Publication dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edieb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am in a very, very research driven PhD clinical program. I have recently run into a sticky situation with another graduate student and was wondering how to handle it:

Back in December I computed A LOT of statisitics to be used in a manuscript. However, because of data collection delays at the hospital, we had to hold off on the rest of the calculations till more data came in. After a month of running stats, I sent one of the co-authors the SPSS files with write ups. At the end of the email, I wrote, " Dr. XX wants me to remind you to put my name in the author list of this paper and any others where we use these stats."

I learned yesterday that the paper/manuscript had been submitted to the top tier journal Psychological Assessment. I sent the other graduate student an email reminding him to put my name on the author list. When he did not repsond to the polite email, I verbally asked him if my name was on the manuscript. He said in a matter-of-fact tone that he did not know to put my name on the paper and it was already submitted. When I responded that I had sent him an email reminder in December he said he must have "never received it...[you] must have never sent it." I went to my email account and printed up the email I sent (I had saved it when I sent it). I gave it to him nicely and he became all jittery and nervous. He said it was too late and he was sorry he did not remember receiving that email. Then I told him that the manuscript had not been approved yet so he could change the author list. He said "well, i guess the paper will have to be revised at some point."

I guess I am wondering how you would continue to handle the situation. I want to make sure my name will be on it -- I did a lot of the work. Would you talk to the major professor or you would you take this student's indirect word that he would change the author list?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am in a very, very research driven PhD clinical program. I have recently run into a sticky situation with another graduate student and was wondering how to handle it:

Back in December I computed A LOT of statisitics to be used in a manuscript. However, because of data collection delays at the hospital, we had to hold off on the rest of the calculations till more data came in. After a month of running stats, I sent one of the co-authors the SPSS files with write ups. At the end of the email, I wrote, " Dr. XX wants me to remind you to put my name in the author list of this paper and any others where we use these stats."

I learned yesterday that the paper/manuscript had been submitted to the top tier journal Psychological Assessment. I sent the other graduate student an email reminding him to put my name on the author list. When he did not repsond to the polite email, I verbally asked him if my name was on the manuscript. He said in a matter-of-fact tone that he did not know to put my name on the paper and it was already submitted. When I responded that I had sent him an email reminder in December he said he must have "never received it...[you] must have never sent it." I went to my email account and printed up the email I sent (I had saved it when I sent it). I gave it to him nicely and he became all jittery and nervous. He said it was too late and he was sorry he did not remember receiving that email. Then I told him that the manuscript had not been approved yet so he could change the author list. He said "well, i guess the paper will have to be revised at some point."

I guess I am wondering how you would continue to handle the situation. I want to make sure my name will be on it -- I did a lot of the work. Would you talk to the major professor or you would you take this student's indirect word that he would change the author list?

Perhaps because I've had run-ins with students before regarding similar situations, I'd go to the prof and ask him how it should be handled. Otherwise, you may never get your name listed. Who's to say that referenced student does not "forget" that you spoke with him?

I would definitely go to the prof at this point. You've tried dealing with it at the lower level and he hasn't cooperated so it's time to go above him.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above, but do you get a name on a paper by just running the stats???

Agree with above, but do you get a name on a paper by just running the stats???

Although I've been advised by some that you don't, I see it happen all the time around here.

Although I've been advised by some that you don't, I see it happen all the time around here.

Yeah my honours seminar prof said that by running stats you can usually get your name as the third author or something.

It's a shame that no profession is without its politics :(

Yeah my honours seminar prof said that by running stats you can usually get your name as the third author or something.

It's a shame that no profession is without its politics :(

Pfft, try second author here. I've got someone who ran stats who is getting a higher spot than me . . . sort of irks me because I've been involved from the beginning, probably did more work than anyone else involved, and wrote a good chunk of the manuscript to be submitted. But, this person runs a few stats (that were actually already run by the PI) and she gets a higher position on the paper. :( Suppose I should be happy I'm listed at all, even if it is third.x

I agree with everyone else to go to the professor.

You already tried to deal with it yourself and it didn't work to well so it's time to bring the big wigs in.

At the beginning of your career and trying to get into grad schools, even being the last author in a journal article is a big deal!

I was added as an author on a paper for the work I did during the rewrite process (there were substantial revisions) and it wasn't a big deal - the journal didn't comment on it. The odds that the paper will be accepted as is are pretty low - you could just wait until he gets the reviewer comments back and deal with it then.