Pt ...secure Profession?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabeapharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone thinks that PT is a safe, secure career path once can successfully transition to?

I didnt know if various offices or places such as Hospitals, PT offices etc were more secure than others..The economy has had me thinking of good safe careers that can both the employee and customer/patient can benefit from

Members don't see this ad.

wannabeapharm said:
I was just wondering if anyone thinks that PT is a safe, secure career path once can successfully transition to?

I didnt know if various offices or places such as Hospitals, PT offices etc were more secure than others..The economy has had me thinking of good safe careers that can both the employee and customer/patient can benefit from

In my opinion and experience, PT is a very stable profession. The only blip on that particular radar screen was when Medicare changed the way that they payed for therapies in rehab facilities (specifically inpatient facilities that treat usually neurological disorders such as stroke, traumatic brain injury, and spinal cord injuries with medium length stays, and skilled nursing facilities). When that changed, there were a bunch of lay-offs and the market had a brief glut (really a relative glut in larger cities where the PTs were unlikely to want to move. During that time there were still more jobs available than PTs nationally) but that has since leveled out and the new grad PT has no trouble finding work.

The only PTs that have a hard time keeping their jobs are those who would have a hard time keeping a job in any profession. Bad people skills, no committment to life-long learing, failure to adapt to change and progress in the state of the art are things that cause people to be encouraged to move on.

There are a lot of opportunities, all over the country. Look in your local big city classifieds and you will see what I mean.

wannabeapharm said:

Have you checked out this info from the Occupational Outlook Handbook?
Bureau of Labor Statistics