this much and who am i or you to say the debt isn’t worth it. Undergraduate students that go to out of state institutions might pay upwards of 6 figures for a bachelors degree when you take into account out of state tuition and living expenses. Overall, Plenty of talented PSYD graduates go on to the field and succeed. The OP was asking about psyd programs and I’m trying to provide additional information from my experience there.

And your second point on contracts with internships being a bad thing. That’s your perspective. I look at it as a funded APA internship opportunity in the Denver area which is HIGHLY competitive. Personally, I would like that if I just spent five years in Denver and I didn’t have to leave to finish my degree.

With all that said, please respect the point of these forums is to give insights of the positive and negatives of what is requested from the OP. Let’s not belittle PSYD programs as a whole. It’s just plain rude lol

Getting students competitive for APA-accreddited internships is the expectation. There are many, many programs who do this successfully without an insane price tag or captive internship. Baylor, Rutgers, etc all have PsyD programs with strong match rates and good to decent funding.

I think you named maybe the only two psyd programs in the nation that are funded. I mean clearly the 400-600 applications that the DU PSYD program gets each year is a sign that applicants want to go there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you named maybe the only two psyd programs in the nation that are funded. I mean clearly the 400-600 applications that the DU PSYD program gets each year is a sign that applicants want to go there.

Nope. I go to a different university based PsyD program. We have small cohorts (8-12 people) and good funding. Even without funding, in state tuition is about $10k a year. They are out there.

Reactions: 2 users
DU is definitely on the upper end of expense. Up to you if you want crippling debt to follow you for what is likely the rest of your life, but, there are far better ways for most people to get the career they want in MH without mortgaging their futures for indentured servitude.

Reactions: 2 users
I wanted to comment on this, partially due to quarantine boredom and partially due to my experiences kind of on "both sides" of the debate:

I graduated from undergrad in 2014 with absolutely 0 idea of how graduate programs worked. I applied to programs that appealed to me based on location, and I did not care about the price tag. At the time, I had the idea that all student debt was worth it (first generation college student--my parents, bless their hearts, always encouraged me to do what I needed to do to get a good education, and I assumed that a doctorate meant hefty debt). At the time, I truly believed that I needed to get into a graduate program right away because I was eager to start my career.

Because I had no idea what I was doing, I was rejected from all but one (very pricey) master's program. I ended up accepting and attending. I won't say I regret this, primarily because the program was actually very good and allowed me to complete a master's thesis and research practicum, but I will say for 100% certainty that I wish I would have looked more critically at the price tag. Between my undergrad and my master's, I have a little over 6 figures in student debt that I really, truly wish I understood the weight of before accepting my master's offer out of desperation. The only reason that it is not affecting me as much as it could is that I live in a dual income household, and my partner does not have any student debt whatsoever and is able to work and help pay it down. If he were not in my life, things would be way more stressful.

I applied to funded-only programs after my master's program. I had 3 interviews but ultimately 0 offers. I felt devastated because, again, I was eager to start my career and for the first time in my life I wouldn't have school. I remember feeling horribly jealous of other people in my program who ended up in great programs! And here I was, doing everything I "should" be doing and not getting anywhere.

I ended up working full time for 3 years. My full time job was as a master's level clinician (minimal research), and I took on a second job as a research assistant at a major university near where I lived. I spent months looking for a paid, full time research position but ultimately I had bills that needed to get paid, and since I still wanted to get into a funded program eventually, I knew some unpaid or minimally-paid research experience on the side was better than nothing. While working as a master's level clinician (at a location which also partially served as a captive APA internship site for 2 local programs), I worked with some clinicians who had their PsyD, including my supervisor. Some were great clinicians with a solid research understanding, others...not so much. However, I did notice a trend in that of all the PsyDs I worked with, all but 1 complained of being unable to buy a house because of their debt to income ratio. They were making standard psychologist salary for our area (give or take 100k), but with student debt 200k+ (creeping towards 300k+ because of interest), they could not get approved for a loan even with a sizeable downpayment. For their student loans, the monthly interest alone was over 1000. They had bills to pay and unfortunately were not able to put the sizeable dent in their student debt they were expecting to once they became licensed and worked as a psychologist. They all also put off kids, despite wanting them, because they legitimately could not afford the costs while paying down their loans and saving for a home.

While working, I spent 2 years studying diligently for my GRE, working part-time in research, and submitting my master's thesis for publication. 3 years later and with more research experience under my belt, I ended up getting accepted to 4 great, completely funded programs. I am somewhat older than most people in my cohort, but I don't mind. I certainly did not have a "golden ticket" to any of these programs, and I had no prior connections. I really, really hate any sort of "boot straps" argument--but I want to highlight that you absolutely do not need any special connections or credentials to attend a reputable, funded program. Those three years were arduous but I would do it again in a heartbeat. I just wish I could go back in time and tell my fresh-out-of-undergrad self that the world will not end if I do not attend a graduate program immediately, that people will not treat me any differently, that just because I didn't get in this time doesn't mean I don't have potential, and that the delayed gratification of attending a reputable program is a million times better than getting saddled with student debt that will seriously limit my goals of owning my own house and having a family at some point.

