Public health courses sci gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hamneraway94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im just wondering if adcoms for Osteopathic schools will frown upon using public health courses to count toward science gpa? I have a good amount of public health courses i did well in but not sure if a 3.0 BCPM or 3.3 BCPM with pub health courses mixed in looks better for overall sci.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about Osteo schools but I doubt public health is science. It would be humanities or social science on AMCAS.

Obviously it will depend on the actual course content but I would consider most Biomedical Sciences and some Environmental Health courses science courses. I would consider health policy, social & behavioral health sciences, biostatistics, and the majority of epidemiology courses as non science courses. (The epidemiology exception might be a disease specific course that incorporated a significant amount of medicine, or a molecular epidemiology course which included a significant portion of bench science work.)

To add to the post above:

If you took various disease specific epidemiology courses (e.g. cardiovascular disease epidemiology, genetic epidemiology, etc.) you count those courses towards your science GPA because those courses involve a significant amount of medicine and science. However, for epidemiologic methods courses, those count as health under the AMCAS classification. Biostatistics courses can count towards mathematics which would affect your science GPA. I hope this helps.