This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissionFellowship

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a visa requiring IMG and will be applying for GI fellowship (including programs in California) during the upcoming match season.
1. Is PTAL needed for applying to the program in CA?
2. Should I have PTAL ready when I apply to the CA programs in July?

Members don't see this ad.

No. You have to be accepted into a program to get a PTAL. Regardless, after completing residency, you'll be applying for a license rather than a PTAL.

I am a visa requiring IMG and will be applying for GI fellowship (including programs in California) during the upcoming match season.
1. Is PTAL needed for applying to the program in CA?
2. Should I have PTAL ready when I apply to the CA programs in July?
For residency match, yes. The timeline is too tight, and PTAL is necessary before the match (and often before interviews). CA board is slow enough, you wouldn't be able to get it done between March and June otherwise.

For fellowship match, it's not necessary. IM fellowship match is in December, you'll have enough time to take care of it before the following June.

Edit:
And as gastrapathy said above, given you'll have a full 3 years of GME experience before starting your fellowship, you're required to apply for a full license after the match anyway. A PTAL only cuts it for the first 2-3 years.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For residency match, yes. The timeline is too tight, and PTAL is necessary before the match (and often before interviews). CA board is slow enough, you wouldn't be able to get it done between March and June otherwise.

For fellowship match, it's not necessary. IM fellowship match is in December, you'll have enough time to take care of it before the following June.

Edit:
And as gastrapathy said above, given you'll have a full 3 years of GME experience before starting your fellowship, you're required to apply for a full license after the match anyway. A PTAL only cuts it for the first 2-3 years.

Assuming I apply at the beginning of my 3rd year which is usually the case, does California programs care if you have a PTAL or not to determine if you get an IV for interview?