This ended up being longer than intended, but I do hope it is helpful for folks who think that just because the only offer they got is to a really expensive (though maybe great) program, that they have to take it. There are other options, and though they might not look appealing, they are absolutely worth considering.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19 users
With all that said, please respect the point of these forums is to give insights of the positive and negatives of what is requested from the OP. Let’s not belittle PSYD programs as a whole. It’s just plain rude lol
Not to be rude, but how is it that it's typically one side of the debate that makes calls like this about what the point of the forum is?

Look you clearly hate these type of programs.

Yes, I hate predatory programs that prey on students who don't realize that this level of debt is not commensurate with the typical remuneration for psychologists and will likely cause them to be in substantial debt for their entire lives.

Not everyone is given the golden ticket of entering a fully funded doctorate program.

Are you insinuating that students who are admitted to fully funded programs have those opportunities out of luck? Talk about "rude."

1000s of applicants apply to enter psyd programs and are willing to take on the huge debt.

Literally an argumentum ad populum fallacy. Just because they are doing this doesn't mean it's a good thing.

Most PSYD programs cost this much

No, $68,000/year is on the high end compared to even other unfunded PsyD programs.

who am i or you to say the debt isn’t worth it.

Someone who understands math and compound interest and can see that the debt from this program will greatly exceed yearly earnings?

Undergraduate students that go to out of state institutions might pay upwards of 6 figures for a bachelors degree when you take into account out of state tuition and living expenses.

Again, just because people are doing something doesn't mean they should. Those are also poor financial decisions.

Overall, Plenty of talented PSYD graduates go on to the field and succeed.

Please, quote where I said something to the contrary.

The OP was asking about psyd programs and I’m trying to provide additional information from my experience there.

And I was trying to provide additional information about why this program is a poor financial decision that will likely leave them in debt for the rest of their life. I mean, they are literally "praying" for funding at this point. That's not the sign of a wise financial or career decision.

And your second point on contracts with internships being a bad thing. That’s your perspective.

No, it's the reality of the situation. These kinds of programs use captive internships to game the match statistics, because their students are not competitive for the match process and their cohorts are too large.

I look at it as a funded APA internship opportunity in the Denver area which is HIGHLY competitive. Personally, I would like that if I just spent five years in Denver and I didn’t have to leave to finish my degree.

Yes, it's a bit absurd to have to spend thousands of dollars in the internship process and actually moving for internship, but that's how the system currently works. More importantly, you're making a completely absurd argument here. You've been vociferously defending the huge costs of this program for just tuition, but now you're balking at the cost of attending internship? It's a drop in the bucket compared to internship.

Firstly, there's a difference between giving these insights vs. providing rationalizations for why the negatives aren't really glaring red flags.

Secondly, again, quote or indicate where I "belittled PsyD programs as a whole."

Last edited:

Thank you so much! I really appreciate.

I got waitlisted at Pepperdine, but rejected also from Denver and Roosevelt. Got my master's in Psychology at Pepperdine with a 3.9 gpa, very little research experience but know what I want to specialize in and the interview went relatively smoothly. My undergrad GPA was 3.2 and my GRE scores were in the mid 150s and 4.0 for writing. Have about a year's worth of clinical experience working with population I'm interested in.
Many students are much more qualified than I am, but I think letting your personality in during the interview really sets you apart. The rejections are rough, I know what you're going through!
Thank you for your reply! I appreciate the camaraderie.

Nope. I go to a different university based PsyD program. We have small cohorts (8-12 people) and good funding. Even without funding, in state tuition is about $10k a year. They are out there.
So do I. They’re definitely out there.

I got admitted to the PsyD program at Roosevelt University this year with some funding, not a lot but I am satisfied with that. I am an undergrad student studying Applied Psychology. My GPA is 3.5+. (Major GPA is 3.7-3.8). My GRE is 327 (V 158 + Q 169).
I've been a research assistant to a neurology lab for 1.5 years and a student counselor at a college prep program for 1 year. I've shadowed/assisted psychiatrists doing therapy to patients for a summer.
When it comes to the final decision, I think what matters the most is the interview. The interview gives you a great opportunity to tell the committee that you'd be a good match and to leave them with a strong/good impression.

I got admitted to the PsyD program at Roosevelt University this year with some funding, not a lot but I am satisfied with that. I am an undergrad student studying Applied Psychology. My GPA is 3.5+. (Major GPA is 3.7-3.8). My GRE is 327 (V 158 + Q 169).
I've been a research assistant to a neurology lab for 1.5 years and a student counselor at a college prep program for 1 year. I've shadowed/assisted psychiatrists doing therapy to patients for a summer.
When it comes to the final decision, I think what matters the most is the interview. The interview gives you a great opportunity to tell the committee that you'd be a good match and to leave them with a strong/good impression.
Thank you!! Super helpful.

