Public and Community Health in Ob/Gyn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Babycatcher2B

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Is anyone interested in or know of resources for public and community health in ob/gyn. I enjoy ob/gyn in general but I think I also want to be involved in promoting health and preventive medicine. Things like preventing teenage pregnancy, STDs, contraception, planned parenthood, prenatal care, etc. are things that interest me. I want to be involved in the community and the underserved populations. Anybody have in resources?? I'm not quite too sure about how I will go about doing this, but I know that's where my interest lies.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you calify "resources" please. Are you looking for programs which are strong in public health, or are you asking for books and organizations?

Can you calify "resources" please. Are you looking for programs which are strong in public health, or are you asking for books and organizations?

Whatever you have, whether it be programs, people you know who may Ob/Gyn's involved in the community, organizations, whatever.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here in DC, we have the Unity Health Care Clinics. The OB/GYN portion is staffed by our faculty (Washington Hospital Center). They are outreach clinics throughout the district that cater to the low income (including large immigrant population) in DC and have various resources including pharmacy, primary care, adoescent health (TAPP), as well as social workers to fascilitate insurance apps.

The Staff qualifies for NHS loan repayment. If interested, let me know and I'll get you in touch with their OB/GYN director who is a wonderful doctor specializing in Family Planning.

Another good resource for you is to look at the National Health Service Corp and see who they list.

Good Luck!

How about looking into getting an MPH? I feel the same as you about wanting to work in community health in OBGYN so in between my third and fourth year, i took a year off and did an MPH. This was a great decision because it connected me with other like-minded health care professionals who were interested in the same things i was. I would do that! I also matched into a obgyn program with a strong community and underserved health emphasis.

Good luck!