Does anyone have any insights/thoughts on LIU-posts program? Just got accepted today. Thank you!

Hi everyone! I am in the process of generating a list of schools I would like to apply to again, including UDenver and Roosevelt. I will also be applying to many PhD Counseling programs (ex. BU) per some of your feedback. Aside from the financial aspects of going to school (as this is easily accessible information and I am aware of what the reality is), does anyone have any firsthand experience with faculty/students/etc with any of the mentioned programs? Again, instincts based on the websites/prices are appreciated but hoping I can gather less tangible/more nuanced info via this forum. Thanks! :)

I wanted to comment on this, partially due to quarantine boredom and partially due to my experiences kind of on "both sides" of the debate:

I graduated from undergrad in 2014 with absolutely 0 idea of how graduate programs worked. I applied to programs that appealed to me based on location, and I did not care about the price tag. At the time, I had the idea that all student debt was worth it (first generation college student--my parents, bless their hearts, always encouraged me to do what I needed to do to get a good education, and I assumed that a doctorate meant hefty debt). At the time, I truly believed that I needed to get into a graduate program right away because I was eager to start my career.

Because I had no idea what I was doing, I was rejected from all but one (very pricey) master's program. I ended up accepting and attending. I won't say I regret this, primarily because the program was actually very good and allowed me to complete a master's thesis and research practicum, but I will say for 100% certainty that I wish I would have looked more critically at the price tag. Between my undergrad and my master's, I have a little over 6 figures in student debt that I really, truly wish I understood the weight of before accepting my master's offer out of desperation. The only reason that it is not affecting me as much as it could is that I live in a dual income household, and my partner does not have any student debt whatsoever and is able to work and help pay it down. If he were not in my life, things would be way more stressful.

I applied to funded-only programs after my master's program. I had 3 interviews but ultimately 0 offers. I felt devastated because, again, I was eager to start my career and for the first time in my life I wouldn't have school. I remember feeling horribly jealous of other people in my program who ended up in great programs! And here I was, doing everything I "should" be doing and not getting anywhere.

I ended up working full time for 3 years. My full time job was as a master's level clinician (minimal research), and I took on a second job as a research assistant at a major university near where I lived. I spent months looking for a paid, full time research position but ultimately I had bills that needed to get paid, and since I still wanted to get into a funded program eventually, I knew some unpaid or minimally-paid research experience on the side was better than nothing. While working as a master's level clinician (at a location which also partially served as a captive APA internship site for 2 local programs), I worked with some clinicians who had their PsyD, including my supervisor. Some were great clinicians with a solid research understanding, others...not so much. However, I did notice a trend in that of all the PsyDs I worked with, all but 1 complained of being unable to buy a house because of their debt to income ratio. They were making standard psychologist salary for our area (give or take 100k), but with student debt 200k+ (creeping towards 300k+ because of interest), they could not get approved for a loan even with a sizeable downpayment. For their student loans, the monthly interest alone was over 1000. They had bills to pay and unfortunately were not able to put the sizeable dent in their student debt they were expecting to once they became licensed and worked as a psychologist. They all also put off kids, despite wanting them, because they legitimately could not afford the costs while paying down their loans and saving for a home.

While working, I spent 2 years studying diligently for my GRE, working part-time in research, and submitting my master's thesis for publication. 3 years later and with more research experience under my belt, I ended up getting accepted to 4 great, completely funded programs. I am somewhat older than most people in my cohort, but I don't mind. I certainly did not have a "golden ticket" to any of these programs, and I had no prior connections. I really, really hate any sort of "boot straps" argument--but I want to highlight that you absolutely do not need any special connections or credentials to attend a reputable, funded program. Those three years were arduous but I would do it again in a heartbeat. I just wish I could go back in time and tell my fresh-out-of-undergrad self that the world will not end if I do not attend a graduate program immediately, that people will not treat me any differently, that just because I didn't get in this time doesn't mean I don't have potential, and that the delayed gratification of attending a reputable program is a million times better than getting saddled with student debt that will seriously limit my goals of owning my own house and having a family at some point.

This ended up being longer than intended, but I do hope it is helpful for folks who think that just because the only offer they got is to a really expensive (though maybe great) program, that they have to take it. There are other options, and though they might not look appealing, they are absolutely worth considering.

I'd just like to signal boost McMurphy's post and also register my surprise that prospective doctoral students appear to be intentionally ignoring the important points it raises.

A few that stood out to me:
1. Unfunded programs place a substantial burden on students that often translate to long-term costs to quality of life.
2. Funded programs are not beyond the reach of an applicant that is focused, patient, and diligent.

Hey,
Is anyone still waiting to hear something from St. John's Clinical Psychology program? They told me my application is in the final stages of review.